You are here

A suggestion

Report bugs & errors with the SOS forums, and web site. Please check existing discussions before posting.

A suggestion

Postby Folderol » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:43 pm

When new people register, are they sent a welcome message? I know most sites do, but I've been here so long I forget what happens here!

Anyway, if they do, I would suggest the message invites them to say 'hello' in the lounge forum rather than anywhere else.

If they don't get any welcome message, can one be set up as above?
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Just because you know what I'm talking about, it doesn't mean I do!

Re: A suggestion

Postby blinddrew » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:57 pm

Nice idea :thumbup:
blinddrew
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Forum Admin » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:17 pm

Only just seen this topic...

Given that Musicians' Lounge and its posts are hidden to non-logged in site users, and to everyone on the footer block that we added recently to promote the forum (shown on many non-Forum pages of this site), due to the fact some topics need to come with a 'content warning' alert... I don't feel ML would be the best place to direct them.

The current link in the generic Welcome email for new site registrants takes folks to the Forum Index, so they can see what's on offer and then explore further if they wish.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS - over 9,892 quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search/all
Gear videos, tutorials, studio tours: www.soundonsound.tv

Postby ef37a » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:39 am

Said it for YEARS! We need a NOOOOB section.

I have noticed a distinct increase in very inexperience people coming to the forum, probably to escape the flaming A'Hs elsewhere!

So yes Will good idea but Mr Admin, can we politely ask them to supply Country of Residence? Makes it very hard to help folks when you don't know the mains voltage or currency!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:15 am

Dave, we do ask for Country but it’s not mandatory. Some folks are cagey about disclosing such location info and might tell fibs anyway.

We tried mandatory on v1 Forum years ago and I recall members asked for it to be optional.
Forum Admin

Postby ef37a » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:26 am

Forum Admin wrote:Dave, we do ask for Country but it’s not mandatory. Some folks are cagey about disclosing such location info and might tell fibs anyway.

We tried mandatory on v1 Forum years ago and I recall members asked for it to be optional.

I see. Well I can only conclude that there must be a lot of guys being chased by their ex'es for alimony!

Personally I am not sure I WANT to talk to people that hide their whereabouts? I will confess I lie (not to SoS!) I do not see why I should pay a license fee AND give the BBC my personal details! Other sites that want retinal colour just to download a user manual can deal with Dave Smith, born 1 April 2001!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:24 am

ef37a wrote:Said it for YEARS! We need a NOOOOB section.

So have I :(

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby blinddrew » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:46 am

But what defines a noob? I mean, given the calibre of some of our regulars, if I keep at this for another fourty years I will still be classing myself as a noob... :)
blinddrew
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:30 am

Same here. If I felt the need to ask an embarrassing but for some reason essential to me question I felt happier asking in the old Newbies forum. I know the counter argument is if a question's worth asking it's worth asking where everyone can see it and it's a good argument, but the advantage of a specific forum for newbies and the terminally embarrassed is it helps overcome that shyness.

Still, this is probably a battle lost long ago. Never mind.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:47 pm

Perhaps we are all Noobs and it would be better to have Noob designations like Ensign, Commander or Grand Imperial Wazoo?

I know the more I learn the less I realize I know so in essence I am devolving into Toilet Scrubbing Noob!
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:11 pm

In one very important respect SoS forum decidedly does NOT need a newb section and that is people are always unfailingly polite and do not demean anyone regardless of the "noobness" of the question. However, before HR and PW lean back in their Eames chairs and say "told ya!", THEY do not understand the situation because they have never been newbs, at least in the score or so of years I have been aware of them.

I had been reading SoS for a long time before I got a computer, even then it was some time before I had mastered (sort of!) getting the forum working, it was years before I dared formulate a question!

I have been interested in electronics, especially audio 'tronics since age 14 or so. Built amps in my teens and, having gained some lowly qualifications, made a career in electronics servicing. However, even though I was well ahead of many here in electronics and audio matters (tape recs, decibabble) my knowledge of COMPUTER audio was zilch and my attempts to get it working very fraught.

I did eventually buck up and ask but for someone devoid of even Ohm's law to start a post must take massive courage.

The gents mentioned above and others simply do not know quite HOW intimidating this magnificent 'machine' is!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Kwackman » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:34 pm

ef37a wrote:The gents mentioned above and others simply do not know quite HOW intimidating this magnificent 'machine' is!

I don't think this place is intimating and judging by the number of first time posters that appear each week, I'm not alone.
I belong to other Forums where there are "Newbie" or "Welcome" forums which fill up with pointless postings of "Hello, I'm new here" followed by scores of "welcomes".
It just decreases the signal to noise ratio.

Topics started by first time posters here quite often get replies which start "Welcome to the Forums, ..." and then go on to answer the question asked. (Martin Walker & Zen Guitar amongst others do this a lot). This (current) is a much better system, IMHO.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby ef37a » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:42 pm

Kwackman wrote:
ef37a wrote:The gents mentioned above and others simply do not know quite HOW intimidating this magnificent 'machine' is!

I don't think this place is intimating and judging by the number of first time posters that appear each week, I'm not alone.
I belong to other Forums where there are "Newbie" or "Welcome" forums which fill up with pointless postings of "Hello, I'm new here" followed by scores of "welcomes".
It just decreases the signal to noise ratio.

Topics started by first time posters here quite often get replies which start "Welcome to the Forums, ..." and then go on to answer the question asked. (Martin Walker & Zen Guitar amongst others do this a lot). This (current) is a much better system, IMHO.

Well, I mean intimidating to someone like me, electronically and audio savvy but was a total noob/numpty regarding computers (took me the LONGEST time to work out what a 'DAW' was!) but I agree, someone who is a technically illiterate, airhead, wannabee bedroom rock star, they will just put both feet in.

Yes you will get the pointless, " I am f'skn*55 and have 30 pound USB mic and want to know how to make hit records" but you just leave them alone if you want to. I generally give them ONE reply such as "Get an AI, a decent mic, some cans and come back with a track". Mostly you never see them again.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:25 am

I have also argued for a Newbies forum in the past, and I would still argue that one is needed now. I feel sure (and have been told on occasions) that the lack of one is discouraging to newcomers.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby ef37a » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:39 am

The Elf wrote:I have also argued for a Newbies forum in the past, and I would still argue that one is needed now. I'm feel sure (and have been told on occasions) that the lack of one is discouraging to newcomers.

It has just occurred to me Elf that this might be a 'resource' thing?

SoS does not have auto-save neither can you attach files. This annoys the breasts off me personally but I do understand (a bit) when I am told they cannot run to such luxuries.

If the lack of a newb section IS due to this reason and not a "political" decision, I shall cease and desist from mentioning it again!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:08 am

I can certainly see how a newbie forum would heavily test the Pareto principle...
blinddrew
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Forum Admin » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:13 am

ef37a wrote:SOS [Forum] does not have auto-save neither can you attach files. This annoys the breasts off me personally but I do understand (a bit) when I am told they cannot run to such luxuries.

It's not a question of affording it financially, Dave, it's manpower to police it. We did offer image/file uploads years ago on a 3rd party platform, but some t**t stupidly uploaded a copyright track and we were told (rightly) to take it down, so I introduced the policy. If F/book, YouTube etc can't 'afford' humans to police uploaded content, how do you think SOS could cope with it?

The mod team works on a daily basis removing spam posts, and the poster's back office account, which detracts from us all doing other more important things. If we had to police image uploads and MP3s etc, I felt it would be a potential nightmare that we could do without, hence the policy of no uploads directly by members. It's hard enough vetting Readers' Ads each day, so vetting Forum uploads would be a time-consuming process we simply cannot offer -- and relying on post-upload removal after publication leaves us wide-open to image abuse.
Forum Admin

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:05 pm

I just couldn't imagine spending my days reading virtually every word that ends up here looking for the hateful, deceitful and the offensive. Thanks for that. I hope there is some small consolation like every time something inappropriate is removed there is the accompanying sound of a toilet flushing or a nice Badum Tish!
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:26 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:I just couldn't imagine spending my days reading virtually every word that ends up here looking for the hateful, deceitful and the offensive. Thanks for that.

We have a fairly well-behaved, focused collection of Forum members here, and they are very good at alerting the mod team when unsavoury posts are made, which helps keep this a calm oasis in the virtual world.
Forum Admin

Postby Alvvays » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:30 am

Some people don't like to introduce themselves (at least me). I quite resist providing information and also don't know what to say in the introduction.
Alvvays
New here

Next