You are here

A suggestion

Report bugs & errors with the SOS forums, and web site. Please check existing discussions before posting.

Re: A suggestion

Postby Forum Admin » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:48 am

ManFromGlass wrote:Perhaps we are all Noobs and it would be better to have Noob designations like Ensign, Commander or Grand Imperial Wazoo?

'Commander' to me implies a leader... with experience (hence not a newbie).
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS - 10,216 quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
SOS Tutorials: www.soundonsound.com/tutorials

Postby Forum Admin » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:52 am

Alvvays wrote:I quite resist providing information and also don't know what to say in the introduction.

Welcome.

Understandable, but it really helps members to help you (and others) if you could at minimum provide your Location in your forum signature, as this affects gear pricing, legalities for publishing rights, etc.

Location is to be found in your MY ACCOUNT screen on the Edit > Profile tab.

It doesn't have to be 100% accurate, just accurate to the nearest continent/country.
Forum Admin

Postby Dynamic Mike » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:33 am

I think this place is great for noobs. Most similar sites welcome your first post with RTFM and then add when you've R'd TFM, blame your 3rd party software/OS/mother/life-choices etc. I do wonder though whether noobs find some of the post counts off-putting? It's easy to assume post quantity equates to knowledge... I offer myself as an example that no such correlation can be proven! Are these necessary?

People also forget (or don't know if they weren't around then) that back when you had a newbie section only about 3 regulars ever visited it & responded to queries, which must have been a bit of a chore for them.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Non-partisan suggestion for Stroke City: Donderry 

Postby ef37a » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:17 am

"Same old same old" Mike.
Yes! SoS forum IS very noob friendly, it just does not SEEM so to the raw noob IMHO.

People (and I include myself in this) like a place to start where they feel they won't be judged. SoS magazine and forum IS The Best in The World (again IMO) and as such most folks feel trepidation about asking for help. TELLING those people "look, ask here, you will not get belittled" is useful. "WE" know we are not going to blast back with "RTFM!" but THEY don't!

As for your point Mike that 'noob duty' tends to fall to a few individuals? I spent 30 yrs setting up and demonstrating ever more sophisticated domestic electronics (VCRs got bloody clever!) and had to go through the same spiel day in, day out. I may not be PC cute but I CAN do that and am happy to help run the basics in a newb section.

BTW, Noticed no Reader's Questions in the current mag'? If due to lack of space maybe that tells us something about priorities?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Kwackman » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:07 am

ef37a wrote:Yes! SoS forum IS very noob friendly, it just does not SEEM so to the raw noob IMHO.

Have you any evidence for this perceived unfriendliness?
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby ef37a » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:33 am

Kwackman wrote:
ef37a wrote:Yes! SoS forum IS very noob friendly, it just does not SEEM so to the raw noob IMHO.

What evidence do you have for this perceived unfriendliness?

There is no evidence because it is not there! The point is you cannot KNOW that until you try and the newb is not given any kind of an "easy in".

Surely you have felt nervous at your first time at a big bank where everyone else knew exactly what to do but you didn't? Moving up to the Big School? I am in my 73rd year but 'I' remember theses things. Maybe yo'all made of sterner stuff?

In a nutshell you might even say that the very fact that the 'Old Guard' see no need for a newb section demonstrates why you need one!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:14 am

We could post a "SOS welcomes Newbies" topic and make it a global announcement sticky so that it shows in every sub-forum, and remains there?
Forum Admin

Postby ef37a » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:27 am

Forum Admin wrote:We could post a "SOS welcomes Newbies" topic and make it a global announcement sticky so that it shows in every sub-forum, and remains there?
Seconded.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:06 am

Agree, a simple thread to that effect, with a quick statement to say that we're all learning and reinforce the 'no dumb questions' message would be a very welcoming gesture I think.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Watchmaker » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:14 am

I'm relatively new to the forum and joined only after watching the regulars for awhile. I never considered a n00b forum and personally don't see a need.

I like the idea of a sticky, but I'd caution against thinking of newbs as a monolithic block of potential participants. There seems to be a high percentage of people who join to get one specific question answered, e.g. "my church group sits in an echoey hall and we can't understand each other, what cheap gear do you recommend?" Others, like myself, who are coming here to engage in community and learn, will take on a different role. I don't see how creating a specific forum based on the amount of time one's been participating facilitates engagement, but that might just be my n00bness.

Either way, it's an interesting puzzle in human behavior. I'll shut up now.
Watchmaker
Regular
"one feels most reassured hearing an expert's opinions on the matter..."

Postby Forum Admin » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:42 am

Watchmaker wrote:I don't see how creating a specific forum based on the amount of time one's been participating facilitates engagement, but that might just be my n00bness.

The Newbs forum didn't work in v2 of this forum years ago, hence why it was not continued with in this v3 Forum. Lots of forum folks discover the forum via Google and other search engines, then come to that specific topic and ask their question in a topic they already deem to be related to their question. The global sticky seems a better solution to me.
Forum Admin

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:55 pm

Can I just point out that I'm typically approving three or four genuine 'newbie' posts pretty much every single day and I expect Andy is too, so from my perspective there really doesn't seem to be this mythical impediment that prevents newcomers asking simple basic questions. They are coming, they are asking, and while many didsappear once their specific issue has been resolved a good few stay and ask more and get more involved over time.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby blinddrew » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:06 pm

Useful data :thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ef37a » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:17 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Can I just point out that I'm typically approving three or four genuine 'newbie' posts pretty much every single day and I expect Andy is too, so from my perspective there really doesn't seem to be this mythical impediment that prevents newcomers asking simple basic questions. They are coming, they are asking, and while many didsappear once their specific issue has been resolved a good few stay and ask more and get more involved over time.

H

Sterling work Hugh but I must point out yet again, not known to the trembling newcomer.
It is that first step that I want making easier.

But people are strange! I post as much at HR as here and in their noob section I have had guys ask questions about 20 grand's worth of audio and computer kit! NOT my definition of a struggling, cash strapped muso.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:21 pm

Dave, that’s precisely why we don’t have a Newbs forum.

The newbs global announcement will be posted tomorrow.
Forum Admin

Postby ef37a » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:32 pm

Forum Admin wrote:Dave, that’s precisely why we don’t have a Newbs forum.

The newbs global announcement will be posted tomorrow.

Does not matter! I just tell the rich illegitimates to RTFMs! And, for every ***t, I get to help 10 or more genuine 'know nearly nothings' a month.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Dynamic Mike » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:21 pm

ef37a wrote:I post as much at HR as here and in their noob section I have had guys ask questions about 20 grand's worth of audio and computer kit! NOT my definition of a struggling, cash strapped muso.

It depends on whether you define noobs as being new to the business, or new to the forum. For example, you could have a 20 G's worth of live gear & years of experience of being recorded, yet never have recorded anything more complex than a voicemail message yourself. You could probably justify pro & home/amateur recording sections, but then people would tend to gravitate to one or the other & a lot of shared knowledge would be lost.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Non-partisan suggestion for Stroke City: Donderry 

Postby ef37a » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:12 am

I suppose Mike, if I HAD to come up with a definition of a noob it would be someone who, regardless of gear inventory or experience in other technical areas, feels they cannot join the "mainstream" of obviously expert sound people in a forum.

My mention of the Rich Dick was perhaps wrong in that he had the right to post in the noob section, I just felt he was clogging it up for more deserving cases!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Kwackman » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:32 am

ef37a wrote:Sterling work Hugh but I must point out yet again, not known to the trembling newcomer.
It is that first step that I want making easier.

We obviously have different opinions on this, but I don't think SOS should put resources into a perceived problem, just in case it exists.
You have already said there is no evidence of this "trembling newcomer".
From my (not extensive) experience on other forums visited on a daily basis, both music related and non music related, this SOS forum is by far the friendliest of those especially to newcomers.
YMMV
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby garrettendi » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:01 am

We all start somewhere, and I hugely appreciated the welcome and help I got here when I was new, and knew even less than I know now.
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
Despite my post count, I know nothing. Think of me as the court jester!

PreviousNext