You are here

A suggestion

Report bugs & errors with the SOS forums, and web site. Please check existing discussions before posting.

Re: A suggestion

Postby Forum Admin » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:48 am

ManFromGlass wrote:Perhaps we are all Noobs and it would be better to have Noob designations like Ensign, Commander or Grand Imperial Wazoo?

'Commander' to me implies a leader... with experience (hence not a newbie).
User avatar
Forum Admin
Moderator
Posts: 2692
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:00 pm
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS - over 9,894 quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search/all
Gear videos, tutorials, studio tours: www.soundonsound.tv

Re: A suggestion

Postby Forum Admin » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:52 am

Alvvays wrote:I quite resist providing information and also don't know what to say in the introduction.

Welcome.

Understandable, but it really helps members to help you (and others) if you could at minimum provide your Location in your forum signature, as this affects gear pricing, legalities for publishing rights, etc.

Location is to be found in your MY ACCOUNT screen on the Edit > Profile tab.

It doesn't have to be 100% accurate, just accurate to the nearest continent/country.
User avatar
Forum Admin
Moderator
Posts: 2692
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:00 pm
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS - over 9,894 quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search/all
Gear videos, tutorials, studio tours: www.soundonsound.tv

Re: A suggestion

Postby Dynamic Mike » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:33 am

I think this place is great for noobs. Most similar sites welcome your first post with RTFM and then add when you've R'd TFM, blame your 3rd party software/OS/mother/life-choices etc. I do wonder though whether noobs find some of the post counts off-putting? It's easy to assume post quantity equates to knowledge... I offer myself as an example that no such correlation can be proven! Are these necessary?

People also forget (or don't know if they weren't around then) that back when you had a newbie section only about 3 regulars ever visited it & responded to queries, which must have been a bit of a chore for them.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2766
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:00 am

Non-partisan suggestion for Stroke City: Donderry 


Re: A suggestion

Postby ef37a » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:17 am

"Same old same old" Mike.
Yes! SoS forum IS very noob friendly, it just does not SEEM so to the raw noob IMHO.

People (and I include myself in this) like a place to start where they feel they won't be judged. SoS magazine and forum IS The Best in The World (again IMO) and as such most folks feel trepidation about asking for help. TELLING those people "look, ask here, you will not get belittled" is useful. "WE" know we are not going to blast back with "RTFM!" but THEY don't!

As for your point Mike that 'noob duty' tends to fall to a few individuals? I spent 30 yrs setting up and demonstrating ever more sophisticated domestic electronics (VCRs got bloody clever!) and had to go through the same spiel day in, day out. I may not be PC cute but I CAN do that and am happy to help run the basics in a newb section.

BTW, Noticed no Reader's Questions in the current mag'? If due to lack of space maybe that tells us something about priorities?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 8746
Joined: Sun May 28, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: northampton uk

Re: A suggestion

Postby Kwackman » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:07 am

ef37a wrote:Yes! SoS forum IS very noob friendly, it just does not SEEM so to the raw noob IMHO.

Have you any evidence for this perceived unfriendliness?
User avatar
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1056
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:00 am
Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

Re: A suggestion

Postby ef37a » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:33 am

Kwackman wrote:
ef37a wrote:Yes! SoS forum IS very noob friendly, it just does not SEEM so to the raw noob IMHO.

What evidence do you have for this perceived unfriendliness?

There is no evidence because it is not there! The point is you cannot KNOW that until you try and the newb is not given any kind of an "easy in".

Surely you have felt nervous at your first time at a big bank where everyone else knew exactly what to do but you didn't? Moving up to the Big School? I am in my 73rd year but 'I' remember theses things. Maybe yo'all made of sterner stuff?

In a nutshell you might even say that the very fact that the 'Old Guard' see no need for a newb section demonstrates why you need one!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 8746
Joined: Sun May 28, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: northampton uk

Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ef37a