You are here

Help connecting XLR to RCA ON MY EQ

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Help connecting XLR to RCA ON MY EQ

Postby robbie50 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:33 pm

Hi everyone,
I’m new here so forgive me if I break any site etiquettes.
My problem is this, I’m a semi novice PA builder, I’ve built the speakers (2 x sub boxes with 1 x 15” sub in each and 2 Mid boxes, low mid and high mid and s horn to top off the HF)

I’ve connected it all to a cheap amp so if I fry the amp I won’t be too upset.

My question is this:

I just purchased a BBE EQA-231 EQ. on the back panel there are two channels A & B with in/out XLR ports per Chanel.

The cheap amp has 2 RCA audio inputs and 1 RCA line output.
I would post photos but I don’t think I can on here.

I’m at a loss as to how to connect this, I’ve tried every conceivable way and it doesn’t work. I get noisy sound from one channel and none from the other or I get it out of both but no control using the Gain control on the EQ.

Am I trying to fit a round peg in a round hole here or is there a work around? I’ve bought a stack of XLR to rca cables and have tried all sorts of connections that my speakers didn’t like!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Rob
robbie50

Re: Help connecting XLR to RCA ON MY EQ

Postby ef37a » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:00 pm

Hi Rob and welcome.

Firstly, have you tried the amplifier and speakers e.g. the RCA outs of a tape or cassette machine? A phone?

Assuming that all works, what are you driving the EQ with? I am sure you know but the balanced outputs of the eq should connect pin 1 of the XLR to the screen of the RCA plug and pin 2 XLR to the tip. You can check that very quickly with your test meter, I mean, you are NOT going to tell us you built all that kit without one, are you?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby robbie50 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:37 am

Hi Dave,
Thanks for your reply. I have tested the amp through my laptop and CD player and it sounds really good, low non noticeable noise at high volume I could almost just use that amp which has a 5 band EQ built in but that’s not enough for me, I like to tweet the sound. And I have and always use my multi meter from testing the impedance of the speaker stack to testing my cables etc.

I’m beginning to think I got what I paid for with the amp. It was one of the $60 ones on eBay. Like I said I wanted to get everything working without frying my good amps (Australian Monitor) I know they’re robust amps but not worth the risk.

I just bought a signal switch splitter with a combination of either 6 in and 2 out or 6 out and 2 in which will give me ample amounts of input/output ports (one thing I’m lacking on that cheap amp!)
Do you think the switch box will resolve the issue with the lack of RCA ports on my amp?
So how would you recommend connecting the EQ that has 2 channels and 4 XLR in/outputs on it.

I also have a 3 way stereo/4 way mono Citronic CX 34 active crossover that I’m having the same issue with being able to connect it but that’s a separate issue when I decide to bi amp my speakers

Thanks again
Rob
robbie50

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:59 am

robbie50 wrote:Hi Dave,
Thanks for your reply. I have tested the amp through my laptop and CD player and it sounds really good, low non noticeable noise at high volume I could almost just use that amp which has a 5 band

Sounds like the amp is not the problem then.

I just bought a signal switch splitter with a combination of either 6 in and 2 out or 6 out and 2 in which will give me ample amounts of input/output ports (one thing I’m lacking on that cheap amp!)
Do you think the switch box will resolve the issue with the lack of RCA ports on my amp?
So how would you recommend connecting the EQ that has 2 channels and 4 XLR in/outputs on it.

A wiring diagram of you proposed rig would be extremely helpful, you'll have to host the image elsewhere and then you can link to the image.

I also have a 3 way stereo/4 way mono Citronic CX 34 active crossover that I’m having the same issue with being able to connect it but that’s a separate issue when I decide to bi amp my speakers

An active crossover doesn't work with speaker level signals, without it how are you sending signal to the various speakers drivers (i.e. do you have passive crossovers built into the various cabs)?

Wiring diagram please :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby robbie50 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:03 am

Yes amp works
Yes I have a 3 way passive crossovers installed
Yes I got the EQ to work today but only one channel controlling both sets of speaker sets. I have to say WOW what a difference the 31 band EQ made to the sound even though it was working in mono.
I’m trying to work out how to get the diagrams on this thread. I will work it out. It will be interesting to hear your opinions on this.
robbie50

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:08 pm

robbie50 wrote:I’m trying to work out how to get the diagrams on this thread. I will work it out. It will be interesting to hear your opinions on this.

I use https://imgur.com/ Never any problems... :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:42 pm

Me too :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........