You are here

Odd behaviour

Report bugs & errors with the SOS forums, and web site. Please check existing discussions before posting.

Odd behaviour

Postby Humf » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:15 am

I'm finding some very odd behaviour on the forum. I post a reply to a topic and submit successfully. Returning to the forum topic list, my latest post isn't displayed under the topic title as the latest post. Clicking into the topic, the post isn't visible. But I think the post displays in 'Latest activity' so I know it's there somewhere.

I've also noticed the time shown at the top of the forum index is sometimes incorrect. Feels like the browser is stuck using cache rather than refreshing. But changing onto a different machine just now gives similar weirdness...

What on earth is going on?!
Humf
Poster

Re: Odd behaviour

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:52 am

Ah... the mysteries of the SOS forums. :lol: Over the years I've just learned to accept that it does weird things sometimes, for no obvious reason. :crazy:

Often, it's because the man with the hammer and spanners is doing something clever in the engine room ...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Humf » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:25 am

OK! Understood.

Do I assume my two repeat/similar posts on Mac forum in the early morning are lost?! (about 1am on the MIDI controller thread)

Thanks
Humf
Poster

Postby zenguitar » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:34 am

Usually it's user error. Clicking the wrong button as our mind has rushed off ahead is the usual candidate. So if you accidentally click Preview you see the post as it appears and can think you've posted and close the window. Or you might check to see if you've saved it as a draft.

And how do I know these things happen? Because I've done it myself in the past :crazy:

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Postby rockydennis » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:04 pm

I've seen what the OP is talking about - when I click on a thread Recent Topics section, it will sometimes not have the most recent post that will be seen when clicking on the same thread from the New Forum Post section - but it does appear eventually. If I remove the f= (some number) in the url, I'll see the latest post.
rockydennis
Poster

Postby wireman » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:18 pm

Could that be during the 'edit window'?
wireman
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:27 pm

rockydennis wrote:I've seen what the OP is talking about - when I click on a thread Recent Topics section, it will sometimes not have the most recent post that will be seen when clicking on the same thread from the New Forum Post section - but it does appear eventually.

That sounds like a result of the way the forum website updates itself and refreshes the caches. I know some page updates are prioritised over others, and refreshes are limited to minimise the underlying processing so that other aspects of the website can be more responsive.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Arpangel » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:38 pm

Talking about odd behaviour, there have been some strange posts lately, to the point where I’m thinking it’s someone taking the Mickey, if "I’m" saying that, then they must be strange!

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:12 pm

Arpangel wrote:Talking about odd behaviour, there have been some strange posts lately, to the point where I’m thinking it’s someone taking the Mickey, if "I’m" saying that, then they must be strange!

:D

If we weren't odd it wouldn't be normal.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby Humf » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:18 pm

Took the words out of my mouth shufflebeat

Just had the same weirdness again... I think it’s linked to being logged in or not?

On iOS I downloaded Chrome (not my normal browser) and viewed this thread logged out. Only my original post displayed. Logged in and then I saw 8 or so replies

Anyway... chrome alerted me to the fact you now support Tapatalk, which I use for various other forums like Blackmagic, so I’m giving that a go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Humf
Poster

Postby CS70 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:03 pm

Humf wrote:What on earth is going on?!

Do you set the computer clock manually or are you using an internet time server? If your local clock is not in sync with the website (which, I assume, will use a time server) you will get all kind of weird behavior since your browser will send incorrect timestamps.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Humf » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:05 pm

Thanks. Most issues have been on an iPhone using Safari, which I assume is in sync?

So far Tapatalk working well...

Humf
Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:16 pm

Humf wrote:So far Tapatalk working well...

Apart from posting in triplicate!

(I've removed two of the copies in your choir thread)
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Humf » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:20 pm

Thanks!

Couldn’t believe the luck of that happening. Tech can be so cruel

Humf
Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:03 pm

Hi Humf

To add to the craziness, we have to use Caches on various parts of the Forum to stop it falling over. Some are set at 1 hour, some at longer durations. And it all works differently if you are logged-out, as you found.

The forum time displays are set/defined in your Forum Profile (see your MY ACCOUNT at top of the page/screen) on the Regional Settings tab (see image below).

Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 17.00.51.jpg
Set Forum times in MY ACCOUNT > Regional Settings tab

If you have not registered you will not have a MY ACCOUNT and can therefore not set your own timezone.
Hope this helps demystify the dark side of the SOS Forum. :-)
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,625 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search