You are here

Help!

Exploring the tools and techniques for long-distance recording projects.

Help!

Postby The Bunk » Sat May 10, 2014 9:57 am

...Boy am I glad this is here...!
I read the article in the last SOS about online collaboration but I'm doing something at a very basic level and I'm just wondering if I'm going the best way about it.
Basically, I record a backing track and post it on Soundcloud. Matey at the other end downloads it, plays his bits and puts them on Soundlcoud. I download them at my end and add them to may project (in Reaper). I then put the finished article onto Soundcloud.
It all seems to work fine, but he then puts that song to his home-made video on Youtube. The final version I put up on Soundcloud is fine (admittedly pushed volume-wise to the max) but the version that appears on Youtube has what sounds like very unsubtle compression, or at least a noticeable inconsistency in sound. Am I likely to have gone too loud on my final version or is there something else going on? And is posting tracks on Soundcloud for downloading the best way to go about it?
The Bunk
Frequent Poster
2 answers; 799 questions and about 58 "Mornington Crescent" posts.

Re: Help!

Postby Folderol » Sun May 11, 2014 2:11 pm

Soundcloud is probably not the optimum medeum, but should work OK. What format are you sending files to each other? Should be wav really and seeing as you're doing a lot of 're-work' preferably the wav header with 24 bit PCM encoding - not all players and recorders can handle that. Audacity does.

I think youtube applies it's own compression to audio content, so that might be the source of your unpleasant compression artifacts.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby The Elf » Sun May 11, 2014 2:14 pm

Try a shared folder using something like Dropbox, or OneDrive, or the like. I can't imagine doing this kind of stuff through Soundcloud.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Guest » Sun May 11, 2014 2:51 pm

I have found that Soundcloud seems to do something unpleasant to the audio.

Box.com is very good for collaborations - and free.

Postby The Bunk » Sun May 11, 2014 5:06 pm

Thanks for the help all; I've used different formats (including FLAC, WAV, and have actually ripped a CD version and sent it that way).
I'll look into OneDrive; I've tried using DropBox but am encountering frustrating difficulties when opening it ("You're not registered"...I register..."We've already got that email address registered" and so on....aaaargh!!)
I use Reaper which offers the option to render at 24 bit PCM.
And presumably it's worth notching the volume down a bit if Youtube are going to butcher it anyway??
The Bunk
Frequent Poster

Postby dazzathedrummer » Mon May 12, 2014 12:35 pm

I've never had any problems with YouTube for stuff that I've mastered myself - are you sure the other guy didn't do stuff to the mix himself before uploading it?
dazzathedrummer
Poster
DazzatheDrummer

Postby The Bunk » Mon May 12, 2014 2:50 pm

...I've never had problems with my material now you mention it Dazz; but if he downloads from Soundcloud into Audacity and then adds that track to whatever video software he's using, that could be the issue? I'm pretty certain he doesn't do anything with it, mainly because I'm not sure he knows how to! He's a sh*t hot guitarist but a self-confessed technophobe so I'm pretty sure he just downloads it into Audacity and leaves it as it is.
I'm trying the OneDrive route at the moment...
The Bunk
Frequent Poster

Postby apejrolo » Tue May 13, 2014 1:56 am

Hi,

In general, I advise using SoundCloud only to quickly share ideas and sketches. For final takes exchange you should use services that don't use lossy compression algorithms. SoundCloud and Youtube use audio format that are based on lossy formats. DropBox, Gobbler and Box (just to mention a few) allow you to send/receive audio files in their original lossless format such as WAV or AIFF, for examples. Most of these services allow you to have a 5GB account for free.

Best regards,

Andrea
apejrolo

Postby Mixedup » Tue May 13, 2014 11:05 am

I've not checked lately, but Soundcloud used to offer the user the option to make an uncompressed version available for download. Granted, the uploader and downloader needed to know about it in order no to confuse compressed and uncompressed, but it did make it a viable collaboration tool. I agree that the bouncing of ideas via Soundcloud is useful - partly because of the comment facility, and partly because of the ability to create playlists: eg alternative song sections to audition together!
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Tue May 13, 2014 11:50 pm

Soundcloud is currently on a nose-dive. Classic is due top be switched off this week, and the new version is woefully inadequate for any real musician/musician interraction :frown:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby The Bunk » Sat May 17, 2014 12:54 pm

Thanks for the help all; we've binned the Soundcloud route (apart from sharing ideas) and gone DropBox / OneDrive. I've re-uploaded from my end to Youtube and it's spot-on, much better. Cheers.
The Bunk
Frequent Poster