You are here

How important is visual connectivity during real-time virtual collaboration?

Exploring the tools and techniques for long-distance recording projects.

How important is visual connectivity during real-time virtual collaboration?

Postby JohnNortonMusic » Sun May 18, 2014 3:56 pm

Coberning Real-time collaboration software, How important do you believe it is to have visual interaction?

Take products such as OhmStudio and Kompoz. These are examples of cloud composition software, on the other hand Steinberg's VST Connect is more about actually creating the effect that you are in the same room as another individual. Is virtual connectivity even relevant for this?
JohnNortonMusic
Poster

Re: How important is visual connectivity during real-time virtual collaboration?

Postby Thomas. » Mon May 19, 2014 6:36 am

I'd say it depends on the collaborators. There are plenty of bands who record everything as individual parts, and never actually play the songs together until the live tour (Def Leppard, Guns and Roses spring to mind), and so even though they are in the same recording studio, the only actual face-to-face they have is with the engineer and Producer. There are others (Motörhead, Status Quo etc.) who effectively record live in the studio. So for them, visual context would be paramount.
Thomas.
Regular

Re: How important is visual connectivity during real-time virtual collaboration?

Postby Folderol » Mon May 19, 2014 9:44 pm

Not only does it depend on the collaborators as Thomas mentions, it can quite critically depend on the system latency. If the video is significantly out of sync with the audio, you'd be far better off without it!
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Exalted Wombat » Tue May 20, 2014 1:01 pm

Thomas. wrote:I'd say it depends on the collaborators. There are plenty of bands who record everything as individual parts, and never actually play the songs together until the live tour.

Good gracious! How do they know what their parts ARE if they haven't rehearsed together previously?
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Postby Thomas. » Tue May 20, 2014 5:29 pm

Exalted Wombat wrote:
Thomas. wrote:I'd say it depends on the collaborators. There are plenty of bands who record everything as individual parts, and never actually play the songs together until the live tour.

Good gracious! How do they know what their parts ARE if they haven't rehearsed together previously?

Obviously I'm going on second-hand info here, but my understanding is that they might rough something out together in rehearsal, but when it comes to the fine detail they do their things individually around the agreed framework/rhythm guitar/guide vocal.
Thomas.
Regular

Postby Mixedup » Tue May 20, 2014 7:47 pm

I'd say it depends on latency, who is collaborating, what the collaborators are doing (just musicians working together or an engineer advising on mic placement etc) and the nature of the material. Sometimes a chat on skype or some such can be useful. Sometimes a camera in the room. Sometimes audio-only links are fine.
Mixedup
Jedi Poster