You are here

Online Collaboration Situation

Exploring the tools and techniques for long-distance recording projects.

Online Collaboration Situation

Postby Pazu » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:16 pm

I come up with eclectic original compositions on my own, but though it might be interesting to remote collaborate on an original song with a similarly goaled singer/songwriter.

I work in Garageband '11 24b 44,100 or Adobe Audition.

In any event, I would enjoy discussion on the general matter of singer/songwriter home recording and remote collaborative recording, track exchanges, inclusions of hooky snippets, that sort of thing. Could be fun and lead to interesting new music that people might want to hear more of.

I see that box.com offers 10gb 'free' - seems like that would do it. I had thought the same of another service, but then got swamped with popups; it was unuseable.

I have two tracks into one remote collaborator now, who is working on adding syth effect drums, & I swap tracks with another, just comparing each others' work and discussing.

Welcoming any thoughts on the general matter of remote collaborative recording.

John D.
Pazu
Regular

Re: Online Collaboration Situation

Postby Pazu » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:47 am

I was able to easily set up a box.com account, and have some audio files out now to be reviewed, haven't heard back yet as to whether the collaborators are having trouble with the two AIFF-C files that I sent them links to. I hope to send full .band Garageband '11 files - in fact, I will test that next.

I don't think that my potential GB 'll collaborator, has plugins. I wonder if that will change values in my files as opened by them...

John D.
Pazu
Regular

Postby Pazu » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:02 pm

I have shifted to using a DR-5 to record via a UB-802, so now I'm working 24b/32b floating /96K and Adobe Audition CS6. Layed down some guitar tracks that I could collaborate with if anyone were interested.

Whatever you do with your singing/songwriting/recording/collaborating, just do it more!
Pazu
Regular

Postby Pazu » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:36 pm

Since nobody talks on this thread I'll use it to document the story of my life. I've now snagged 3 collaborators from US Craigslist, that were fairly local to me geographically. I have met one at an open mic and have two more coming in for the next one. So, I've learned that at least with nearby players, seeking online collaboration, can at least prime live collaborations. The drummer collaborator, disappeared back into the mist but another guy has laid down a bass track and a guitar track to two of my tunes that I sent him. This was enough of a demonstration of his drive and willingness to work with me, that I will meet up and try to get something going.
Pazu
Regular

Postby The Elf » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:24 pm

I admire your persistence!

I know of collaborative projects that have worked well, and a couple of my friends have some very impressive covers on Youtube to show for it.

It's a shame folks seem shy to get involved with you, and it's not for me, I'm afraid, but hopefully this bump might help to drum up a few more hits for you! :)
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Pazu » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:17 pm

Well thanks, Elf.

It would be fun to work remotely with someone from another country, get chops down then do a dual country low-budget tour, play host for a few weeks, do a slew of small places, sell CD's, then be hosted for a few weeks out of country, do another slew of small places, sell CD's there as well, if it were legal. Would be fun for me to get out of the states for once, experience another culture through a fellow singer/songwriter and music etc. A bit much to hope for, I expect. Until then... It's open mic nite.
Pazu
Regular

Postby 4TrackMadman » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:33 pm

Hey Pazu, hit me up for collab if interested, I do pretty much all styles, play guitar and bass and can program some drums.

This song Egregore - Hive Mind actually came up from a collaboration with a drummer on Groovezoo (now defunct). He recorded his take over stems I supplied and it turned out quite good. Most of my other online collabs usually petered out but I do have a few friends that record parts for me occasionally.

I've been trying other sites, so far blend.io seems to be best as it links to dropbox acct, but honestly I am mostly using soundcloud and dropbox.
4TrackMadman
Frequent Poster
http://www.descentintomadness.com

Postby blinddrew » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:35 pm

The whole field of online collaboration is something I'm interested in but I know that I currently don't have the time to spare for it so i'd just be messing people about.
Maybe after that lottery win comes in...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby dwaynem » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:53 am

Sonar User - Are you Looking for Online EDM Collaboration with someone in another country?

How about Australia?

examples of prior work here: https://soundcloud.com/futureofnow

Cheers
Dwayne
dwaynem

Postby sixtysixmix » Thu May 12, 2016 1:29 pm

HI,

I think the thing that makes people reticent about online collaborations is the lack of a trusted environment in which to search, discuss, try out and produce music with other people online. People will always be afraid of good ideas being stolen and used commercially by someone else. Things are bad enough working face to face, never mind online!

I work in IT and am a bit of a start up idea person and I have an idea about creating a whole collaborative environment that would take care of attribution automatically. However, with the revenue model of music being currently in flux - and a seeming race to the bottom - I don't think the investment in such a system would be feasible. It would also have to figure out how to plug in to a pretty dysfunctional and sometimes downright dishonest music industry!
sixtysixmix
Regular
Producer/Mixer/composer Gear: Logic Pro X on a 2013 MacBookPro 16Gb Ram. External 4Tb drive. RND 5060, 2 x Apollo 8, Audient ASP880, Adam A7X monitors, Avantones, way too few mics.
Dublin studio build starting May 2017!

Postby dwaynem » Tue May 24, 2016 6:54 am

I also work in IT and for my bit - have always wondered why we haven't used source control (for example GIT) as an attribution tool?

Seems to me that the GIT model of programming collabs match with the same model to assign rights within a Musical Project. But any project should be approached with an assumed level of trust between collab members and the acceptance that anything created "together" should belong to all - otherwise why collab at all.

Dwayne

BTW: have now moved to Studio One as my DAW of choice as I was finding Sonar too limiting for the creative flow.
dwaynem

Postby sixtysixmix » Mon May 30, 2016 1:27 pm

dwaynem wrote:I also work in IT and for my bit - have always wondered why we haven't used source control (for example GIT) as an attribution tool?

Seems to me that the GIT model of programming collabs match with the same model to assign rights within a Musical Project. But any project should be approached with an assumed level of trust between collab members and the acceptance that anything created "together" should belong to all - otherwise why collab at all.

Dwayne

BTW: have now moved to Studio One as my DAW of choice as I was finding Sonar too limiting for the creative flow.

Hi Dwayne,

The issue with PT, Logic, etc is that the versions of a project are binary files and the audio is also binary. So you would lose a lot of the features - such as doing a diff to see what has changed between versions.

I looked at doing something for Pro Tools ... but saw that they do not entertain plugins that are not of the compression/distortion variety. Any plugin that you wish to make that affects file handling or workflow need to be explained to them and they will then work with you on it... that had me suspicious straight away.
sixtysixmix
Regular
Producer/Mixer/composer Gear: Logic Pro X on a 2013 MacBookPro 16Gb Ram. External 4Tb drive. RND 5060, 2 x Apollo 8, Audient ASP880, Adam A7X monitors, Avantones, way too few mics.
Dublin studio build starting May 2017!