You are here

Steinberg's VST Connect

Exploring the tools and techniques for long-distance recording projects.

Steinberg's VST Connect

Postby artzmusic » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:31 pm

I am really curious if anyone is actually using this feature. Any experiences that you know of?

Thanks
Rick
artzmusic
Regular

Re: Steinberg's VST Connect

Postby Pazu » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:40 pm

Looks like it costs money to get the useful version. Everything costs money, at least playing is free.
Pazu
Regular

Postby artzmusic » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:16 pm

Well, Pazu, the VST Connect Performer is a free download for any musicians wanting to participate. I've been trying to get my brother to give it a try but have been unable to motivate him. I am running the latest version of Cubase which has Connect (just not the Connect Pro). And he has the Focusrite iTrack dock as well as his DAW.

He's a bluegrasser and I'm a smooth jazzer but I would like to snag some mandolin lines now and again. So what genre are you collaborating on?

Also, I'm curious if folks wouldn't prefer to get sent tracks and then work on their own time to get the parts down. I've done that with vocals over Dropbox and that seems to work just fine. Co-writing, on the other hand, seems just the thing for VST Connect.

Rick
artzmusic
Regular

Postby Pazu » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:46 am

There's the Pro ver then the free ver. My working understanding is that the free ver is limited in several aspects among which are audio resolution and mult-track transfer. I don't see that the limited ver is any better than a Skype call would be, but then I've not used it.

I don't use Cubase. I use Adobe Audition CS6 & Garageband '11. So I'm either 24 bit 44,100, or 24/32 floating 96K depending on what I record with. Box.com can handle 250m files so, 10 minutes or so of hires 2 track. That's what I like to do, drop tunes to Box.com.

I'm 'eclectic' genre, i.e. not genre-focused; rather, originality-focused. Acoustic guitar and vocal-focused. I play lefty as it happens.

I think that latency issues will kill the Steinberg tool's realitme usefulness, that and lock-ups etc.

Having said that, I'll try it any time, I've no need to hesitate a whack myself, happy to try anything if you're game.

Far more important, FAR, BY FAR, is drive, is need to project internal meaning through sound, through music. For an extended period, not for a 45 minute stint at starbucks. THAT is what is so difficult to find, for me. Like, people around here seem into music for ego purposes, don't come through, they can walk through market with sunglasses on and feel just as cool I guess... There's bands working, and duets, but they are set already. Nothing new, new people just don't produce original stuff, there's so little going on, and it's so difficult to motivate the people that I have access to, I can't get them off their arses to produce, they record something on iphone & think they are ready for a major festival any time & it just don't work that way. I had one guy show up for an open mic, we talked, he did a few tunes but then didn't show for the next, he's back into it now evidently and says he'll show at my place to work on duet presentation tomorrow evening but, what of those lost 14 days? I want to get rolling you know, not just putz around every few months while life oozes sludgingly by.

I've pretty much settled on a solo route, whilst supporting any and all that I can along the way. I recorded several acts last week with my DR-05, mixed them crudely & threw it back at them. I just want to see people rolling. To encourage new messaging. Life is too easy, nobody in my area seems to want to, or to even begin to understand how to want to, work toward higher goals, like messaging, like having something to actually say to the big world. Forward-looking stuff is hard to find here in the impoverished, snowy hills of West Central NH, USA.
Pazu
Regular

Postby Pazu » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:17 pm

Looks like VST Connect, only works in Cubase, so why don't they just call it Cubase Connect. Looks like I won't be able to help you to test it.
Pazu
Regular

Postby artzmusic » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:23 pm

P, from my understanding only one person needs Cubase. All participants need is the free "performer" app.

I don't know what resolution .wavs would be possible but as an interactive writing tool that wouldn't matter. It would differ from Skype in that you would have a track in hand to work with as you develop the piece further. The concept seems to be just what you are after.

Rick
artzmusic
Regular

Postby Pazu » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:36 pm

Tried, the vers on their site need 10.7 or better to run, I'm snow leopard so, again shut down. Oh well!
Pazu
Regular

Postby Frederick Noren » Sun May 03, 2015 11:01 pm

Hi guys

I cowrite, produce and mix using VST Connect, so I might just shed some light on the matter. :-)

artzmusic wrote:Also, I'm curious if folks wouldn't prefer to get sent tracks and then work on their own time to get the parts down. I've done that with vocals over Dropbox and that seems to work just fine. Co-writing, on the other hand, seems just the thing for VST Connect.

As long as one of the collaborators work in Cubase, VST Connect is very useful. It's okay to send files back and fourth, but real-time interaction is so much better when both parties have the time. My cowriting buddy is 300 km away, and when we set up a VST Connect session, both with great studio grade microphones and okay looking video, after a while you just forget that you're not in the same room. There will probably always be latency long enough making it impossible to jam in real-time, but it's okay, because it's easy to switch whom is in sync and play along with the music. If I'm in Cubase, then I'm setting up some nice drum patterns and keyboards, and my cowriter is playing his guitar. If I want to be in sync with the music, I just press the [Rehearse]-button and sing along with the music background. And when I want to hear my cowriting buddy playing "live" with the music, I disengage the [Rehearse]-button.
Previously, I had to use Skype for long-distance cowriting and it worked at best, but was such a turn-off.

Now I easily set up a mixing session with the client listening in on what I'm doing via VST Performer and an iPhone App(!!). It's very liberating being able to discuss mixing matters in real-time, even if I and the client are miles apart.

Pazu wrote:There's the Pro ver then the free ver. My working understanding is that the free ver is limited in several aspects among which are audio resolution and mult-track transfer.

Having worked with VST Connect since it was released, VST Connect is not limited at all in terms of creative possibilities. I rather see VST Connect Pro having some really cool features that makes the system even better. If you're just going to use VST Connect for cowriting, mix audition and recording remote vocals - you will be perfectly fine.

If you later decide that you want to be able to do remote multitrack recording, 24 bit audio recordings on the remote computer for later transfer to your Cubase project etc - then the Pro version will enable you to do that.

The standard version will ONLY transfer MP3 encoded audio, but trust me, you will accept receiving a 320kbit/s mono audio stream in close to real-time and record it on the fly like a normal recording. The sound quality is great. Being able to interact with the singer is much more worth than having a 24 bit linear audio file sent via Dropbox or such. And you always have the possibility to upgrade to VST Connect Pro.

Pazu wrote:I don't see that the limited ver is any better than a Skype call would be, but then I've not used it.

If you ever get the chance to try out VST Connect in a real recording situation or songwriting session - then you're in for a nice surprise. :-)

Pazu wrote:I think that latency issues will kill the Steinberg tool's realitme usefulness, that and lock-ups etc.

When you work with real-time remote collaboration, latency can be dealt with and not kill the creativity, but the system has to be integrated into the DAW. Using it as a normal AU/AAX/VST plug-in is not good enough. The plug-in needs to communicate with the DAW on a deeper level than a normal plug-in, bypassing latency in the monitoring section, swapping lossy encoded recordings with 24 bit audio files etc. Steinberg has done it really pretty cool way with VST Connect.

But don't take my words for it, read this article instead:

https://www.steinberg.net/en/artists/stories/2014/derek_von_krogh.html

I think he sums it up very well at the end:

"But VST Connect offers you a fundamental kind of improvement that goes beyond the studio realm; simply put, I have much more time now for my kids. To get something as abstract as a feature in a DAW to have that kind of effect on ones private life, that's quite an astonishing achievement. I can’t think of anything comparable."

Can it get better than spending more time with the kids? Think not! ;)

Just my two cents
Frederick
Frederick Noren
New here
Sound engineer, music producer and SOS contributor. http://www.ninja.se

Postby Pazu » Thu May 21, 2015 12:54 pm

No doubt the tool works if you've the right software and OS. I have too many software dependencies to migrate from Snow Leopard 10.6.8 myself, thanks for the insight into how the plugin functions.
Pazu
Regular

Postby alexis » Sun May 01, 2016 9:22 pm

Anybody other comments regarding this Steinberg VST Connect?
alexis
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Cubase 9.0.1; i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W10 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro3.2

Postby artzmusic » Wed May 11, 2016 7:38 pm

I've not been able to try it yet though would like to. I am looking for someone local to try it out as I feel considerable time will be wasted on the initial attempt.

Soon
Rick
artzmusic
Regular