You are here

Multi-cam Skype piano lessons...

Exploring the tools and techniques for long-distance recording projects.

Multi-cam Skype piano lessons...

Postby starman9 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:09 am

I plan to give piano lessons over skype. I will want my students to see 3 different (live) cam images simultaneously on their skype screen, one of these being of my face, plus two different views of my piano keyboard.

So... the idea is to connect three cams to my PC (Windows 7) and then - using appropriate software - position and size the image from each of these cams to create a suitable live skype view for the student.

So my initial question is: What software would enable such a thing?! Hope someone can point me in right direction here. :)
starman9
Regular

Re: Multi-cam Skype piano lessons...

Postby Mixedup » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:02 am

It's a while since I've done anything like this, but you might start by looking at Open Broadcaster Software (OBS): https://obsproject.com/

OBS supports multiple camera inputs. There are lots of tutorials on YouTube for streaming from OBS via Skype — as I say, it's been a while, so you're probably better off searching for a recent tutorial.

But I would say that if you run into problems, then as long as you can get your multiple cameras to appear on your desktop in OBS, then you can use the desktop-streaming feature in Skype to send all camera views to your client in one view.

Anyhoo, here's your starter for 10... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92bSB0Pk4_w
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby starman9 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:30 am

Thanks MixedUp. That's a very helpful response. I owe you a drink!
starman9
Regular

Postby Mixedup » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:35 am

No worries. Forget the pint... just pay it forward: let us know how it goes, and, when you've got your head around it, let us know if you have any useful pointers for others :)
Mixedup
Jedi Poster