You are here

Soundbetter

Exploring the tools and techniques for long-distance recording projects.

Soundbetter

Postby Brendo1976 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:43 am

Has anybody out there used Soundbetter to find a mixing or mastering engineer, or are you on there offering your services? What do you think of the platform and the quality of engineers listed?

Had a recent experience whereby a supposed "grammy awarded" mixing engineer delivered something that was pretty poor in my opinion. I won't rubbish the platform because of one bad experience but wondering if there is a way of weeding out the bad from the good. Every single person on there seems to have 5 stars!

Is it fair to request a sample/test mix of your track before committing to the job?
Brendo1976
New here

Re: Soundbetter

Postby CS70 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:47 pm

Dont know of the platform so can't say, but asking a sample (not a really test mix) is reasonable.
I certainly put together a quick mix when people ask to get them an idea of what they can get, and slice out a portion for them to sample.

The caveat is that the sample may not be as good as the final result, because it's unlikely that one spends the same amount of micro-tweaking.

Regarding the Grammy-awarded guy, don't know - but the final quality of a song is down to much more than just the mix: it's the songwriting, the performance, the recording quality, the arrangement etc. Mixing doesn't do magic. So you've gotta make sure all of that is at Grammy level to get a Grammy level result..
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Brendo1976 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:34 pm

CS70 wrote:Dont know of the platform so can't say, but asking a sample (not a really test mix) is reasonable.
I certainly put together a quick mix when people ask to get them an idea of what they can get, and slice out a portion for them to sample.

The caveat is that the sample may not be as good as the final result, because it's unlikely that one spends the same amount of micro-tweaking.

Regarding the Grammy-awarded guy, don't know - but the final quality of a song is down to much more than just the mix: it's the songwriting, the performance, the recording quality, the arrangement etc. Mixing doesn't do magic. So you've gotta make sure all of that is at Grammy level to get a Grammy level result..

Thanks for the feedback CS70. Much appreciated.

Wasn't thinking of winning any Grammy's. Just figured being awarded a Grammy would be an indication of a certain level of mix I would receive. Needless to say my expectations were not met.
Brendo1976
New here

Postby James Perrett » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:06 pm

Brendo1976 wrote:Wasn't thinking of winning any Grammy's. Just figured being awarded a Grammy would be an indication of a certain level of mix I would receive. Needless to say my expectations were not met.

The sound engineering world is full of tales of certain people being very secretive about how they did things because they didn't actually have a clue what they were doing and just arrived at the results by accident.

Personally I'd choose someone who had mixed songs that sounded good to me - competition for work means that good mixing engineers don't have to be that expensive (provided you avoid the current flavour of the month).
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page