You are here

artist/ producer collaboration

Exploring the tools and techniques for long-distance recording projects.

artist/ producer collaboration

Postby Dontwannamissathing » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:33 pm

Hi There

Im looking for a producer who can make this home recording a little bit shorter and "punchier" .. My daughter is the muso / songwriter. If there is any part that she needs to record again, ( last part of guitar solo) please let us know.

Thank you :)

https://soundcloud.com/kelly-johannes/k ... ugh-v2-mp3
Dontwannamissathing
New here

Re: artist/ producer collaboration

Postby The Elf » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:07 pm

'This track was not found'...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby blinddrew » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:53 pm

If you've posted that as a private track you'll need to share the version of the url that has the additional code at the end. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Dontwannamissathing » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:02 pm

Sorry, it was saved as private, here is the song

https://soundcloud.com/kelly-johannes/k ... ugh-v2-mp3
Dontwannamissathing
New here

Postby blinddrew » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:19 pm

That's a very polished piece of work. :thumbup: I'm not the person to help you out with it but I hope you get someone to work with it. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Dontwannamissathing » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:10 am

I hope so too. :) Thanks for replying anyway :D It sounds polished because someone used the track in a mixing tutorial.
Dontwannamissathing
New here

Postby CS70 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:04 pm

Nice thing but I agree it could be more punchy. But then it all depends on what the artist feels, it’s super smooth now. What’s the style/feel you guys are going after?
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby James Perrett » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:01 pm

It certainly sounds well mixed and the vocals sounded fine. However, I felt the instrumental arrangement was very basic and, while fine for a song demo, didn't really go anywhere. A producer could probably help here.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby The Elf » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:31 pm

I always try be honest without being cruel...

The song and performance are 'OK'. But no better than 'OK', IMHO. A decent producer may make it into something commercially acceptable, but is it ever going to have that spark that takes it above other, similar material all fighting to be heard? Admittedly this isn't my kind of music, but when you hear a piece, no matter how roughly produced, that has that spark, you know it... I'm sorry, but I don't hear it here.

She has a good voice - just keep moving onward and upward.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Uncovered Pitch » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:52 pm

To me this track still needs quite a bit of work. The voice and vocals sound great, but are quite loud in the mix which overpowers the instruments which also need to be strengthened, especially the drums. It sounds like they're supposed to have an 80s feel but in the 80s drum sounds were bolder if I remember correctly!

As a songwriter/producer it would also be my duty to strengthen the songwriting as it doesn't do the voice justice at the moment.

If you listen to a band like CHVRCHES and how much work they put into crafting their songs and getting their synth and drum sounds to sound "legit" you'll see how much work this track still needs.

Or if you want to go down a more soulful route like the current melody suggest then a song like "Put Your Records On" by Corinne Bailey Rae(who's with the same publishing company as me btw) points to a more organic soundscape for this track.

Right now it's not electronic enough for the synth crowd and not natural enough for the "real music" crowd.

I'd be happy to help with such an overhaul but if I were you I wouldn't spend any money on just getting a punchier mix. Like The Elf said, there's a lot of competition around and it all starts with the song as the cliché goes!
Uncovered Pitch

Postby GilesAnt » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:51 pm

The song is well sung, and has some nice little touches in the arrangement too. However the bass line sounds muffled and rather poorly performed, with a number of wrong/blurred notes. The backing vocals occasionally sound a bit thin but are nicely arranged, and add variety.

It is nicely relaxed on the whole but could do with leading somewhere. If you are going to base a whole song around a couple of chords, there needs to be something else to give a sense of climax or destination. However this does depend on the intended style in many respects.

Overall an enjoyable if not memorable listen though. Definitely something to build on.
GilesAnt
Regular

Postby Dontwannamissathing » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:54 pm

I really, really appreciate everyone's input,Thank you . Just so you know, she is not familiar with DAWs and everything that goes with it. She only got it last year and this was the very first time she recorded herself. She is aware that the song needs more but being a full time student its just not possible to take time off to figure out how the stuff works. When she comes home i will ask her what she has in mind Thanks again :)
Dontwannamissathing
New here

Postby The Elf » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:05 pm

:thumbup:
The Elf
Jedi Poster