You are here

Application to stream the microphone

Exploring the tools and techniques for long-distance recording projects.

Application to stream the microphone

Postby parmi » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:19 pm

I am looking an application for a piano teacher. He has to give piano lessons to one student at a time. Currently he does video lessons using the Zoom application, but the Zoom application transmits audio only at 32 kHz (sometimes it drops to 24 kHz), moreover Zoom was created to transmit mainly the human voice not a piano, in fact it has different audio filters to suppress background noise, echo cancellation etc. which cannot be deactivated.

After much research I found the VoiceMeeter application, VoiceMeeter allows to transmit at up to 96 kHz (but more than enough 44.1 kHz), PCM 16/24 bits (16 bits is enough) and with stereo mode (must transmit two microphones) without any audio filter.

The only problem with VoiceMeeter is that it is too complicated to do the connection between student and teacher, both must open UDP ports in their routers/firewalls. If only the teacher does configure the router/firewall it would be perfect, but students often don't have access to these settings.

So is there an application that allows two people to transmit (1 or 2) microphones?
parmi

Re: Application to stream the microphone

Postby The Elf » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:40 pm

I would use a small mixer and route the output of that into Voicemeeter.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby blinddrew » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:13 pm

parmi wrote:moreover Zoom was created to transmit mainly the human voice not a piano, in fact it has different audio filters to suppress background noise, echo cancellation etc. which cannot be deactivated.
Just a minor point, these can be disabled in the advanced audio options. Unless you're saying that these are DFA switches and the filters are still in place?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby parmi » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:39 am

blinddrew wrote:
parmi wrote:moreover Zoom was created to transmit mainly the human voice not a piano, in fact it has different audio filters to suppress background noise, echo cancellation etc. which cannot be deactivated.
Just a minor point, these can be disabled in the advanced audio options. Unless you're saying that these are DFA switches and the filters are still in place?

I have already disabled all the filters in the advanced audio options, but the audio transmission always remains at 32 kHz (sometimes it drops to 24 kHz), but the main problem is that some filters still remain in place.
I made a Zoom recording (with two Rode NT5 microphones connected to the Scarlett 2i2 sound card):
https://soundcloud.com/parminder-sh93/z ... ZbxixMLT5r
the sound is completely different from the original, also at 0:15 seconds the volume goes down

Recorded with Ableton (44100 kHz 16 bits):
https://soundcloud.com/parminder-sh93/a ... fGGgrgm5h5
parmi

Postby blinddrew » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:06 pm

Thank you, that's very useful to know. :thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby adrian_k » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:47 am

You might want to look at Cleanfeed: https://cleanfeed.net/
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..

Postby ef37a » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:35 am

I have not read it yet but surely the May issue is all over this?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster