You are here

Good CD-Rs?

Knowledgebase collection of topics moved/copied from other sub-forums to preserve them from auto-pruning. Registered members can reply to topics here, but only Moderators can start or copy/move topics into this archive.

Re: Good CD-Rs?

Postby ken long » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:35 pm

Well, what can I say? To get from my lighthearted joke about CD lifetimes to a short sermon about environmental responsibility in one jump is quite impressive. Well done!

you're right about the jump :oops: but i still think your last was a throwaway statement. no hard feelings :thumbup:
ken long
Frequent Poster (Level2)
I'm All Ears.

Postby ConcertinaChap » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:07 pm

If we ever meet up at a SosMeet I'll buy you a pint. How about that?

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:21 pm

All threads should end like this. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:36 pm

Not a bad way to start either! :bouncy:

Back in the days of archiving to CD-R I went through a case of HHB disks. (discs?). Those disks have all failed. The backups were HHB as well. A few years back when you could still rent dvds I rented the first season of MI5. A number of these commercial disks wouldn't play because they were coming apart, the layers were separating.
100 years my ass!
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby Jadoube » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:34 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:Not a bad way to start either! :bouncy:

Back in the days of archiving to CD-R I went through a case of HHB disks. (discs?). Those disks have all failed. The backups were HHB as well. A few years back when you could still rent dvds I rented the first season of MI5. A number of these commercial disks wouldn't play because they were coming apart, the layers were separating.
100 years my ass!

I live in a very dry part of Canada and the very first CD-R I burned still plays. Was branded "Yamaha" but I'm sure they didn't make it.

I chime in here every once in a while and say "M-Disc" for archival media. :headbang:

Doesn't solve the "need ancient drive and platform" problem although if you are truly concerned you start squirreling away equipment. I'm not concerned, but I do archive to M-disc in case someone else is.
Jadoube
Regular

David

Postby Dave B » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:03 pm

I now feel quite old and stupid as I've never come across m-disc before. I realise it's a little off topic, but does anyone else use it? Could be quite interesting for mid-long term archiving and storage...
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Jadoube » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:56 pm

Dave B wrote:... does anyone else use it? Could be quite interesting for mid-long term archiving and storage...

For me, it seems like the only "affordable" long-term solution. The key question is what are you solving and whats it worth to you?

For myself... "give my clients media that will last as long as they do in the context that we now live for a very cheap cost."

My experience tells me. stuff gets lost; people think they don't care etc etc and then one day; They care! This is my best hedge against that for a very small expense.
Jadoube
Regular

David

Postby James Perrett » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:07 pm

Jadoube wrote:
I live in a very dry part of Canada and the very first CD-R I burned still plays. Was branded "Yamaha" but I'm sure they didn't make it.

Not sure who made the Yamaha ones but the first disc that I burned was a Philips branded Taiyo Yuden disc which still played last time I tried it. I'll have to dig it out and do an error check on it. Back in those days I could fit more data on a CD than I could fit on my hard drive.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Jadoube » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:15 pm

James Perrett wrote:Back in those days I could fit more data on a CD than I could fit on my hard drive.

+1!
I would spend endless hours archiving to DAT. CD-R was a respite from DAT purgatory!
Jadoube
Regular

David

Postby Folderol » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:28 pm

Jadoube wrote:
James Perrett wrote:Back in those days I could fit more data on a CD than I could fit on my hard drive.

+1!
I would spend endless hours archiving to DAT. CD-R was a respite from DAT purgatory!

Hmmm. DIS 'n DAT :lol:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Just because you know what I'm talking about, it doesn't mean I do!

Postby ManFromGlass » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:36 pm

Jadoube wrote:

+1!

+1 but
The only downside? I couldn't finish a beer in the time it took to burn a Cd-R.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:02 pm

I think that was part of the argument for real-time CD-burning, wasn't it? :lol:

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby zenguitar » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:08 pm

He did say a beer, not a 6 pack of beers :)

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:55 pm

Fair point! How about...

I think that was part of the argument for 4x CD-burning, wasn't it? :bouncy:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby johnny h » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:21 pm

I wouldn't rely on CDs for long term storage. They are already archaic. CDs only hold 650mb to 700mb. A 1tb hard drive costs around £40 which holds 1000000mb.

There is really enough plastic in the world already. Just keep your data on the cloud and on a couple of new-ish hard drives, preferably from different manufacturers.
johnny h
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Forum Admin » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:42 pm

Jadoube wrote:I live in a very dry part of Canada and the very first CD-R I burned still plays. Was branded "Yamaha" but I'm sure they didn't make it.

I recently found what must have been one of my earliest ever CD-Rs. It was branded TDK and the date on the jewel case inlay was July 1996. Stuck it in my Apple external CD-RW drive and it played without any discernible hiccup. That's 22 years after I burned it.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS - 10,119 high quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search/all
SOS gear videos, tutorials, studio tours: www.soundonsound.tv

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:15 pm

Ironically I also today loaded a CD-R backup disk that I burned in 2000, and it worked perfectly after 18 years 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:31 pm

johnny h wrote:I wouldn't rely on CDs for long term storage.

So far as I am aware not one single person on this thread has seriously advocated using CDRs for long term (or even short term) storage in 2018. Not sure why people keep banging on about it, quite honestly.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Disclaimer: I don't claim to know anything at all.

Postby ManFromGlass » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:40 am

wouldn't the interpretation of the phrase "long term storage" be relative to one's age?
(not to be too gruesome. . .. )
Heck - CD-Rs might be just the ticket for my long term needs!

:clap: :thumbup: :thumbdown: ;)
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster

Postby redlester » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:30 pm

[quote="Hugh Robjohns"] ...there is already very little demand from the young generation. They are heavily conditioned -- and content -- to access their music from online streaming services, and increasingly the same is happening with video too as highspeed broadband connections are an expected utility. Netflix, Amazon Video, Virgin etc are mainstream content providers, and most people I know spend much more time sourcing films and TV programmes online than they do from Bluray or DVD.[/quote]

I regularly have this discussion with my stepdaughter (aged 30) who simply cannot fathom why I won't pay Spotify and Netflix to stream music and video.

She can't get her head round me wanting to own and control my own library, even though most of my CD's are in the cellar - I have no problem with ripping them to disc, in fact I prefer it. Recently I've taken to buying music off Amazon in mp3 download format, but I will never use streaming services. I just can't bear the thought of having to access a library stocked by some faceless company rather than have my own library.

I think I should have been a librarian!
redlester
Regular

Previous