You are here

Isolation Headphones & HD25 types

Knowledgebase collection of topics moved/copied from other sub-forums to preserve them from auto-pruning. Registered members can reply to topics here, but only Moderators can start or copy/move topics into this archive.

Re: Best Isolation Headphones?

Postby tonemangler » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:12 am

This is what Sennheiser Canada emailed me:

"Hello,
Unfortunately the HD 25 models we have are as follows:
HD 25-13-II
HD 25-SP-II
HD 25-C-II
HD 25-1-II
HD 25 Aluminum

We do not have just the HD 25-II
Thank you"

I was wondering if there would be a sonic difference between the 70 ohm HD 25 II and the 600 ohm HD-25-13-II. Someone online was selling a pair and was describing the superior sound of the 600 ohm model. I'm not sure why someone would prefer a higher impedance headphone to a lower one. I would be driving it with a Yamaha 01V96 mixer, or a Line 6 UX1 interface. It seems like the HD 25-13-II would be a better fit for me because of the long cable and straight lead.

Paul
tonemangler
Regular

"I'm hovering like a fly, waiting for the windshield on the freeway." Peter Gabriel

Postby John Willett » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:17 am

tonemangler wrote:
On the Sennheiser Canada website only the HD 25-1 II is shown, I've emailed them to see if I can buy the other model here.

Sennheiser Canada can supply any of them without any problem - though they may have to get it in specially in their next shipment - it shouldn't be a problem.

But, if you want it and they refuse to get it, give me a shout and I'll sort something via the UK for you.

tonemangler wrote:
It's a drag that the second model has a shorter cable, I assume it's because these phones are geared towards the DJ market.

The HD 25 was never designed for DJs - it was originally designed for ENG (outside broadcast) use (HD 25-1) and studio use (HD 25-13). It was only later that DJs discovered it and now more are sold to DJs than broadcasters - but, in Europe, it's still the standard headphone for film and broadcast sound recordists.

The -1 version had a rt.angled cable so it would plug into Betacams without getting in the way - also, a rt.angled jack just twists when knocked and does not bend or damage the socket.

The -1 version is the most popular, especially with sound recordists.

teh 2m cable version was for DJs and for sound recordists who wanted to listen wjile the recorder was on the floor.

The -C version was for those (mainly DJs I think) who demanded a coiled cable.

The -13 (600Ω) version with a 3m cable was for studio use where a higher impedance does not load the circuit.

The -SP version was originally devised by Sennheiser UK for Concord. BA wanted headphones for concord, but didn't want to pay the price of the HD 25. Sennheiser UK realised that the split headband of teh HD 25 was expensive to make as opposed to the cheapo headband of the HD 414 - and - that the capsules of the HD 25 fitted the HD 414 headband. So a special version was made for Concord, using special 300Ω capsules, fitted to the cheap HD 414 headband.

Sennheiser in Germany then realised that this could make a cheaper HD 25 - hence the -SP version. BUT - you cannot have a cheaper headphone of the same quality as it would be commercial suicide - so the capsules of the -SP were downrated. Still excellent value, though.

I hope this helps explain things.

(Please note - I wrote this reply last night, but forgot to post it, I only posted it this morning when I woke up and realised I had not pressed "send")
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Postby John Willett » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:28 am

tonemangler wrote:This is what Sennheiser Canada emailed me:

"Hello,
Unfortunately the HD 25 models we have are as follows:
HD 25-13-II
HD 25-SP-II
HD 25-C-II
HD 25-1-II
HD 25 Aluminum

We do not have just the HD 25-II
Thank you"

They *can* get it - Sennheiser website:-

HD 25 II
Article No. 502105
As HD 25-1 II, but with 2m steel cable and straight jack plug

Try telling them the article number.

If they won't get it and you still want it, send me a PM.

tonemangler wrote:I was wondering if there would be a sonic difference between the 70 ohm HD 25 II and the 600 ohm HD-25-13-II. Someone online was selling a pair and was describing the superior sound of the 600 ohm model. I'm not sure why someone would prefer a higher impedance headphone to a lower one. I would be driving it with a Yamaha 01V96 mixer, or a Line 6 UX1 interface. It seems like the HD 25-13-II would be a better fit for me because of the long cable and straight lead.

There should be no sonic difference at all - it would just be an impedance difference that meant that it sounded better for him in his particular amplifier. The maximum sound pressure level is 5dB lower on the -13 version. Often it's better to use the high impedance version on mains equipment and the low impedance version on battery powered equipment.

I hope this helps.
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services

Postby BJG145 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:48 am

tonemangler wrote:I have a pair of Sennheiser HD265's and although they are closed back I find the click track sometimes leaks into the recordings of my acoustic guitar

If you have a bright, loud click, I'm just wondering if a different metronome sound (more of a dull thud, like a stompbox) might help.

Daniel Drummond wrote:use a visual metronome (app on yourphone or the "midi bug");

(I like the sound of that...might give it a try.)
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby tonemangler » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:41 am

Thanks for all the info John, I appreciate it. I still want to audition the Focal Spirit Pros, but if I decide to go with the Sennheiser it will most likely be the HD 25 II. I will quote the article number you provided and hopefully they can accommodate. If I hit a road block I'll take you up on your offer and PM you (not sure how to do that but I'll figure it out).

Thanks again :)
tonemangler
Regular

"I'm hovering like a fly, waiting for the windshield on the freeway." Peter Gabriel

Postby tonemangler » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:58 am

BJG145 wrote:If you have a bright, loud click, I'm just wondering if a different metronome sound (more of a dull thud, like a stompbox) might help.

I could try that. I've always used the generic click that comes with my DAW because I couldn't be bothered to set up a midi device and search for the right sound. When starting a new project I just want to quickly find the right tempo and start recording.

I want to buy new headphones anyway because my HD265 is pretty old and beat up and I've had issues with its' cable and jack. Anyways the only thing better than owning one set of headphones is owning two!

Thanks for the post

Paul
tonemangler
Regular

Postby chris... » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:59 am

tonemangler wrote: When starting a new project I just want to quickly find the right tempo and start recording.

Yes, which is why many people have a "template" new project setup, prepared such that everything's ready to go, just as they like it, including click sound etc.
chris...
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby John Willett » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:22 pm

tonemangler wrote: If I hit a road block I'll take you up on your offer and PM you (not sure how to do that but I'll figure it out).

To send a PM, you click on the posters name on the left - at the bottom you then click on "send a private message".

Or reply to the one I will send you now.
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services

Postby tonemangler » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:46 pm

chris... wrote:
tonemangler wrote: When starting a new project I just want to quickly find the right tempo and start recording.
Yes, which is why many people have a "template" new project setup, prepared such that everything's ready to go, just as they like it, including click sound etc.

It's funny you say this because as I was typing that post I was thinking about how I never seem to get around to making a project template. My problem is I live by the motto "Why do today what I can do tomorrow" Very sad I know :frown:
tonemangler
Regular

Previous