You are here

The DIY Links thread

Knowledgebase collection of topics moved/copied from other sub-forums to preserve them from auto-pruning. Registered members can reply to topics here, but only Moderators can start or copy/move topics into this archive.

Mic Preamp Kit

Postby owel » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:56 pm

Tranformerless, electronically balanced, DC Servo, SC-1 mic preamp kit.. +72dB, soft-start phantom power, etc...

www.fivefish.net/diy/

Also power supply kits (with +48V) for opamp based projects, including above mic pre kit.
owel
Poster

Preamp Kits in Europe

Postby JPK - SoundSkulptor » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:25 pm

www.SoundSkulptor.com

It offers everything that is needed to build some great microphone preamplifiers, based on vintage and newer designs.
SOUND SKULPTOR is a part of SYNCHRONIA, a recording studio in southern France.
JPK - SoundSkulptor

Re: The DIY Links thread

Postby WaveGuide » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:26 pm

Anyone that is interested in DIY acoustic treatment, yet does not have the time or resources to construct them may want to check out this site:

http://www.waveguideacousticsolutions.com

Coming from a DIY background and being a musician, I know that money can be tight. This was my solution to the high cost of acoustic treatments. One by one, others have found out about my diffusers and some have requested that I make some for them.

I have a small buzz going on about me here in the states, I thought I'd share some DIY ingenuity. The way they are made is simple enough, from already available equations, so that's nothing really special. Some hange the name "skyline clone" on them which isn't exactly true. As the prime number theory I use is slightly different.
WaveGuide

Postby nukegroup » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:22 pm

I thought I'd post a list of links to recommended cable and connector manufacturers for those getting into making their own leads. These are the corporate websites, which will have links to local distributors. They also have exhaustive catalogues which you can dowload or, in a surprising number of cases, recieve in the post for free!

Klotz Very nice German cable. Quite low on technical figures, though.

Canare Extremely nice-feeling and performing cable from Japan. An emphasis on video over audio means there aren't that many products applicable to music, but their starquad is universally recommended. I imagine their video cables are great for digital audio, too. Also manufacture some connectors.

Mogami international The US distributors site is more accessible, but doesn't have any information about dealers or distributors outside North America. Mogami is even nicer-feeling than Canare, but they are very reticent to give specs.

Van Damme From mainland Europe somewhere and nice quality. Very efficient UK distribution, too.

Sommer Sommer give you every specification you could wish for! Some of their cable (ie. their 'Spirit' guitar cable) seems to be the best available. They also make 'Hicon' connectors: no idea if they are good, but they appear to offer good colour-coding.

Belden Their product range is massive and may take you a while to find the audio cables. Come highly recommended.

Gotham Swiss and, again, highly recommended.

Bryant and Canford are UK broadcast distributors who do their own lines of cable, In Canford's case, to BBC specs. There are probably US equivalents.

Connectors:

Neutrik Neutrik make very nice versions of practically every connector you'd ever need!

Switchcraft They supply the US military, which is either the best or worst recommendation depending on your political views and/ or geographic location! Their cable-mount connectors certainly have an 'involved' assembly method, but Americans still seem to like them. They've made a large array of connectors over the years, so you may need some of their parts to fix old gear (I did). Their open-frame jacks are standard for guitars.

Amphenol As well as standard audio connectors (which I've never used), they seem to be about the only manufacturers of the weird connectors you find on old mics and power supplies that are still going. You may get lucky.

Deltron and Alcatel used to make very nice XLRs with metal back-shells and (in Deltron's case) lots of colour-coding options. Both companies seem to have stopped making them, though, due to mergers and things. It's a shame, as the best XLRs I've ever used are all-brass Alcatel ones. Hopefully someone knows better than me.
nukegroup
Poster

Postby Aliweasel » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:26 pm

There's always Kelsey

Good for cable and general consultation. They've been very helpful to me in the past.
Aliweasel
Regular

Postby nukegroup » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:01 pm

Aliweasel wrote:There's always Kelsey

Good for cable and general consultation. They've been very helpful to me in the past.

They also have pictures like this Image on their site, which is far more than you can say for boring old Canford.

Nice one Ali, never come across them before. :D
nukegroup
Poster

Postby Analog » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:03 pm

Having done some research into building a bass cab, i got some useful links from the lovely chaps at em411.com. Incase you don't know that's a site with a very active forum and blogs for electronic musicians (there's a rumour it's hosted by Bogdan Razynski...)

amazing speaker design links page
This page tells you pretty much everything you need to know on speaker cab design, crossovers, calculations, room resonance. mint.

College course
Some doccuments from someone's college course on building hi-fi speakers.

line-level crossovers
Info on passive line-level crossovers, for before the amplification section.

Filter design
Great tutorial on crossover design, including handy calculators for components etc.

Basic crossover info
Great introductory page on how crossovers work.

Hope someone can find these helpful!
Graham
Analog
Poster

components

Postby Dangerous Dan » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:01 pm

try Rapid components, they're a lot cheaper than other supliers (1/2 the price of maplin) which is important if you're going to let the smoke out of (ie fry) a fair few components in your diy quest.

best bet is to buy a bench power supply (say9-12v) ~£15, get some bread board and small gauge wire, and start playing with circuits. use pc music software to record and display your waveforms.

would recommend 'art of electronics' by horowitz and hill, well worth it, eases you in gently without any faffing about.
Dangerous Dan

Postby gavztheouch » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:33 pm

Thebrassnut.com for guitar parts and luthier tools
gavztheouch
New here

Postby Folderol » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:53 am

http://www.hardwarebook.info/ general connectors & cable info as well as lots of other stuff.

http://arduino.cc/ great little development kit

and...

http://itp.nyu.edu/physcomp/Labs/MIDIOutput interesting interface project info for it.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

500 Series Lunchbox Preamp Kits

Postby owel » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:01 am

NEW! API 500 series lunchbox format preamp. Everything included in the kit, as shown below.

Also, 2nd generation of our SC-1 mic preamps.

owel
Poster

Postby shawn01 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:02 am

~Paul wrote:Ahh, and something else that has me tempted (Although i already have a MAQ 16/3 which is very similar)
The P3 sequencer
http://www.colinfraser.com/p3/p3.htm

I love the forum, Paul looks for this, thanks
shawn01

Postby forumuser695516 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:51 am

shawn01 wrote:
~Paul wrote:Ahh, and something else that has me tempted (Although i already have a MAQ 16/3 which is very similar)
The P3 sequencer

I posted that link quite some time ago, and I see the link is now dead. Theres 2 replacements that work though, for anyone still interested.
www.colinfraser.com
www.sequentix.com

Paul
forumuser695516
Frequent Poster

Postby kimberly » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:42 pm

~Paul wrote:
shawn01 wrote:
The P3 sequencer

I posted that link quite some time ago, and I see the link is now dead. Theres 2 replacements that work though, for anyone still interested.
www.colinfraser.com
www.sequentix.com
Paul

jajaja thanks Paul you are great :beamup:
kimberly

Postby Adam Inglis » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:44 am

Adam Inglis
Regular
Adam Inglis 
http://www.adambaby.com
Semi-Automatic
Funboys

Postby Peterson Goodwyn » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:35 am

I've started a database of DIY recording gear projects past and present at www.diyrecordingequipment.com

Let me know if I've missed anything!
Peterson Goodwyn
New here

Postby jellyjim » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:30 am

meathands wrote:I've started a database of DIY recording gear projects past and present at www.diyrecordingequipment.com

Let me know if I've missed anything!

Nice. Good work that man!
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Postby Peterson Goodwyn » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:43 am

Thanks, I appreciate it! I'm just finishing up the database, but there will be some interviews and other articles popping up soon.
Peterson Goodwyn
New here

Postby JoshuaS » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:30 am

UNIT393 wrote: Gyraf Audio

Excellent site. :D

Thanks for sharing- having some trouble with my equalizer.
JoshuaS

ableton

Postby lanamason » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:39 pm

hi everyone not sure if im in the right place or not for this post, but can anyone advise a good beginners guide for ableton.

Thx

Lana
lanamason

PreviousNext