You are here

Studer A807 Tape Machine - Difference between Mk 1 & Mk 2 Versions ?

Knowledgebase READ-ONLY collection of topics moved from other sub-forums to preserve them from auto-pruning. Only Moderators can start/reply or move topics into this archive.

Studer A807 Tape Machine - Difference between Mk 1 & Mk 2 Versions ?

Postby Fantashable » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:44 am

I own a Studer A807 Mk 1 Tape Machine.

Alas, my operating/Service manual is intended for the version two machine.

Are there major deviations between the two models, or is it safe to refer to the operator manual marked Mk 11 ?

With Thanks,

Mike
Fantashable
Regular
Studio One Pro; Windows  Professional 64bit; Motu 828x Thunderbolt; UADe; ASUS mainboard 96 GB Ram; Intel @ 3200 X 16

Re: Studer A807 Tape Machine - Difference between Mk 1 & Mk 2 Versions ?

Postby matt keen » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:01 am

Short answer is I don't know

But Funky Junk used to have all manner of old manuals available on their web site so might be useful to you

Hugh or somebody will know
matt keen
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:24 am

An essential bookmark for any Studer or Revox owner is

ftp://ftp.studer.ch/Public/Products/

where you will find the manual for just about every Studer product ever made.

Cheers

James.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Ted Kendall » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:35 pm

Operationally, they're very similar, apart from the Mk2 taking bigger reels. Internally, there are enough detail differences to make life confusing - I'd suggest getting the Mk1 manual.
Ted Kendall
Regular

Postby ken long » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:48 pm

As Ted says, its the guts that'll be different. In terms of operation, either manual should suffice. I think the Mk2 allows you to play in both directions. Not sure if you can do that on the Mk1.

ken
ken long
Frequent Poster (Level2)
I'm All Ears.

Postby Fantashable » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:37 pm

Thank you all,

Let me clarify.

My query here is focused not upon the general operational differences between Mk one and Mk two machines (if indeed there are any), instead, the electronics and importantly, the commands of the machine - especially those control commands required in Calibration procedures.

I know that Studer released various software updates for the A807; whether or not this means that Version One machine electronics is then closer to - if not the same - as Version Two, I'm hoping I will learn here.

My current Software revision appears to be 30.88. I wonder if that means anything to anyone ?

With Thanks,

Mike.
Fantashable
Regular
Studio One Pro; Windows  Professional 64bit; Motu 828x Thunderbolt; UADe; ASUS mainboard 96 GB Ram; Intel @ 3200 X 16

Postby ken long » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:05 pm

Fantashable wrote:Thank you all,

Let me clarify.

My query here is focused not upon the general operational differences between Mk one and Mk two machines (if indeed there are any), instead, the electronics and importantly, the commands of the machine - especially those control commands required in Calibration procedures.

In your first post you mention referring to the operation manual and not the service manual so that's probably where the confusion lies. Is there no mention of OS in the manual you have? I'll try to dig one out.

ken
ken long
Frequent Poster (Level2)
I'm All Ears.

Postby Fantashable » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:13 pm

ken long wrote:
Fantashable wrote:Thank you all,

Let me clarify.

In your first post you mention referring to the operation manual and not the service manual so that's probably where the confusion lies. Is there no mention of OS in the manual you have? I'll try to dig one out.

ken

Sorry Ken, my manual, described as being 'Operation/Service Instructions' ! So now I'm confused :?

Further confusing: my machine did not come with a manual, I purchased one seperately (Ebay) from a company in Ireland (which appears to be some kind of house clearence firm for Radio and TV stations selling their redundant plant)! :crazy:

They listed the manual as for A807 Mk 1 and Mk 2 models.
I wonder now if that isn't the case, hence this thread and any reference to an operating system version therein would be irelevant, I guess.

Grateful Thanks,

Mike.
Fantashable
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:06 pm

Have you checked out the link I gave you above? All should be explained there.

Cheers

James.
James Perrett

Postby Fantashable » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:18 pm

James Perrett wrote:Have you checked out the link I gave you above? All should be explained there.

Cheers

James.

Thank you James,

Yes I've known about the Studer public FTP server for a year or more including the Mk1 manual thereon.
There is nothing there that specifically answers my questions, hence this thread.

Mike
Fantashable
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:45 am

Fantashable wrote:
Yes I've known about the Studer public FTP server for a year or more including the Mk1 manual thereon.
There is nothing there that specifically answers my questions, hence this thread.

Yet you say in your first post that you only have a Mk2 manual.

I don't understand - surely the first thing to do is to download the right manual for the machine, match the PCB part numbers and then come back here if something doesn't match up. RTF right M first and then come back.

Cheers

James.
James Perrett

Postby Fantashable » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:41 pm

James Perrett wrote:
Fantashable wrote:

Yet you say in your first post that you only have a Mk2 manual.

I don't understand - surely the first thing to do is to download the right manual for the machine, match the PCB part numbers and then come back here if something doesn't match up. RTF right M first and then come back.

Cheers

James.

Yes, that is correct, I have Printed Service instructions for Mk2 - I do NOT have a Printed manual for Mk1 and PDF documents are a hindrance; and further, I cannot read block diagrams.

My hope is that someone on the Forum will have a technical working knowledge of both machines, and reassure me that my softweare version will be OK.

With Thanks,

Mike.
Fantashable
Regular

Postby ken long » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:22 pm

The FTP James has linked has all the manuals. If you can't read the diagrams then figuring out the different and difference in components will be like reading Chinese. And I'm sure the manual won't compare the functionality of the 2. But then that's not what you are after...

I would suggest asking Studer directly. They have always been helpful. They'll be able to tell you if your OS has been revised.

ken
ken long
Frequent Poster (Level2)
I'm All Ears.

Postby Fantashable » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:13 am

ken long wrote:The FTP James has linked has all the manuals. If you can't read the diagrams then figuring out the different and difference in components will be like reading Chinese. And I'm sure the manual won't compare the functionality of the 2. But then that's not what you are after...

Hello Ken, and thanks.
You hit the nail right on the nut ...

ken long wrote:
I would suggest asking Studer directly. They have always been helpful. They'll be able to tell you if your OS has been revised.

I understood that Studer was almost no more, and that Harman had stripped the company and was selling whats left.
Clearly my information was based upon old news; and, although not the company of 30 years ago, they still have technical staff who have worked for the company for at least that long apparently - so I will certainly ask them for information on my OS.
I'll post any positive information here.

Grateful Thanks,

Mike.
Fantashable
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:41 pm

One other good resource is

http://recordist.com/studer/

Cheers

James.
James Perrett

Next