You are here

Studio construction materials

Knowledgebase READ-ONLY collection of topics moved from other sub-forums to preserve them from auto-pruning. Only Moderators can start/reply or move topics into this archive.

Re: Studio construction materials

Postby Bongo Bert » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:19 pm

Hi
I realise I'm responding to an old post of yours, but I'm intrigued by your comments about using floating floors (or not) for soundproofing. I'm just getting nowhere trying to work out the best (most cost effective) way to soundproof my detached garage so the band can practice without annoying anyone. Given our typical set up of drums, bass guitar etc, do you think theres a particular method for the flooring I should be considering?
Cheers
Bongo Bert
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:50 pm

Bert - it might be better if you started a thread of your own on your garage studio rather than try to add your questions to other threads.

If your garage has a good concrete base then flooring is probably the least of your problems. The weakest points are likely to be the windows, doors and roof.

James.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Bongo Bert » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:18 pm

Ok thanks James. I'll start a new post and see how it goes. Cheers
Rob
Bongo Bert
Poster

Postby Kiara » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:46 am

I'm planning to have my own mini studio here at Utah Lehi. hope I could find great materials i need..
Kiara

Postby EvelynArado » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:59 pm

What is important with seals is that they remain elastic and in contact with the surfaces (long term).

It's important to use backer rod (this is not to save caulk - this is because you need 2 point contact with caulk - otherwise it fails).

Inside any acoustic caulk will work - butyl caulks work pretty well - silicone caulks work well.

Outside - my best recommendation would be Big-Stretch which is made by Sashco.

This is some of the best caulk I have ever used - a bit pricy but it stretches like crazy (up to 500% - and that is not just manufacturer's hype) - can span some huge joints - and is an easy cleanup with water.

Good Luck
EvelynArado
New here

Postby Ambit_Energy » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:09 am

WHAT ARE THE BEST BUT NOT COSTLY? :ooo: BTW, I KNOW ALL BEST ARE COSTLY :crazy:
Ambit_Energy

Postby maskedwarrior » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:00 pm

WHITE FROST PROTECTION GROUND-COVER SHEETING makes an excellent particle-retaining barrier for rockwool acoustic panels.

It's extremely cheap - 30p per metre from a 1.5m roll at my local store - very finely woven, stretchy and surprisingly strong. It resembles the inside of hoover bags. It's a cheaper, more attractive and I'm certain more effective alternative to the black weed barrier Studio SOS has used in the past. Plus the fact it's white allows you to use a paler coloured, less dense (hence cheaper) fabric as a posh top cover!

For added durability it can be doubled up, or tripled up!
maskedwarrior
Regular
[Type your personal signature here]

Previous