You are here

Studio construction materials

Knowledgebase collection of topics moved/copied from other sub-forums to preserve them from auto-pruning. Registered members can reply to topics here, but only Moderators can start or copy/move topics into this archive.

Re: Studio construction materials

Postby Sosabba » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:56 am

In a word, No.

But when you say DIY stores what exactly do you mean? I had a lot more luck in my area at Builder's Merchants, so if you havent tried them then best get the yellow pages out! Do you have a Jewson neaby: my local branch was able to get hold of it. How about something like Sheffield Insulation - or other insulation firms, etc.

God luck mate

Max
Sosabba
Frequent Poster

Postby xkizx » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:23 pm

Cheers buddy!

Yep, I meant builders merchants. Have to say, I found them very unhelpful in my area. The Sheffield Insulations company looks a good bet though.

Cheers again for the reply,

Kieran.
xkizx
New here

Postby Sosabba » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:54 pm

No problem mate.

Sheffield Insulation are pretty cheap as well from what I remember. You'll have to check they definitely do Rockwool. I actually got Rocksil from them - it's more or less the same thing but you can get it in 1200x600 which suited me much better than the 1000x600.

Remember to haggle though as the prices are pretty damn negotiable!

Max
Sosabba
Frequent Poster

Postby xkizx » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:48 pm

Just a follow up.

Found the best prices and service for Rockwool from Minster in Southampton.(www.minster-ins.co.uk)

They have branches all over the country and have good delivery prices.

Cheers for all the suggestions guys ;)

Kieran.
xkizx
New here

Postby coojuice » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:12 pm

I'll ask this question here so I don't start a new post.

What type of material would you use for covering diy bass trap panels?

I'm just about to have a go at making some but i'm not sure what sort of material would be most suitable for stretching over the front of the wooden frames. I'll be using rockwool slabs inside the frames.

I would preferably like the option of making them "blend" in with the room so colour would be a major factor I guess.

If anyone has any links to examples that would be just dandy ;)
coojuice
Regular

Postby Dave's not here mon. » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:42 pm

Steve Hill wrote:

Roughly speaking, you would need to go up to 100kg/m3 to get to (a little over) 6 lbs/cu ft. I'm happy to be challenged on my maths here!

Otherwise, from the point of view of comparing US and UK brands, is it in fact fair to say RS60 is broadly equivalent to 705?

GOOD MORNING ALL!!

Now that i've got your attention (hopefully), i,d like to finally dispel the US - UK rockwool conversion issue. Here's a link which i found after about two-weeks hunting.
Yep, an OFFICIAL UK ROCKWOOL PRODUCT SPEC SHEET. All the stats are there. Wahooo!

http://www.sheffieldinsulations.co.uk/Literature/Rigid_Semi_rigid_Flexible_slab.pdf

RWA45 45kg/m3
RW3 60kg/m3
RW5 100kg/m3
RW6 140kg/m3

Minor discrepancy tho, RW6 is stated as having a density of 140kg/m3 on the chart, but 120kg/m3 on other merchants' sites.

So, anyone gonna be settling for 45kg/m3? Thought not. Hope this helps. Thought so.
8-)

Absorptively Yours,

Andy
Dave's not here mon.
Poster

Postby Indigo Virus » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:40 pm

Thought i'd add what i've done
i converted half my garage (rougly 46 meters away from house)
seperate it in half with a wall using breezeblocks
2inch wood frames on all the walls packed with 6 inch rockwool from my local jewsons then plasterboard on top
seling was packed with doubled up 6 inch rockwool and plasterboard and i havent got round to getting a new door so i just gaffa taped thick foam on the door lol
all the walls are painted black and the door and small window at the top behind me act as quite a good bass trap
the room itself supprisingly very well soundproofed
and for internet access im not using wireless I dont like it I advise one of those belkin power adapters just run it through your electrical line fantastisc for games to =)
Indigo Virus
New here

Postby Seren-H » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:13 pm

Hi.. I've been on a mission all day trying to find some barrier mat for cheep :tongue: Most places I phoned up were too expensive for my really tight budget, but I came across "sound service oxford" :-

http://www.isolgomma.co.uk/SBM5.htm

I found their soundproof mat to be exactly the same as another supplier but much cheaper. (worked out a quarter of the price even though it was the same stuff :) )

Just thought I'd post it up incase anyone else was in the same boat as me. Worth phoning them up to enquire on prices neways :)

xx
Seren-H

Re: Studio construction materials cheaper neoprene than James Dolman

Postby robandwendy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:13 pm

I tried James Dolman neoprene supplier who quoted me £3.9 per metre for 20m of 6mm thick 10cm wide neoprene total £99.90 plus £21.90 delivery grand total £121.80.

Then tried Thames Valley Supplies Ltd
Churchill House, Unit 9
114 Windmill Road
Brentford, TW8 9NA
Tel From UK: 020 8560 3385 ,spoke to Kerry Way, total including delivery and VAT for the same spec 6mm neoprene rubber £48.53 Thats £1.61 per metre.This has got to be worth checking out.
robandwendy

Postby MGAC » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:56 pm

For any folks in Ireland, Irish Insulations. Just spoke to them, very helpful and friendly. They stock both Rockwool and Rocksil (although I was only asking for RS60 and RW3). The rockwool was €33.35 per pack and the Rocksil was €25.68 per pack and their delivery charge was only €25 to Roscommon. Maybe I'm just easily impressed cause I drove an hour yesterday to collect insulation only to find out it wasn't what they assured me it was over the phone. Hmmm....

Hope this helps someone,
Cheers,
Mike
MGAC
Regular
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.", Einstein.
www.eequalsmcstudios.com

Postby byzantium » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:23 pm

This is a response to Costleys query re Fermacell.

Yes I have used it - not for studio construction but on a house renovation. It is heavier, harder to cut, much more expensive and harder to work with than standard plasterboard, but if I was doing a studio I would definitely use it even though I'm not sure I would use on a domestic renovation again.

It is heavier - therefore less sound transmission.

It is much more rigid and the fixing system involves gluing the sheets together along all edges so you end up with a single rigid membrane.

better fireproofing, better soundproofing, better structural integrity - plasterboard is just dust sandwiched between two pieces of paper.
byzantium

Postby TomMS » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:03 am

I'm in the UK and used an internet supplier of Roskwool/Rocksilk called BMDinsulation.

http://www.bmdinsulation.com/

Very cheap. I have no connection other than as a customer. I have some leftover RS60 (12 sheets) which I'm selling on ebay - I won't post it here but will put it in the adverts section as per forum rules.
TomMS

Postby plantlife » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:09 pm

Hi,

I've been reading on here for a few days, I just have to say there's a few conflicting posts. So i'm a little confused.

Just to add to the thread, its a little information about sound proofing. It may help others like me. (purely information on basics of sound proofing) I'm not related/affliated with the company!!!!-unlike some)

http://www.customaudiodesigns.co.uk/help.htm

Can i ask a basic question, I need to sound proof a 5m x5 x2 meter room mainly for voice recordings. What is my best option for a 'low' budget.
If necessary i'll start a new thread, i know i've more reading but at least if i read into background of the stuff i need to use. (hence the question)
thanks you.
Andrew
plantlife

Postby JBLSystem34 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:15 am

Hi there all

Well I’m also looking for one of the cheapest UK supplies to outfit a troubling issue between the flat below me.

I need to construct a sub flooring with (Rubber mat material several layers of would MDF work as soiled flat firm surface?

So where can I find a sappily because I need to get this solved?

Also would treatment on the walls reduce some sound transmission going though and coming though from adjacent flats below.

Cheers :)
JBLSystem34

Postby jboo » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:20 pm

Anyone know a neoprene supplier in Ireland?
Thanks
Justin
jboo
Poster

Postby Bongo Bert » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:19 am

Hi
I realise I'm responding to an old post of yours, but I'm intrigued by your comments about using floating floors (or not) for soundproofing. I'm just getting nowhere trying to work out the best (most cost effective) way to soundproof my detached garage so the band can practice without annoying anyone. Given our typical set up of drums, bass guitar etc, do you think theres a particular method for the flooring I should be considering?
Cheers
Bongo Bert
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:50 pm

Bert - it might be better if you started a thread of your own on your garage studio rather than try to add your questions to other threads.

If your garage has a good concrete base then flooring is probably the least of your problems. The weakest points are likely to be the windows, doors and roof.

James.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Bongo Bert » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:18 am

Ok thanks James. I'll start a new post and see how it goes. Cheers
Rob
Bongo Bert
Poster

Postby Kiara » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:46 am

I'm planning to have my own mini studio here at Utah Lehi. hope I could find great materials i need..
Kiara

Postby EvelynArado » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:59 pm

What is important with seals is that they remain elastic and in contact with the surfaces (long term).

It's important to use backer rod (this is not to save caulk - this is because you need 2 point contact with caulk - otherwise it fails).

Inside any acoustic caulk will work - butyl caulks work pretty well - silicone caulks work well.

Outside - my best recommendation would be Big-Stretch which is made by Sashco.

This is some of the best caulk I have ever used - a bit pricy but it stretches like crazy (up to 500% - and that is not just manufacturer's hype) - can span some huge joints - and is an easy cleanup with water.

Good Luck
EvelynArado
New here

PreviousNext