You are here

eBay and Readers Ads Scam Alerts.

Knowledgebase READ-ONLY collection of topics moved from other sub-forums to preserve them from auto-pruning. Only Moderators can start/reply or move topics into this archive.

Re: Ebay and Readers Ads Scam Alerts.

Postby Paul Soundscape » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:19 am

Never purchase a db technologies fifty line PA system from Rosana Ahmed or Kylie Martin,
I got the PA from a second chance offer from ebay, it had real pictures of one, not just taken from a website,

they asked for the money to be transfered in to their bank account,

the emails i recieved were very snappy and a bit forceful so i was on my guard, and when i asked for their details they almost became defensive

the seller gave false details of their "business", which was a bit stupid as i checked it and they had never heard of them, they could never speak on the phone,

I hoped i could pick up the item, based in london as i was working their next week, but how unfortunate that the seller is in plymouth with the pa so i couldnt collect it...unless i live near plymouth by which time i think the scammer realised i knew this wasnt real and politely said this isnt working

luckily the scammer was quite dumb and didnt fool me, but watch it, im reporting them to ebay etc...

here is the ebay listing
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270200299869&ssPageName=STRK:MEDW:IT&ih=017

their email address is rosanaahmed@hotmail.com

bit of a shame as they are very nice systems:( atleast i lost no money!
Paul Soundscape
Regular

Postby Phil O » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:37 pm

Thanks for the heads-up Paul. Good ol ebay ehh - the item has been listed again!

Strange also, that the seller has a 280 rating albeit at 99.6% (unless they've hijacked a profile).
Phil O
Frequent Poster

Postby Paul Soundscape » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:03 pm

yeah very strange, i have reported it again to ebay.
Paul Soundscape
Regular

Postby Phil O » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:59 pm

Ebay are well known for a degree of apathy when it comes to rooting out fraudsters. I was once 'duped' with pirate software despite the listing suggesting it was legit. Ebay wouldn't take any action despite the clear breach of listing rules. It was not until I involved both trading standards and the software importers that the listing (and other similar listings by the same trader) were removed.
Phil O
Frequent Poster

Postby Paul Soundscape » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:38 pm

yeah the "security" people im emailing seem so thick, they really don't understand, ohwell, i think i might just email the highest bidder,
its their reputation im trying to save so someone doesnt get scammed! idiots!
Paul Soundscape
Regular

Re: Classic Nigerian Scam mail

Postby Rabid47 » Sun May 11, 2008 3:28 am

I've had one of these from USA. It was sent by someone caled Ellen Gideon and tells the tragic story of Mahmoud who apparently suffers the same symptons even though it is medicines rarest disease. I thought it was strange when he assured me he had only three months to live and then contacted me 8 months later.

Watch out for Scumbags! :madas:
Rabid47
Regular
Rab

Postby Glasgene » Wed May 21, 2008 4:46 pm

Beware this person:

Christopher lamptey

lampte011206@hotmail.com

Just had the above try and scam me through Gumtree buying a computer,it was reasonably convincing and could probaby be applied to anyone using paypal as a payment method:

1) they email you saying they are interested (good english) and request your paypal email and your name.

2) Then you receive notification of an instant payment that is addressed from paypalservice, BUT if you look at where it originates from the sending address is [email]online-trackreference@accountant.com.[/email]

3) the catch is that the payment is pending (checking paypal will confirm this is not the case) and that funds are being held until you send notification to online-trackreference@accountant.com that the item has been sent with a parcel tracking number; the funds will then be released to your paypal account in order to protect the buyer.. hmmmm

I have copied the email below with item details left out, including the delivery address as they may know nothing about it:

Dear ....,

You have an Instant Payment of £... GBP from Christopher Lamptey (lampte011206@hotmail.com)

Payment Details
Purchased From:
Transaction ID:5NS50308X5606661C

Item NumberItem TitleQuantityPriceSubtotal

1 £750.00
£750.00

Postage & Packing via Royalmail Next Day Guaranteed Delivery Service:
(includes any seller packing fees) £20.00

Postage Compensation : £0.00

Total: £770.00

Payment Information:

The payment for Guntree Item no.24018944 has been verified and confirmed. But due to security reasons on both sides of the buyer and the seller the status of the payment is pending. Most sellers do not ship out the exact items as they have listed on Gumtree and we are keen on securing the Gumtree community.You will be required to post out the item and email us its shipment reference number. We will then verify the status and contents of the shipment within 5 minutes with the courier service its been shipped through. Once we have completed verification, your account will be credited instantly.
As soon as shipment is made, Kindly get back to us with the shipment tracking number so that we can confirm it and then credit your funds immediately.You can send the shipment tracking number to us at (online-trackreference@accountant.com)
Note: Do not send the shipment reference number to the buyer until we have confirmed the status of the shipment and credited your Paypal Account.

Delivery Information

Address:

Address Status:Confirmed

Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team

Copyright © 1999-2008 PayPal. All rights reserved. PayPal (United Kingdom) Limited is authorized and regulated by the Financial Services Authority in the United Kingdom as an electronic money institution. PayPal FSA Register Number: 226056.

PayPal Email ID PP753
Glasgene
Regular

Postby Glasgene » Sat May 24, 2008 3:25 pm

AS A FOLLOW UP TO THE ABOVE IT SEEMS THAT IT IS PARTICULARLY GUMTREE THAT THESE SCAMS ARE AIMED AT AS I HAD SOMEONE ELSE TRY EXACTLY THE SAME [email]...F@%&*%S[/email]

IT WILL BEGIN WITH SOMEONE EMAILING YOU ASKING FOR YOUR BEST PRICE, POSTAGE COST AND IN PARTICULAR YOUR PAYPAL.. THEN THEY WILL SEND YOU THE ABOVE MAIL FOR MORE THAN YOUR ASKING PRICE TO TRY AND SNARE YOU.

I HOPE NO ONE FALLS FOR THIS.. IF I GET ANOTHER ONE IM THINKING ILL SEND AN ALTERNATIVE ;)
Glasgene
Regular

Postby mpmbln » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:13 pm

Posted here in error, sorry!

PM sent to Scam Alerts.

DO NOT buy the TB-303 or Virus C from "Norway" listed on Readers Ads!

More to follow...
mpmbln
New here

Postby Scope » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:29 pm

Just a quick heads-up - not music kit but:-

I tried to buy a black BMW 320 auto, "Y" reg ( a gift for the misses no less).

The item has been re-listed and I am the "inconsiderate buyer wasting everyones time"

Caveat Emptor

This scammer will not give you his address to collect the car.
He will not answer requests for an address.
He will not answer his phone.
A 2nd phone number ( supplyed by EBAY) is someone else - totally unrelated i.e - clearly not an english bloke called Harry, living in Swanley, Kent

The item is 280288201329

I left a negative and reported his behavior to Ebay.
He has not even asked why I left a negative !!!!!!!!!

I know its not synths etc, but I feel better warning everyone and anyone about this dirtbag.
Scope
Frequent Poster

Re: How can i prove i'm not a scammer?

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:14 am

CYPHER - I have edited your forum profile because you were including an image for your avatar that requests a password and login on a Romanian drum and bass site - this may worry some people, so it has been removed by me. Please use avatar images that are NOT behind a protected site.

Thanks
Ian G
FORUM ADMIN
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,638 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Readers Ads Scam Alerts.

Postby Forum Admin » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:16 am

Posting this here as Richard James 773 is allegedly using emails that are very similar to the classic scammer email wording, so Sellers BEWARE.

Forum Admin

Date: 4 February 2009 22:33:31 GMT
To: XXXXX name removed XXXXXX
Subject: Re: Enquiry re XXXXX in Sound On Sound Readers' Ads

Hello,
Thanks for the mail and for the advice but i just want you to understand that am okay with your asking price but i want you to understand that my customer made it clear to me that he can only make the payment by bank draft cheque and we will wait for the bank draft cheque to be clear in your bank before making any arrangement for the transport and You have to note that the transporter payment will also be added to the actual amount and this will be handled by my transporter so you dont need to worry about the transporter. if you are okay with this arrangement just send me your full details in your next mail..

Name (has to be issue on the cheque):
Address:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Country
Phone(Home,Mobile,Office):
Last Price:

I wait to read all this from you so that the cheque can be sent down to your destination...
Cheers..
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,638 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby PigKettle » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:51 pm

Slick con...

Between winning the bid on an ISA 220 and receiving the seller's sales information, a third party snuck in with their own invoice. It was perfectly worded, item description, sale details etc. and was sent via ebay, on official ebay corporate looking HTML with working ebay links.

I paid it. The genuine seller contacted me the next day with the genuine invoice. Alarm bells rang and within a few mails I realized I'd just been ripped off 830 euros.

The transfer was done using Western Union, which ebay warns against, so I should have been more cautious - but the invoice was so well prepared, it even supplied escrow details (payment to a third party who holds the cash until both parties agree the transaction has been satisfactorily made).

I was utterly duped by the professionalism of the documentation, so I would like to pass the warning on to all - NEVER use Western Union for these transactions and make sure you use the internal ebay messaging system.

Eagle out.
PigKettle
Poster

Postby Quaver » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:11 pm

Seems we have another Scammer trawling the Ads,I received this in reply to an ad I have in the Readers ad,the usual wording and phrasing suggests it one of those type of scams,anyone else received this

Hello m8,
Im Joe Horthon by name ,I came across your contact details through web directory concerning the Item you have for sale and im highly interested in purchasing it.I will like to know all the details about the Item before proceeding with the payment.....

1. How long have you owned it?

2. Why are you selling it?

3. Best offer?

4. Where you are located? (For viewing and inspection)

So, your swift response to these required information would be highly entertained before proceeding to the next stage. The method of payment is Cheque. Kindly email back, if it's still forsale. Hope to hear from you asap.
Cheers.
Joe
+447024037496
Quaver
Regular

PreviousNext