What I've done is create multimiked recordings of 20 different instruments to demonstrate the effects of microphone positioning. Unlike most other miking demos you'll find on the web, though, I've deliberately used multiples of the same mic on a single performance, so you can hear placement effects much more clearly.
Here's the link: Library Of Microphone Positions
The comparison files can be auditioned directly in-browser (alongside pictures of the miking setups for reference) at 192kbps MP3 quality, or downloaded as 24-bit/44.1kHz WAV files for more critical listening off-line.
So far the instrument line-up includes:
- electric guitar and three different acoustic guitars
- kick drum, three snare drums, and four cymbals (two crashes, ride, and china)
- upright bass (bowed and plucked)
- grand piano and upright piano
- soprano, alto, tenor, and baritone saxophones
- Bb clarinet and bass clarinet
Many thanks to all the musicians, venues, distributors, and assistant engineers who've helped me put this all together. This is an on-going long-term project of mine, so stay tuned for more new instruments in the coming year. (Just been speaking to a sitarist, which could be cool...)
Hope you find the files useful!