You are here

Good CD-Rs?

Knowledgebase collection of topics moved/copied from other sub-forums to preserve them from auto-pruning. Registered members can reply to topics here, but only Moderators can start or copy/move topics into this archive.

Re: Good CD-Rs?

Postby awjoe » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:27 am

[quote="James Perrett"]Yes, they'll all play fine for a while but it is what happens after a few months/years that really sets the different manufacturers apart.[/quote]

That's been my thought for a while now too, ever since some favorite CDs starting spontaneously giving up the ghost, like on my maybe 25-year-old copy of I Musici doing L'Estro Armonico, some of the most beautiful music to have wafted down to us on the breath of time . A Philips recording. Most other of my CDs, many older than the veiny Philips disks, are fine and play well. The only problem with them is occasional mold, and I wonder if some disks are more vulnerable to that than others, depending on the kind of plastic they use.

But anyway, I figure 25 or even 50 years isn't that long, really. So even better than quality CDs is fame. Fame keeps your music alive longer than disks. It's the only reason I can see for being famous - you get to keep your music alive longer, because it's in the public playlists. But I've never been famous, so what do I know?

Anyway #2: And at this point, I think that live music is better than fame, even. Better than the longevity that fame provides, I think, if you can pull it off well. It's easier, as well, if you don't believe that time actually exists. And as for recording it, well that's the best gig in the recording biz, right? That's where I'm putting my efforts these days.
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby awjoe » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:36 am

[quote="Hugh Robjohns"]
And relying upon CD-R for long term archiving is not a good idea either -- not because of the projected life of the disc itself, but because of the potential difficulty in finding a working disc replay machine in 25 years time...

H[/quote]

In the post just above this one, I was exploring ways of dealing with the shelf life of physical media. I don't know the answer, but I feel sure it has to involve something more than just a physical solution. (That's why I suggested fame as one approach - fame isn't physical.) The non-physical solution should solve the problem of no replay machine. Fame would take care of that, right?
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:32 am

Sadly the things we most frequently want to archive aren't the same kind of things that tend to get famous... ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby awjoe » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:14 pm

I'm not sure I know what you mean. (And because of the winking emoji, I want to know!)

I've recorded some good songs which, because of dodgy production standards, would never generate any kind of buzz even if I'd pushed distribution. Now that I'm paying more attention to production standards - (play in tune, play in time, mix with references) - the lack of buzz is due either to the songs not being golden or to the fact that my idea of a vigorous distribution strategy is to use Distrokid. ;-)

So, is my stuff not worth archiving? Am I just kidding myself? Well, I think it's worth archiving, but I've been wrong many times before, so.... we'll see.

In the meantime, the shelf life of a CD, even a crappy one, is good enough if people are interested enough in the music on that CD to keep making copies of it.

Next question: What about storage drives? Do they last longer than CDs? Or is the issue the same as the one Hugh raised - the archive can outlast the equipment needed to read it/play it?
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:01 pm

[quote="awjoe"]I'm not sure I know what you mean. (And because of the winking emoji, I want to know!)[/quote]
I was suggesting that that which is popular is not always the same thing as that which is good.

(for any given definition of both popular and good - but that's a separate discussion)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Previous