You are here

Good CD-Rs?

Knowledgebase READ-ONLY collection of topics moved from other sub-forums to preserve them from auto-pruning. Only Moderators can start/reply or move topics into this archive.

Re: Good CD-Rs?

Postby ManFromGlass » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:36 pm

Jadoube wrote:
James Perrett wrote:Back in those days I could fit more data on a CD than I could fit on my hard drive.

+1!
I would spend endless hours archiving to DAT. CD-R was a respite from DAT purgatory!

+1 but
The only downside? I couldn't finish a beer in the time it took to burn a Cd-R.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:02 pm

I think that was part of the argument for real-time CD-burning, wasn't it? :lol:

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby zenguitar » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:08 pm

He did say a beer, not a 6 pack of beers :)

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
The more I understand Music, the less good I get at it.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:55 pm

Fair point! How about...

I think that was part of the argument for 4x CD-burning, wasn't it? :bouncy:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby johnny h » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:21 pm

I wouldn't rely on CDs for long term storage. They are already archaic. CDs only hold 650mb to 700mb. A 1tb hard drive costs around £40 which holds 1000000mb.

There is really enough plastic in the world already. Just keep your data on the cloud and on a couple of new-ish hard drives, preferably from different manufacturers.
johnny h
Jedi Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:42 pm

Jadoube wrote:I live in a very dry part of Canada and the very first CD-R I burned still plays. Was branded "Yamaha" but I'm sure they didn't make it.

I recently found what must have been one of my earliest ever CD-Rs. It was branded TDK and the date on the jewel case inlay was July 1996. Stuck it in my Apple external CD-RW drive and it played without any discernible hiccup. That's 22 years after I burned it.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,561 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:15 pm

Ironically I also today loaded a CD-R backup disk that I burned in 2000, and it worked perfectly after 18 years 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:31 pm

johnny h wrote:I wouldn't rely on CDs for long term storage.

So far as I am aware not one single person on this thread has seriously advocated using CDRs for long term (or even short term) storage in 2018. Not sure why people keep banging on about it, quite honestly.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
A full wine rack is a happy wine rack.

Postby ManFromGlass » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:40 am

wouldn't the interpretation of the phrase "long term storage" be relative to one's age?
(not to be too gruesome. . .. )
Heck - CD-Rs might be just the ticket for my long term needs!

:clap: :thumbup: :thumbdown: ;)
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby redlester » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:30 pm

[quote="Hugh Robjohns"] ...there is already very little demand from the young generation. They are heavily conditioned -- and content -- to access their music from online streaming services, and increasingly the same is happening with video too as highspeed broadband connections are an expected utility. Netflix, Amazon Video, Virgin etc are mainstream content providers, and most people I know spend much more time sourcing films and TV programmes online than they do from Bluray or DVD.[/quote]

I regularly have this discussion with my stepdaughter (aged 30) who simply cannot fathom why I won't pay Spotify and Netflix to stream music and video.

She can't get her head round me wanting to own and control my own library, even though most of my CD's are in the cellar - I have no problem with ripping them to disc, in fact I prefer it. Recently I've taken to buying music off Amazon in mp3 download format, but I will never use streaming services. I just can't bear the thought of having to access a library stocked by some faceless company rather than have my own library.

I think I should have been a librarian!
redlester
Regular

Postby awjoe » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:27 am

[quote="James Perrett"]Yes, they'll all play fine for a while but it is what happens after a few months/years that really sets the different manufacturers apart.[/quote]

That's been my thought for a while now too, ever since some favorite CDs starting spontaneously giving up the ghost, like on my maybe 25-year-old copy of I Musici doing L'Estro Armonico, some of the most beautiful music to have wafted down to us on the breath of time . A Philips recording. Most other of my CDs, many older than the veiny Philips disks, are fine and play well. The only problem with them is occasional mold, and I wonder if some disks are more vulnerable to that than others, depending on the kind of plastic they use.

But anyway, I figure 25 or even 50 years isn't that long, really. So even better than quality CDs is fame. Fame keeps your music alive longer than disks. It's the only reason I can see for being famous - you get to keep your music alive longer, because it's in the public playlists. But I've never been famous, so what do I know?

Anyway #2: And at this point, I think that live music is better than fame, even. Better than the longevity that fame provides, I think, if you can pull it off well. It's easier, as well, if you don't believe that time actually exists. And as for recording it, well that's the best gig in the recording biz, right? That's where I'm putting my efforts these days.
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Music production is like finding a good hair dresser

Postby awjoe » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:36 am

[quote="Hugh Robjohns"]
And relying upon CD-R for long term archiving is not a good idea either -- not because of the projected life of the disc itself, but because of the potential difficulty in finding a working disc replay machine in 25 years time...

H[/quote]

In the post just above this one, I was exploring ways of dealing with the shelf life of physical media. I don't know the answer, but I feel sure it has to involve something more than just a physical solution. (That's why I suggested fame as one approach - fame isn't physical.) The non-physical solution should solve the problem of no replay machine. Fame would take care of that, right?
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:32 am

Sadly the things we most frequently want to archive aren't the same kind of things that tend to get famous... ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby awjoe » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:14 pm

I'm not sure I know what you mean. (And because of the winking emoji, I want to know!)

I've recorded some good songs which, because of dodgy production standards, would never generate any kind of buzz even if I'd pushed distribution. Now that I'm paying more attention to production standards - (play in tune, play in time, mix with references) - the lack of buzz is due either to the songs not being golden or to the fact that my idea of a vigorous distribution strategy is to use Distrokid. ;-)

So, is my stuff not worth archiving? Am I just kidding myself? Well, I think it's worth archiving, but I've been wrong many times before, so.... we'll see.

In the meantime, the shelf life of a CD, even a crappy one, is good enough if people are interested enough in the music on that CD to keep making copies of it.

Next question: What about storage drives? Do they last longer than CDs? Or is the issue the same as the one Hugh raised - the archive can outlast the equipment needed to read it/play it?
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:01 pm

[quote="awjoe"]I'm not sure I know what you mean. (And because of the winking emoji, I want to know!) [/quote]

I was suggesting that that which is popular is not always the same thing as that which is good.

(for any given definition of both popular and good - but that's a separate discussion)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

PreviousNext