You are here

Where to spend: mic, preamp, or interface?

Knowledgebase READ-ONLY collection of topics moved from other sub-forums to preserve them from auto-pruning. Only Moderators can start/reply or move topics into this archive.

Re: Where to spend mic preamp or interface

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:32 pm

rggillespie wrote:Thanks for all the detailed feedback, it's looks like room treatment is the way forward for me.

Bravo!!! :clap:

Let us know how you get on, and how obvious the audible improvements are :thumbup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby rggillespie » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:25 am

Just replying on this as requested, I've now finished the room treatment as recommended to me by those who kindly took the time to reply to my query.
Treating the room has really made a huge improvement and it's far beyond what I had anticipated. In the end I opted for a set of primacoustics london panels and a gikacoustics ceiling cloud was added later. Both suppliers were very helpful with my queries and recommended things to me based on photos and dimensions I emailed to them. Installation was straightforward, and the first time I played back things I had recorded and knew well it was a eureka moment. Everything is that much clearer and defined, in every respect timbre, spatially in the mix, top to bottom. I can best describe it as having the music pulled into focus, you can hear it all clearly in a way that wasn't there before. So it was a success from mixing point of view and also from a recording point of view. I had some bass anomalies and they seem to have cleared up, and issues recording my acoustic have gone. It just makes the possibilities open up and having done it, I feel as if I can concentrate on the music making side of things as I'm not having issues with whats been recorded. There is much less of gap between what I'm hearing in the room and what I'm hearing when its recorded and played back.
In short I cant recommend room treatment highly enough, certainly over buying new gear until the room itself is sorted out. Thanks again for the guidance!
rggillespie
Poster

Postby Bob Bickerton » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:28 am

Thanks for reporting back. Yes, working in a treated space makes all the difference!

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Jedi Poster
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby Wonks » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:39 am

Great news. Welcome to your new studio!
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:46 pm

rggillespie wrote:Treating the room has really made a huge improvement and it's far beyond what I had anticipated.
...In short I cant recommend room treatment highly enough, certainly over buying new gear until the room itself is sorted out. Thanks again for the guidance!

Hi again rggillespie, and thanks for reporting back!

Excellent news, and worth repeating, as this revelation happens to most of us in the end - when discussing new gear or acoustic treatment, I always like to think of the latter as making EVERYTHING sound more expensive :thumbup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:10 pm

Excellent, glad it has worked well (though, TBF, we know it would :D ) for you.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:17 pm

Excellent news. If only everyone took the advice to improve room acoustics onboard so enthusiastically.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:21 pm

Hugh (or any other Mod):

Is it worth putting this into 'Useful Information' so that it's readily accessible when the next person comes along with a similar question? The key point here is that the OP took advice on board, did something about it and was happy to report on the benefits!
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:33 pm

Good idea Mike!

I've just moved this Where to spend mic preamp or interface topic into our Useful Information Archive

The ghost version is still in the forum where it was originally, so that no-one loses the thread so to speak ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Re: Where to spend: mic, preamp, or interface?

Postby Philbo King » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:08 pm

As a percentage of budget, for a home mixing setup:
40% room acoustics treatment
40% monitor speakers
20% everything else

Because you can't mix what you can't properly hear
Philbo King
Poster

Previous