You are here

Recommendations for Reference Track Lists

Knowledgebase collection of topics moved/copied from other sub-forums to preserve them from auto-pruning. Registered members can reply to topics here, but only Moderators can start or copy/move topics into this archive.

Re: Recommendations for Reference Track Lists

Postby paulsmusic » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:57 am

Nikitas wrote:Also check out Avalon (Roxy Music) and Boys and Girls (Bryan Ferry.) Crazy amounts of texture and things going on but never sounds muddy or wall-of-soundy. Fine examples of complex yet articulated mixes.

Thanks Nikitas, I've already got Avalon on my list! It was suggested on an Izotope playlist (can't find it now), but here's another playlist from Izotope with reference track suggestions:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3EX1K ... mX04m5lNMv

And here are some others from 12 top mixing/mastering engineers:

https://sonicscoop.com/2017/04/24/refer ... eneration/
paulsmusic
Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:29 am

paulsmusic wrote:Strangely enough, I was looking for a copy of his 'Sound Check2' reference CD yesterday. The only copy I can find at the moment is £20 on Ebay - I still might buy it!

If you're looking for reference music tracks, it's not that helpful in my view. There are only a few mixed music tracks on the disk and they're all over-the-top hi-fi show-off pieces really, along with some silly sound effects. Not really the kind of stuff you need to get your ear attuned to different genres for mixing!

And while the test tones and filtered noise can be useful, there's nothing that can't be generated in most DAWs these days anyway, and if aligning a system out and about I find a proper test generator like the NTI MR2-Pro is more useful and convenient....

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:32 am

Re. Eddie's suggestion of making this sticky, I have instead moved this thread into our 'Useful Information Archive.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Previous