You are here

Auralex Roominator Kits??? Any good??

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Auralex Roominator Kits??? Any good??

Postby DoeZer » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:32 pm

Hi

the auralex room kits look SOOOOO handy, and although expensive (for me!), theyre not crazy prices like some other stuff in this field...

has anyone used them/ fitted them. Do they work to good effect?

here's a link to Deluxe Plus Roominator kit which is specified exactly for a room the size of which I will have..

http://www.auralex.com/sound_control_deluxeplus/sound_control_deluxeplus.asp

all comments much apreciated as always ;)

cheers
D
DoeZer
Regular

Re: Auralex Roominator Kits??? Any good??

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:45 pm

most room treatment kist are pretty useful... however, there's NO such thing asa truly effective foam bass trap.
you'd be better off getting just what panels are appropriate for your room in terms of hi/mid absorption/diffusion, and a few Mini traps form Ethan Winer's "Realtraps" company.

these are actually pretty damn good bass traps.

www.realtraps.com

Max
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby olivier » Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:54 pm

yes but the minitraps are tuned where corner traps are not.
olivier
Poster

Postby DoeZer » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:43 pm

what exactly does 'tuned' mean??

also, ive also read th opposite on another forum.. that the auralex stuff absorbs bass end + all frequencies BETTER than the realtraps stuff.
which is true?? dont ask me!! i'm just looking to treat a room as well as i can within a reasonable budget and for the minimum amount of hassle involved (i dont have time to go the DIY route unfortunately)...

D
DoeZer
Regular

Postby Ethan Winer » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:23 pm

Olivier,

> the minitraps are tuned where corner traps are not <

That's not true at all. MiniTraps and our newer, larger MondoTraps are both broadband absorbers. They do have a huge amount of absorption at low frequencies, and it may appear from the data at our site that they are tuned, but they are not.

--Ethan
Ethan Winer
Regular

Postby Ethan Winer » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:31 pm

DoeZer,

> I read that the auralex stuff absorbs bass end + all frequencies BETTER than the realtraps stuff. <

Not in a million years. :headbang:

The comparison I believe you're referring to was 1) sponsored by Auralex, and 2) used a slab of foam four times larger than a MiniTrap. And even with all that mass it was only a tiny bit more absorbent (5 percent) at 100 Hz than a MiniTrap. More important, that data is invalid for a variety of technical reasons. You can trust the independant magazine reviews that all came to the conclusion that RealTraps surpass foam in every way.

--Ethan
Ethan Winer
Regular

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:07 pm

DoeZer wrote:what exactly does 'tuned' mean??

also, ive also read th opposite on another forum.. that the auralex stuff absorbs bass end + all frequencies BETTER than the realtraps stuff.
which is true?? dont ask me!! i'm just looking to treat a room as well as i can within a reasonable budget and for the minimum amount of hassle involved (i dont have time to go the DIY route unfortunately)...

D

Point me to this "other forum", there are some heads that need bashing.

that is complete and utter bollox.

TRUST ME, I do NOT work for Ethan , nor do i get a special rate or any backhanders..... but I have PERSONALLY installed more than 50 of his real traps "Mini traps" on client sites since they became available in the UK, and they are FAR more effective than ANY foam based product as currently available.

the corner wedge bass traps are all uniformly useless below @120-150 Hz, and even there they are less effective... they are quite capable above @200Hz, but that's it.

and frankly, the Mini traps also look better. ;)

Also, Read Martin Walker's review of them, IN Sound on Sound, HE bought several of them, as a result of reviewing them .......... I might add that SOS reviewers do NOT get to keep equipment they review, Unless they BUY it , with THEIR OWN MONEY!...........

I'll also add that the Studios I've equipped with these are NOT (bar one) home project studios, but fully professional establishments.

If I didn't rate the product, I wouldn't recommend it, and i Sure as hell would NOT be fitting it in my Client's studios.

Max
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby Digipenguin » Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:57 am

http://www.recording.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=34

Look around.

Apparently this Eric Desart guy has a hard on for bustin' Ethan's chops.
Digipenguin
Regular
John D. Geisen Owner DPS

Postby DoeZer » Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:43 am

Here Max... you asked for a link.

http://forum.studiotips.com/viewtopic.php?t=536

for me personally, the only reason I want to sway more towards the other products (not the real or mini traps is cos theyre a DAMN sight cheaper over here than the realtraps stuff!

does anyone have any opinions on these 'prima-kits' which also do the room-in-one kind of solution...
just more of the same I imagine?? heres a link...

http://www.sonic-distribution.com/2/pages/2_frameset.htm

cheers
D
DoeZer
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:22 am

Just to reinforce the good things that have been said about Ethan's Minitraps - I spent far longer on my review of them in SOS because I was so interested in finding out just how effective they were, and particularly at low frequencies. I already had five slabs of Melatech acooustic foam of almost identical dimensions to the Minitraps, and there was no comparison - size for size, the Minitraps were immensely more effective.

As Max has said, the foam (4 inches thick) only worked down to about 200-250Hz, while the Minitraps provided huge absorption right down to about 80Hz in my studio, and even made a small but measurable improvement to a room mode at 43Hz!

Not only did I buy the set of four Minitraps sent for review, but I also ordered a further two to improve my acoustics still further - they are the best modular and easy-to-install acoustic treatment I've ever usedt, and that includes huge foam tiles, cylindrical tuned traps, and some huge membrane trap boxes with perforated fronts that have now had their fronts ripped off and are currently retired to the garden and filled with soil for growing vegetables!

Need I say more?

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Robin Lemaire » Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:30 am

Martin,

You could probably go into a little more detail as to which vegetables grow best in which of the old traps.

If you wanted to be really thorough!
Robin Lemaire
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:37 am

I'll add my two pen'neth to say that all of the various foam acoustic treatment is helpful for controlling HF and MF reflections. But having fitted a few foam corner bass traps for the Studio SOS series, I really wouldn't go there. It looks kind of pretty, but a rolled up duvet is demonstrably more effective!

I have also experimented with the minitrap panels -- I actually have a pair here at the moment -- and they are excellent. They look good, they are easy to fit (and take down), and the work remarkably well. Yes, they are relatively expensive, but I see no reason why they shouldn't last a lifetime (unlike the foam which will probably fall apart in a few years) and hence the value for money is actually very good -- even in the UK.

hugh
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:42 am

Good point about foam deterioration Hugh - my 4-inch panels are all crumbling at the edges now, and several are missing small chunks.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby DoeZer » Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:52 am

HI

thanks. all sounds very interesting.
just one point though. i dont think its right to say that one product is better than the other given that its alot SMALLER. its down to cost. if you buy X trap and its more effective than Y trap and cheaper then X trap wins. Yes, Y trap may indeed be alot smaller and on a per cubic meter of material basis may win hands down, but most people are just interested in cost and effectiveness...

having said that!! all this positive talk on mini-traps is being noted and I certainly will check them out! like i say, all I want is as 'true' a monitoring environment as i can get! once I feel Im getting value for money I dont care who I go to!

thanks again to all...
D
DoeZer
Regular

Postby olivier » Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:57 am

Ethan Winer wrote:Olivier,

> the minitraps are tuned where corner traps are not <

That's not true at all. MiniTraps and our newer, larger MondoTraps are both broadband absorbers. They do have a huge amount of absorption at low frequencies, and it may appear from the data at our site that they are tuned, but they are not.

--Ethan

Ethan, with all the respect I have for your products, which are excellent with no doubt , the graph in the link below seems to say that minitraps are much more efficient in the bass department than they are in the mids, whereas auralex LENRDS and simple chunks of heavy rockwool stuck in the corners seem to have a much wider bandwidth.

http://forum.studiotips.com/viewtopic.php?t=536

that made me thinking that even if your product is indeed broadband it is more 'tuned' than others. to me what I say is consistent with the "resonating membrane" design you have chosen.
am I wrong ?
olivier
Poster

Next