You are here

Vintage Synth advice sought

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Vintage Synth advice sought

Postby The Elf » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:36 pm

ken long wrote:Doesn't the 60 have balanced outs or am I thinking of the JP8?
It's the JP8 that has balanced outs (the MKS-80 does too).

I enjoyed my Juno 6 at the time I had it, but I realised even then that it sounded a bit 'plastic'. That's fine in itself, but a bit much when you aspire to a broader pallette. Once you get to hear the likes of a Jupiter, Prophet or Oberheim poly there's simply no going back. ;)
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby The Elf » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:38 pm

ken long wrote:PG-800 is fantastic with a JX-3P. Used it many times. Very tactile but also very sensitive.
Is that a typo, Ken? I thought only the PG-300 worked with the JX-3P? Is there some level of cross-compatibility?
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby ken long » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:09 pm

Oops! It is a typo but not the 300 - the 200

ken
ken long
Frequent Poster (Level2)
I'm All Ears.

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:09 pm

Ya, the 6, 60 and 106 are limited, but what they can do they do well, and with great ease. I think they can sound expensive, but that's because you hear them on so many records. One way to fatten them up is to layer them, via MIDI and multitracking- which is exactly what they did on those records!
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Postby Original Jambo » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:00 pm

Tomás Mulcahy wrote:The Juno 106 and 60 are pretty much the same synth, the 106 has a slight difference in the way the LPF/HPF slider is wired into the audio path, so the 60 has a bass boost, the 106 doesn't.

Don't mean to be pedantic but I'm pretty sure it's the 106 that makes use of the bass boost circuit when the high-pass filter is at its lowest setting:

http://sequence15.blogspot.com/2008/10/why-does-juno-60-sound-different-from.html

Also the fact that the 106 VCF/VCA chips fail so often is another reason why many may favour the 6/60.
Original Jambo
Poster

Postby nathanscribe » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:32 pm

OJ's correct, the 60 has a regular HPF, the 106 has the bass boost in one position.

As for the arpeggiator, it's one of the things that make the Juno 6/60 so much fun I think...
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:45 pm

Cool thanks :)
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Postby narcoman » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:36 am

I'd take the Fairlight CMI if Elf wont.!!! Very unique piece of equipment!!

Korg Poly 800 is good for a laugh... bit different to the usual Juno this, Prophet 5 that....
narcoman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Battenburg to the power of 20 - said by Richie Royale in a moment of genius. 4pm. Wed 16th Nov 2011. Remember where you were....

Postby The Elf » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:01 pm

narcoman wrote:I'd take the Fairlight CMI if Elf wont.!!! Very unique piece of equipment!!

Ha ha! You’re welcome to it! I certainly wouldn’t want the upkeep of such a relatively rare machine these days!

I’m a bit cold about samplers to be honest; they don’t hold any nostalgic feelings for me. I see them as simple record/playback machines. I’m happy to use NI Kontakt.

But if you buy it, I'd love to come and have a play! :bouncy:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby starman9 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:10 am

Every bit of gear in that list has SOME merit! Much depends on price and what you actually intend to do with the gear. Are you looking to resell or to use yourself? If the latter, what sort of sounds do you like? What sort of music do you make?

My favs would be:

Yamaha DX7 Mk2
Korg M1
Roland Juno 106 (nb. the 60 isn't midi and the Juno 1 has 'orrible 'short pivot' keys) Basic Roland analog polysynth. Good though!
JX10 Analog polysynth. This is fatter than the Junos. Really love this!
JD800: Love this! Bit more recent than the JX10 and Junos. More versatile
Roland D50: Contains samples AND analog waveforms. Contains some classic sounds you'll probably recognise.
SH101: Great mono synth. Fat bass and lead sounds
Casio VZ1: Has a certain unique, digital sound though definitely not an all rounder!
CR8000 drum box: Has a quirky magic. Adjustable swing amount.
I think the PG controllers are extremely saleable on ebay btw!

Should be able to view/hear much of this on you tube though do beware: such vids often don't do much justice to the gear!
starman9
Regular

Postby DragonLogos » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:31 am

The Korg 700 - nice, no CV / Gate - used resister value keyboard with gold plated switches, rock solid. stable oscillation - check that the switches all work and that the travellers are not too stiff - great fun can be had turning the travellers upside down so they don't lock, so people cut the locks off - the mains fuse is in the place were the lead fits - they used Thick Films instead of ICs
DragonLogos
Regular

Postby DragonLogos » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:35 pm

Check that all the keys are working on the 101 and the other Rolands CT can be damp hot and humid at times, with a result that the tracks on the keyboard get eaten away, you will often see the green paint gone black, which when scratched away reveals very little Copper left - this tends to happen between the keys so maybe take a torch with you
DragonLogos
Regular

Previous