You are here

Small bass drum module...

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Small bass drum module...

Postby Hewesy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:43 pm

Hi,

I'd like to build a small electronic bass drum module, for self accompanying acoustic guitar. I've used a few footstompers, including the really cool Logarythmn, but they only seem to work at stage levels or through a good PA/bass amp.

What I'd like to do is build a small bass drum module, which I can trigger via a footswitch (like a Yamaha FC5). I know I can use a drum machine for this, but ideally I'd like something smaller to sit on my pedalboard.

Help! I'm happy to tinker and build something (as long as it is not overly complex).

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Re: Small bass drum module...

Postby Spiked Lunch » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:45 am

Just a thought but how about using/modifying a modular synthesizer bass drum module such as the MFB DRUM-04 => http://www.mfberlin.de/Produkte/Module/DRUM-04/DRUM-04e/drum-04e.html

You should be able to trigger it using a cheep on/off type sustain foot switch in series with a battery to create a DC pulse.

If you wanted to, you could probably do a basic repetitive sequence by building a square wave LFO.

I imagine that you could probably rehouse it into something more guitar pedal like if you wanted, only showing the controls you need.

The only issue may be the power supply - probably similar, if not the same as for the Doepfer modules.

Mike
Spiked Lunch
Regular

Postby Hewesy » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:55 am

Now that does look cool, and I like the options available to.

Thanks Mike, I'll put that as the Rolls Royce solution, but very nice indeed...

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Postby Hewesy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:47 am

Now they look very cool, thanks! Have you made any of them?

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster