You are here

Music Production Degree's

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Music Production Degree's

Postby tomafd » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:36 pm

Mart[y]n wrote:
The truth is its a hard industry where you have to work your nutts off and struggle to get by and also accept that it may never change.

It was like that 25 years ago (when I started) and it's still like that. I don't even have grade 1 piano, still can't read music, never got a degree in music production or anything else music related. Yet somehow I've managed to survive and at my age know full well there's [ ****** ] all else I can do, now, so working my nutts off to continue to get music work (again) is the only option I have.

Degrees have (a little) something to do with it - but usually either straightforward music degrees from the Royal Academy (or similar), or straightforward electronics degrees which actually teach you how to make and fix stuff. "Music production" degrees don't appear to have anything useful to offer anyone. A capacity for sheer bloody-minded determination, long, long hours working away at something that may never earn you a penny, and just being a straight up good geezer who's totally professional about what you do, are worth a lot more- along with total acceptance that there is NO standard career path and it's likely that you'll get absolutely nowhere, for years, with no guarantee, of any kind, that you'll get anywhere anyway. If you want a 'normal' life, with average income, mortgage, family, and all that jazz - avoid. Or do it as a hobby.
tomafd
Frequent Poster

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:37 pm

Hi, I studied Music Technology and, grnated I loved it, but that was more about the bands, the gigs, the recordings. I think I learnt only very little about recording or production from my studies - I learnt these skills from practising and messing around with mates on my course.

On the other hand, I did learn a lot about acoustics, electronics and waves. Now I already studied Physics at A-level but was able to really build on this at Uni. For me, I could have studied Physics or Electronics and kept up with recording as a hobby and be as adept as I am now in a 'studio' environment. This is because these are subjects that are can be classroom taught, whereas Music Production is much more of an iterative process, ie just keep doing it again and again and you'll learn every day.

I think where you are coming from you could like into Sound Design or Acoustics as an area you could enjoy.

Best,

Sibbo

Postby Ted Kendall » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:42 pm

How have you got to this standard of education without realising that a plural does not take an apostrophe?
Ted Kendall
Regular

Postby DaleSmith » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:59 pm

Ted Kendall wrote:How have you got to this standard of education without realising that a plural does not take an apostrophe?

Nicely "on topic" Ted.. ( made me laugh tho )..

:D
DaleSmith
Regular

Postby Chucho » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:59 am

DaleSmith wrote:
Ted Kendall wrote:How have you got to this standard of education without realising that a plural does not take an apostrophe?

Nicely "on topic" Ted.. ( made me laugh tho )..

:D

don't you mean tho' ?

:lol:
Chucho
Poster
I've got rhythm, I ain't got pitch

Postby Steve Hill » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:34 am

Play nicely people...

I'm with Red Bladder here. He may be loath to use ten words where one will do but he's a dour Highlander. He's also right.

Nobody ever hired a music producer because he'd got a good CV. It's what have you done.

You can spend three years at uni clocking up a lot of student debt which you can spend decades struggling to repay - and no doubt have some fun, and getting some very broad educational benefits too, like how to research, and self-motivate etc.

Or you could spend a fraction as much on a home set-up and start producing music 24/7. And that's fun too. At the end of three years you'll know whether you're any good a it, but you'll have fewer debts. And maybe the makings of a decent showreel.
Steve Hill
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Mowens800 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:35 am

I would say, complete your media production degree, get some kind of job and work sound as a hobby. Spent the £15k debt minimum you would acquire on studio equipment, books etc, and then practice. I would steer away from music production. I have a Bsc (Hons) in music technology, so we studied some of the stuff the oldies above say you need (electronics, acoustics etc). I’m not working in ‘the music industry’, but I am still using the skills from that degree (most people from my course are not). A BA in production might just be playing on a computer, not really a transferable enough skill when you don't get that studio job. Always have a plan B.
Mowens800
Regular

Postby Zukan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:15 pm

Ok guys, I think everyone has input some useful insight into this thread but the dude has asked for a specific comparable recommendation.
I think he well aware now of the pitfalls etc.

He intends on continuing with his decision so please afford him the response he is after.
Zukan

Previous