You are here

Electronic Drum kit .......which budget model to choose?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Electronic Drum kit .......which budget model to choose?

Postby Sosabba » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:03 pm

Hi

I'm a sh!t drummer! But I've been asked to get together some instruments for the Care Home where I work. I'm fine with most of this (as a guitarist and recorder) but know very little about electronic drumkits.

It needs to be a cheap set - but there seem so many to choose from! A local shop is selling Impact DD-502 kits for £250....... I had a quick go (and a lot of fun) but wondered if there are other popular models I should consider. Also, any advice on what to look out for when choosing would be a great help.

Cheers

Max
Sosabba
Frequent Poster

Re: Electronic Drum kit .......which budget model to choose?

Postby sigod » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:51 pm

I use a Roland TD-5 kit for everyday use but The Alesis DM5 isn't bad and is the cheapest electronic kit that I have come directly into contact with (it retails at about £399 and but I'm not sure if that might be a bit too pricey for you). The playing response is good and the sounds are very usable but as the link suggests, it's not easy to get it set up and set down fast if you have no prior exeperience with kits of this nature.
Alesis DM5 Kit

There is a cheaper alternative made by a company called Medeli (which retails for around £299) although I have not used it myself.
Medeli DD501

A quick google using the search term "Electronic Drum Kit" and then choose Products or Shopping in google's results should see you good for some additional alternatives.

I hope that's of some help.
sigod

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:13 pm

If you can stretch to the Alesis then get that, it's certainly the best 'budget' electronic kit IMO. Digital Village were doing a package with drum stool, sticks, and headphones for £389, i think!

Postby TheChorltonWheelie » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:25 pm

Li-rocchi wrote:Hi

I'm a sh!t drummer! But I've been asked to get together some instruments for the Care Home where I work. I'm fine with most of this (as a guitarist and recorder) but know very little about electronic drumkits.

The DD502 is fine for knocking about on: I regularly record with a session drummer (of some repute) on a DD kit, although I use BFD samples rather than the onboard sounds. I have a DD508 kit that I've been loaned, I'd say that's easily on par with the Roland TD kits in terms of feel and sound quality, although they're around £400 new.
TheChorltonWheelie
Frequent Poster

Postby Wease » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:51 pm

Li-rocchi wrote:Hi

I'm a sh!t drummer! But I've been asked to get together some instruments for the Care Home where I work.
Cheers

Max

I think, cause you're a care home, you may qualify for some discount (education??) from sellers
i'd have a word with GAK, Andertons etc etc (both of whom advertise in SOS) to see what sort of discount you can get

As for what to buy...we use in our school a Yamaha DTX express, brought for £550 and still going very strong, after being beaten to [ ****** ] by our very challenging pupils. It's a great education resource and a great fun too!! I'd worry about going too cheap...the old adage of you get what you pay for does have some strength in electronic drum kits....remember you hit these things a lot...

Yamaha or roland - and don't expect to pay less than £500...if you want the kit to last more than 10 minutes...!

(quality does cost - and your care home will want the kit to last for the next 5 years i presume!)
Wease
Frequent Poster
http://soundcloud.com/seaapes

Postby Shambolic Charm » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:21 am

there are numerous 502 kits on the net and they are all made by the same manufacturer as are the 501's. I suspect this company also make Alesis as the frames are the same. I have a rock-jam dd502 and it is quite a nice kit , the pads feel good to play- on the whole the kit is solid. I dont know about the sensors underneath but I hear they are repairable.
Shambolic Charm
Frequent Poster
http://www.myspace.com/shambolic-charm