You are here

Getting into Pro Tools question

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Getting into Pro Tools question

Postby Bendybones » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:40 pm

Hi All,
I would like to start learning ProTools.
I am currently minding a friend's M-Box2 while she is away.

Would it be possibel to buy the "M-Powered" version of ProTools and start using it with this?

Or even better would any of the versions of PT work with my MOTU Ultralite Mk3 (not the hybrid version) or Apogee Duet?

Regards,
Keith
Bendybones
Regular

Re: Getting into Pro Tools question

Postby The Elf » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:43 pm

The MBox2 works with Pro Tools LE.

Pro Tools software will only work with Digidesign-licensed/approved hardware - one of the reasons I refuse to use it as my main DAW, since I will not be dictated to as to what audio interface I'm allowed to use.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby G-Doubleyou » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:44 pm

PTLE, and Mpowered apps will not open unless a Digidesign, or M-Audio interface is present.

A better value would be Logic Express, Logic Pro, Cubase, DP, or Live.

8-)
G-Doubleyou
Frequent Poster
G-Dub Studio G-fx 2011 15inch 2.0GHz quad-core i7 Macbook Pro, LPX 10.3.2
2.3 GHz quad-core i7 Mini

Postby forumuser775780 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:46 pm

Pro Tools will only work with The M-Box or M-Box2 or Digidesign hardware [like 003 or 002]

Pro Tool's M-Powered will only work with M-Audio soundcards.

Pro Tools will not work with any other audio interface other than Digidesign or M-Audio [m-powered]

Hope this helps dude....
forumuser775780
Regular

Postby Bendybones » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:06 pm

Thanks for the replies all.

One more question:
Will I be able to run Pro Tools on my friend's M-Box2 or is there licensing issues involved? (Similar to trying to attempting to copy-paste software from one computer to another).

Looking through the PT site I can't really figure this out.
Bendybones
Regular

Postby The Elf » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:25 pm

You can run the hardware on as many computers as you like - the software you will need to purchase.

Are you sure it has to be Pro Tools? You could simply load up the ASIO drivers and run any cheap/free DAW you like. I run Cubase and Reaper with my MBox 2.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Bendybones » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:17 pm

Just to check one more thing:
By any chance is PT obscenely heavy, resource-wise?

My laptop (2008 MBP 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM) handles anything I throw at it, but I thought I'd check as I know most PT studios would be running much stronger computers.

I don't need high track counts as it is purely for learning purposes at the moment. So I should be fine, right?

The Elf wrote:You can run the hardware on as many computers as you like - the software you will need to purchase.

Are you sure it has to be Pro Tools? You could simply load up the ASIO drivers and run any cheap/free DAW you like. I run Cubase and Reaper with my MBox 2.
Thanks Elf.

Athough I'm very happy with Logic Pro and Abelton Live, I potentially have some work coming up which will take place in a ProTools studio so I want to get to grips with PT as soon as possible.

Cheers
Bendybones
Regular

Postby Sam Inglis » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:38 am

Pro Tools LE should be fine on your machine, resource-wise, though it can be finicky about OS versions and that sort of thing. As far as I remember it's just authorised using a serial number, so as long as you have the installer discs and serial number that came with the M Box, I see no reason why you shouldn't install it on your own computer.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby caveman82 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:45 am

I'd forget about getting M-Powered, and maybe get an MBox mini. It's not that more than M-Powered

http://www.dv247.com/computer-hardware/digidesign-mbox-2-mini-usb-powered-audio-workstation-including-pro-tools-8-le--37080

v

http://www.dv247.com/computer-music-software/m-audio-pro-tools-m-powered-8--61398

Or maybe look for a second hand M-Box on ebay? They seem to have gone for under £100....
caveman82
Frequent Poster
http://soundcloud.com/earwighoney

Postby Matt Houghton » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:41 am

Mart[y]n wrote:Pro Tools will not work with any other audio interface other than Digidesign or M-Audio [m-powered]

The rest of your points are spot on, but don't forget that some of the Mackie Onyx range of mixers can now be used with Pro Tools M-Powered if you purchase the 'driver' separately.
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Postby C-Bro » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:37 pm

Matt Houghton wrote:
Mart[y]n wrote:Pro Tools will not work with any other audio interface other than Digidesign or M-Audio [m-powered]

The rest of your points are spot on, but don't forget that some of the Mackie Onyx range of mixers can now be used with Pro Tools M-Powered if you purchase the 'driver' separately.

Yes, IMHO the Mbox mini gives you the best bang for the buck.

Matt has a good point as well!
C-Bro
Regular

Postby Bendybones » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:49 pm

Sam Inglis wrote:as long as you have the installer discs and serial number that came with the M Box, I see no reason why you shouldn't install it on your own computer.
I don't have those. Just the M-Box2 borrowed from my friend who doesn't have them either.

caveman82 wrote:I'd forget about getting M-Powered, and maybe get an MBox mini.
I think I'm starting to understand now. It seems the M-Powered version of the software can be purchased by itself, but the LE version (which comes with the M-Box interfaces and is less limited) cannot be bought separately?
In this case and at the prices linked to above the Mini makes total sense as this M-Box2 could be collected anytime.

Thanks everyone for the help ==b
Bendybones
Regular

Postby jayzed » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:57 pm

Remember that the earliest m-boxes are not officially supported by Avid anymore, perhaps this is why some of the cheap s/h prices exist.

I, too, would recommend an M-Box mini. It wasn't made when I bought my pro-tools copy so I went with the cheapest M-Audio interface and m-powered. I was in a similar situation where I needed to work with some PT files. The reasons I wouldn't go with m-p is that it requires an ilok as well as the interface (problematic on laptops with limited USB ports) and doesn't do timecode.

It turns out that I need that timecode (and the video stuff available in the DV pack which won't work with M-P) much more than I thought originally so I'm going to have to buy yet another copy of P-T and an M-box or 003.

Do I get a crossgrade discount? Do I bugger.
jayzed
Frequent Poster

Postby JamesSimpson » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:18 pm

Interesting point about crossgrades, perhaps thats something digi should do.

To be fair though, if you were doing video work seriously, chances are you would know you needed it in advance, and would be turning enough over to buy into the digi LE machine.
JamesSimpson
Frequent Poster
Squarehead Jam Jar Facebook Jam Jar