You are here

Waves updated their plan

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Waves updated their plan

Postby * User requested deletion 2 * » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:39 pm

MarcusH wrote:I just got their Vocal Rider - which is really effective. Except for a similar product that's ProTools only, it's unique, so I had to buy Waves.

Likewise for me with their stereo to 5.1 upmix plug. Saved my bacon a few times, is very effective and costs a whole lot less than anything comparable on the market.
* User requested deletion 2 *
Frequent Poster

Postby stinkfinger » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:55 pm

Waves-bashing, count me in, where do I sign?

I stopped using them as soon as they introduced the WUP. I used to love the renaissnace compressor, soooo glad I never forked out for one of the more expensive bundles.
stinkfinger
Regular

Postby JamesSimpson » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:46 am

stinkfinger wrote:Waves-bashing, count me in, where do I sign?

I stopped using them as soon as they introduced the WUP. I used to love the renaissnace compressor, soooo glad I never forked out for one of the more expensive bundles.

That's exactly the attitude a lot of people on many forums, not just this one take,

State that they hate such n such a company. Go on to say they used to love a product they did once, go on to say they never wanted to pay for some of that companies high end stuff, and end up saying that they did [ ****** ] up once so they are never going to buy stuff ever again.

Don't get me wrong, some companies do some bad things they lose customers, however i do tire of needless bad press when a company takes steps to right previous wrongs...
JamesSimpson
Frequent Poster
Squarehead Jam Jar Facebook Jam Jar

Postby johnny h » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:53 am

JamesSimpson wrote:
stinkfinger wrote:Waves-bashing, count me in, where do I sign?

That's exactly the attitude a lot of people on many forums, not just this one take,

State that they hate such n such a company. Go on to say they used to love a product they did once, go on to say they never wanted to pay for some of that companies high end stuff, and end up saying that they did [ ****** ] up once so they are never going to buy stuff ever again.

Don't get me wrong, some companies do some bad things they lose customers, however i do tire of needless bad press when a company takes steps to right previous wrongs...

Yes I kind of agree with you, despite the fact that i've been waves bashing myself!

As for your earlier comments about the newer plugins, I've tried the SSL which was okay, not life changing or anything. I've got a UAD card so I've never been tempted to try the Fairchild or Pultec - are Waves emulations superior to UAD's?
johnny h
Jedi Poster

Postby JamesSimpson » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:59 am

Afraid i've never been able to try the UAD's I rather like the waves SSL myself, really comes together when using lots of instances to glue things together, imparts some sort of pleasing sound to my ears. I don't own the fairchilds but i demo'd them and found them great, couldn't afford all the plug ins i want though haha.
JamesSimpson
Frequent Poster

Postby Bob Bickerton » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:29 am

JamesSimpson wrote:State that they hate such n such a company. Go on to say they used to love a product they did once, go on to say they never wanted to pay for some of that companies high end stuff, and end up saying that they did [ ****** ] up once so they are never going to buy stuff ever again.

This is getting tiresome but let me say:

Waves is the only company I criticize like this and I'm very consistent in my criticism.

I did buy some 'high-end' stuff from them including two suites, including the mastering one.

They haven't taken steps to right the wrong of WUP - it still exists!

Had they had a different policy re WUP I probably would have bought many more thousands of dollars of plug-ins from them.

My advice to people about to buy into plug-in suites is to avoid Waves because I believe their WUP scheme is extortionate.

My advice to current users is to do yourselves a favour, stop defending Waves, and lobby them to change their policy!

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Jedi Poster
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby MarcusH » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:41 am

Can I ask - is WUP wrong in principle or is it the actual prices that they've set? I mean if it was capped at $50 a year would people still be annoyed?

Yes if I'd bought say stuff like Mercury Native for $9,800, then Waves' rather self-satisfied press release, graciously capping my contribution at $200 p.a. would indeed have me seething. :madas: But if they had wanted $50 a year for the same products, it might not bother me.
MarcusH
Regular

You live. You learn.

Postby James Perrett » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:30 am

I think the whole Ban Piracy episode was shameful and they should realise that entrapping potential customers and then prosecuting them isn't going to win any friends. I own a few of their plug-ins and I was thinking of buying more but I'm now going for alternatives as a matter of policy. I don't want to support a company that treats their potential customers as criminals.

Cheers

James.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby JamesSimpson » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:33 pm

All you have to do if you don't like it though is not buy their products which as you say you do.

So if your not buying its no longer a problem for you and no longer a moan, for those of us who need these plugins as a matter of course, any cap on update fee's is welcome.

Essentially what i'm trying to say is people who don't even use or own waves products seem to bitch and moan continuously like waves come knocking at their door bending them over their mixing desk and scream at them to buy their plugins.

Waves have a place, as do UAD, URS, Sonnox, TC, IK multimedia, etcccc
JamesSimpson
Frequent Poster

Postby Tui » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:16 pm

JamesSimpson wrote:

Waves have a place

They sure do - one that's been especially reserved for them:

:D
Tui
Frequent Poster

Postby MarcusH » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:01 pm

James Perrett wrote:I think the whole Ban Piracy episode was shameful...

Yes - I heard of a case where according to one studio, the Ban Piracy 'spies' phoned up, offering work and asking if they had Waves software. In desperation for the business, the studio said 'Yes' then downloaded demo versions. Then the Ban Piracy 'spies' visited the studio, saw the demo software and basically said 'You're Nicked'.

I cannot verify if this story is true - but the point is that if Waves had built more of a reputation for straight dealing, then stories such as this would have much less credence.
MarcusH
Regular

You live. You learn.

Postby stinkfinger » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:26 pm

JamesSimpson wrote:...Don't get me wrong, some companies do some bad things they lose customers, however i do tire of needless bad press when a company takes steps to right previous wrongs...

That's business, nay life! It doesn't matter how many good things you do you will always be remembered for the one gaff, the paying public are a fickle bunch with selective memories.

But in any case they haven't reverted the WUP so your point is redundant.
stinkfinger
Regular

Postby stinkfinger » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:32 pm

JamesSimpson wrote:Essentially what i'm trying to say is people who don't even use or own waves products seem to bitch and moan continuously like waves come knocking at their door bending them over their mixing desk and scream at them to buy their plugins.

I hope that is not aimed at me? I was happily using a Waves product until they introduced their scandalous WUP policy, and as such in my opinion I have paid for the right to bitch and moan and will darn well continue to do so whenever the opportiunity arises and I have the time and inclination on my hands to do so.
stinkfinger
Regular

Postby JamesSimpson » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:21 pm

Nevermind then
JamesSimpson
Frequent Poster

Postby ken long » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:26 pm

JamesSimpson wrote:Essentially what i'm trying to say is people who don't even use or own waves products seem to bitch and moan continuously like waves come knocking at their door bending them over their mixing desk and scream at them to buy their plugins.

If they did that just once a year as part of the WUP, I'd definitely keep updating. :D

ken
ken long
Frequent Poster (Level2)
I'm All Ears.

PreviousNext