You are here

Lexicon PCM Native

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Lexicon PCM Native

Postby Jack Ruston » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:40 pm

I'm the same: I don't touch my convolution reverbs anymore. I haven't done for about a year now. I just can't seem to feel any love for them. I just can seem to get any sense of distance from them. But that might be just the way I work.

J
Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby jrbcm » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:07 am

Jack Ruston wrote:I'm the same: I don't touch my convolution reverbs anymore. I haven't done for about a year now. I just can't seem to feel any love for them. I just can seem to get any sense of distance from them. But that might be just the way I work.

J

That's exactly what I find. Can't send things back in the mix properly. Funnily enough, my old Vesta Fire rv2 and rv3 spring reverbs do that superbly...
jrbcm
Regular

Postby Bob Bickerton » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:07 am

Interesting views on convolution reverbs.

I still find them useful if I've recorded say a live chamber music group or orchestra and need to add a little room sound, I think I can achieve a more realistic space that way.

But for contemporary 'studio' work I'll go to the UAD EMT stuff, I guess because that's what we're used to hearing. Never really got into using convolution to recreate plates, just used it to recreate 'real' acoustic spaces.

Probably hold off until UAD release a Lexicon emulation and then compare with the native stuff.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Jedi Poster
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby . . . Delete This User . . . » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:16 am

Jack, the way to get distance from a convolution verb is to use the right balance of impulses. not just one.

if you take a look at some of the details with some of the altiverb impulses, you'll find some of them have multiple impulses of the same room, with different mic and source positions...

set up a couple or three sends, load up appropriate impulses of different depth and width, and then balance the send levels to give the desired depth of image (allied with appropriate micro-panning of such sources as need it, and tonal coloration to fulfill the required psychoacoustic parameters for a coherently perceived depth.

this works really well, BUT , takes careful setting up, and is regrettably limited by the number of such impulses around.... but a bit of a hunt can turn some more up....

using just one impulse is by definition going to be of limited success creating a fully realistic 3d sound stage image... because the impulse is created by recording one (or possibly 2) source, in one position from one other (or possibly 2) position...

while true stereo can be managed with one impulse, the sense of depth you find lacking, is the shortcoming... it can;t be done . unless you approach it along the lines i just described.
. . . Delete This User . . .
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Dave B » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:24 am

I thought Jack didn't use convolution reverbs as he owns a Bricasti now and doesn't sully himself with anything less .....

:D

Still think that the bundle is a little over priced. The cost was the big limiting factor against going out and getting the PCM pack (cos I is skint innit), and while the LXPs are more attractive, they aren't quite at the 'impulse buy' price level yet. (for me anyway)

But I can see myself getting them. And then looking at my Powercore and thinking strange 'do I really need this now' type thoughts...
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby . . . Delete This User . . . » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:41 am

if you have those thoughts, you know where it can come.... happily...

i think the price is fair enough really., for the quality of reverb on tap....

it's a helluva lot cheaper than buying enough hardware units to do the same simultaneous number of reverbs that a decently quick machine can handle..

i'd still like the hardware though. ;)
. . . Delete This User . . .
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Previous