You are here

Cutting an audio book into smaller files and silence detection

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Cutting an audio book into smaller files and silence detection

Postby Notatech » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:30 am

Hi everybody.

I just got the job to master an audio book, and the specifications call for me to cut every chapter (sound file) into around 4 minute parts, I tried a tool that cuts exactly every four minutes, but that left a small but noticeable click when it cut in the middle of a word.

Does anyone know of a tool that can cut to an approximate length but detect silence so it does not cut words?
Notatech

Re: Cutting an audio book into smaller files and silence detection

Postby James Perrett » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:59 am

I'd take a look at CDWave. For CD's you need to cut on a frame boundary in order to avoid glitches - CDWave will do this automatically.

Cheers

James.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Notatech » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:57 am

Works like a charm , just what I was looking for. Thanks alot!
Notatech

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:59 am

Presuming the idea of the subdividing the chapters is to make it easier for listeners to locate their way through the recording, then this subdivision is something you really need to do by ear otherwise they won't make any kind of editorial sense.

Sure, it's a tedious task, but an important one to get right and any decent DAW would make it a fairly painless exercise to do.

I'd load up each chapter in turn, set the screen view to show a 5 minute window, and starting with the beginning of the file screen left, play the section screen right looking for a sensible edit point. Once the edit has been made, scroll that to screen left and repeat the process until you reach the end of the chapter.

Whether you need to create a physical edit inthe EDL or just drop in a new track ID marker dodesn't make any difference to the process, and any decent software will ensure that track markers lodate to CD frame boundaries anyway.

Hugh
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby James Perrett » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:08 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Sure, it's a tedious task, but an important one to get right and any decent DAW would make it a fairly painless exercise to do.

I find CDWave is by far the fastest software for doing this, whether you want to place markers manually or automatically. Just load your file, click on the play button and then place your cursor in the overview window roughly where you want the track mark. You can then see the audio in the detail window and click where you think the track start should be to hear it instantly. If it sounds wrong then click a different place in the detail window. When it sounds right press S and move to the next track.

It takes much longer to describe than it does to mark track starts for a whole CD.

Cheers

James.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page