You are here

Flamenco guitar anyone?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Flamenco guitar anyone?

Postby tijean » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:27 pm

Being a big fan of Ojos de Brujo (flamenco-funk band from Barcelona) I am on the look out for a new flamenco guitar. I was wondering whether perhaps someone here could provide me with some relevant tips such as: guitar brand, wood types, pickup or microphone, best types of amplification, prices, etc... anything really.

I'm very new to Flamenco guitar - I'm in for any kind of information which can help me along.

Olé!
tijean
New here

Re: Flamenco guitar anyone?

Postby topten » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:57 pm

I played a Camps SP-6 in a shop the other day. It sang. €750 and to my ears sounded better than ones costing over €2000. Made in the UK by a spanish head.
Well worth checking out.
topten
Regular

Postby JayH » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:08 pm

Hi tijean, and welcome to the forum!

I play flamenco guitar, it's been a lifelong passion of mine but I've only recently decided to actually buy one.

I chose a Burguet 2F, but other brands such as Conde Hermanos, Alhambra or Bernabé are also very popular.

Have a look at my favorite guitar shop in The Hague: Casa Benelly...in the English section you'll be able to read about the characteristics of all the above brands.

If you really plan to buy one, expect to pay at least €1000...in my opinion, anything cheaper just doesn't have the power and percussive edge that is so characteristic to flamenco.

Furthermore, take some lessons! You'll need some specific skills when playing flamenco ( rasgueado, picado, alzapúa and many more). Google for flamenco technique and you'll be able to find some basic online lessons.

Finally, if you like Ojos de Brujo, you might also enjoy Vicente Amigo, Tomatito and of course Paco de Lucía...and for something a bit off-track listen to Rodrigo y Gabriela...on YouTube, Gabriela gives some cool lessons in technique...check it out!

Good luck!

JH
JayH
Poster

Postby tijean » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:32 am

Hey JayH!

How cool, you're from Holland! Me too, I live in Amsterdam!

... And, I've also let my hands fall upon a Burguet - I can't remember which model - but it played and sounded amazing! Very confortable and just what I really want.... perhaps some day!

Right now I'm playing some on a cheap korean thing, just to learn the rudimental techniques which are so many and very demanding at this time. At some point I shall definitely need some kind of coaching or playing partner.

I watched a few of the Rodriguo y Gabriela video's as you had pointed out - thanks again. I had never heard of them and was pleasantly surprised - Do you happen to know what brand their guitars are - they seem to be amplification-ready. I heard Burguet also has a cut-away and built-in microphone option(s) on special order.

Thanks for the tips on the learning process, and essential listening - I'll check out some of these guys. I saw Tomatito here in town last year playing with Michel Camilo - they were incredibly good!

Ojos de Brujo are doing a gig here in Amsterdam in Paradiso, November 6th - and I'm going!

Thanks for the reply and cheers,

TJ
tijean
New here

Postby JayH » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:06 am

Hey TJ!

Well, if you live in Amsterdam, than you must know Guitarra Buena, a guitar shop in the Reestraat. They have some pretty amazing instruments there! It seems to be a bit more expensive than Casa Benelly in The Hague though (my Burguet 2F was €50 cheaper!) and it seems like Casa Benelly has more to choose from.

I was also there when Tomatito played with Michel Camilo, incredible stuff, eh?

If you liked Rodrigo y Gabriela, you might want to check them out in the Melkweg on December 1st.

Good luck with choosing an instrument, let me know what you decided upon!

Cheers!

JH
JayH
Poster

Re: Flamenco guitar anyone? (Jay)

Postby tijean » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:43 am

Hello Jay,

It's been a while but I wanted to let you know I have finally decided on a guitar and have just purchased it - at Casa Benelly like you had suggested.

I baught the Alhambra 7Fc after having tried various others by Sanchis, Burguet and Alhambra. I did especially like the Burquet 2F but the "deal" was more advantageous with the Alhambra, if you know what I mean.

Anyway I am still a novice at playing Flamenco guitar and am doing my best to come to grasp with the Buleria, Alegria and the Soleares, let alone all the other styles of the idiom.

Doing my inquiries I came upon this dedicated flamenco-forum called "foroflamenco" which I'm sure you know about or perhaps already contribute to:

http://www.foroflamenco.com/foroflamenco_home.asp

and this wonderful flamenco radio station:

http://www.flamencoradio.net/

All in all enough to stay informed and inspired and thanks Jay for the great tip about Casa Benelly! Now, also MY favorite store!

TJ.
tijean
New here

Postby DAN » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:24 pm

I second the Camps.

I've got one - the set-up is lovely. Really low action and a bright percussive tone. Cost me about £700. Its got a cutaway and a Fishman preamp.

Dan
DAN
Regular

Postby Andy5 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:34 pm

I went for a Joan Cashimira 56E, I have to admit that I'm a hopeless flamenco player and I use the guitar for classical style but I prefer the fuller sound of the flamenco instruments.

The Cashimira was a real find and a very unusual guitar (walnut back & sides) and I'd recommend having a try if you can find one.
Andy5
Poster