You are here

Martin Walker, just tried "your" controler

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: Martin Walker, just tried "your" controler

Postby electrotimba » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:59 pm

olafmol wrote:how can these controllers be so cheap??????
Why the others rip us off ? The Nikes that cost 5$ to make are sold for 155, 50 cent T shirt sold for 20$,...... Everybody manufactures in China where people work for few bucks a month. Simply many companies sell you junk quality for "gold" price like M audio. You get Neumann you know what you pay for, get chinese one you are mostly ripped off the actual manufacturer getting little of the retail price, the biggest rip off when the stuff is packed in the first world (Australia ? we all know these mics!) when in reality were made in China or whatever other cheap place.
electrotimba
Regular

Postby olafmol » Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:35 pm

electrotimba wrote:
olafmol wrote:how can these controllers be so cheap??????
Why the others rip us off ? The Nikes that cost 5$ to make are sold for 155, 50 cent T shirt sold for 20$,...... Everybody manufactures in China where people work for few bucks a month. Simply many companies sell you junk quality for "gold" price like M audio. You get Neumann you know what you pay for, get chinese one you are mostly ripped off the actual manufacturer getting little of the retail price, the biggest rip off when the stuff is packed in the first world (Australia ? we all know these mics!) when in reality were made in China or whatever other cheap place.

ok......what about the quality control? is it up to par?

Olaf
olafmol
New here

Postby Bubble » Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:43 pm

Hi Olaf

The best way to answer your question would be to say wait until you've tried one yourself. If you want a cheap, plastic, flimsy controller keyboard (that seems to be all you can get nowadays) then this is not the one for you, if you're looking for a solid metal cased keyboard with good features, looks, and touch, and at the aforementioned great price, then you're in luck! You should see them in the shops in the UK within the next few weeks.

Regards
Bryan Borcherds
www.arbitermt.co.uk
Bubble
New here

Postby Loudbox » Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:47 pm

Who is stocking them? the UK retailer section doesn't seem to be working on the site.
Loudbox
Poster

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:56 pm

Andertons, Turnkey and branches of DV are currently on the list. More dealers will be added as they are appointed.

The dealer list seems to be working fine from here, let me know if you still can't access it.

Thanks

Postby olafmol » Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:40 pm

what about the Netherlands?
olafmol
New here

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:11 pm

We only handle distribution for the UK.

The distributor for the Netherlands is listed as:

http://www.mafico.com/

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:08 pm

Thanks for the web page Kevin - as everyone can now see from the new photos, those red end cheeks are rather more desirable than many of us previously thought.

Where's my SOS review unit then? ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:07 pm

Thanks Martin. I do think the UF Series look a lot better in the flesh than the original photos - I hope the new pictures we have taken help to show this.

I always thought the best looking keyboards ever were the Wavestation (for it's dark sleek expensive looks) and the Jupiter 8 for just being plain sexy! Out of interest, I tried sitting the UF6 on a keyboard stand next to both of these beauties and I have to say that the UF falls somewhere between the two. The red end cheeks stand out like the Jupiter's brightly coloured buttons and the brushed aluminium panel is reminiscent of the Wavestation. So overall quite good looking - but even I have to admit they are not quite as sexy as a JP8...... close though... ;-)

As for your review unit Martin, it's sitting quite comfortably in my studio! No, not really - we only have pre-production models at the moment, but Bryan will ensure the first production model makes it's way to you when the shipment arrives.

Many Thanks, Kevin
http://www.arbitermt.co.uk/redcheeks

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:33 pm

Those photos do indeed look more sexy in the flesh Kevin, although I think we'd better stay calm, or people will begin to think we're odd getting excited about a keyboard ;) Looking for ward to production units arriving shortly then

I still like the sleek black looks of my Korg M1 though.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:43 pm

M1 Martin? Hmmm... I think i'd rather get into bed with a DX7... err.. I mean ... erm...

Don't worry - i'm sure people wont think we really get excited by keyboards. They'll know we're only having an innocent discussion about the aesthetics of the tools of our trade. ;)

Postby electrotimba » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:26 pm

I also feel M1 is the most elegant, WS comes 2nd.
electrotimba
Regular

Postby Jez Corbett » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:35 pm

Any chance of getting some info on the factory/EPZ where they are produced, in particular the working conditions and rates of pay received by the people making these devices?
Jez Corbett
Frequent Poster

Postby Psyched » Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:29 pm

I have to have one of these, as according to the website it's omnipotent.
Psyched

Postby redwedge » Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:43 am

This looks really good, but I've got to ask the obvious question: apart from the inclusion of aftertouch and metal casing, how does it compare to the M-Audio Keystation 88 Pro? I mean in the feel, latency and consistent velocity response departments?

Because they would seem to be very direct competitors...

M
redwedge

PreviousNext