You are here

Martin Walker, just tried "your" controler

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Martin Walker, just tried "your" controler

Postby electrotimba » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:14 pm

I remember Martin talking about real keys with aftertouch, USB etc I was by an audio company today, regarding something else and luckily mentioned what I miss in available controllers, "Come and see- they said" and saw the new 88 keys, hammer action, aftertouch,aluminium, modular design - there will be possibilities for FW card, sound modules ( supposedly Ob....m) They didnt let me take one ( tried my best, plastic and bills but NO), these were all samples for various european distributors. The keys feel good, there are synth action version also nice, like Motif or Triton if not better. First USB keyboard (except new Virus) that does not feel , look like a toy.
I was to buy Novation 61 but will wait till April to get 88 for studio and 61 or 49 for gigs. They will be cheaper then Novation and M audio while much better made. Faders are like in Kontrol 49 but bigger, the transport buttons are big solid like in Roland VS. I remember seeing it here on the forum the weird negative like keyboard ( keys colors reversed) it is the same thing OCE...OME or something like that, the "negative" version stays prototype the real ones comes in black with red sides which will be replaced with wood. So I will stay patiently with my M1 till April, so glad somebody got it right and thanks chairman Mao it will be cheap (61 synth action under 300 Euro and 88 hammer act under 500)
electrotimba
Regular

Re: Martin Walker, just tried "your" controler

Postby trouty » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:34 pm

Dude, this sounds interesting but you're talking in jive.

What's the spec of the unit & anticipated price...any hint of a name?
trouty
New here

Postby electrotimba » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:39 pm

Ok I found it http://www.cme-pro.com/product.html not OME it is CME, remember seeing this here a while ago thinking cannot be true. Well it is really good, keys work well no noise, perhaps better then top models of Korg and Yamaha and way ahead of all the USB controllers that we know or Fatars. I swear tried all I could to get one of them home. The modular concept is great that is why I will probably get 88 and a smaller one, then swap the modules as I might need. The funny thing is that I was to go to get to a shop to buy a controller after that meeting, naturaly I did not, can wait 6 weeks.
electrotimba
Regular

Postby Scottdru » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:34 am

Looks pretty nifty . . . especially if the quality is as good as you say, and at those prices. The picture of the 88 on the website looks as though there is a faint outline of a computer keyboard . . . so maybe that will be one of the module options . . . and what is that other thing? Is that some kind of audio metering for your sequencer, or is it some kind of "drawbars" indicator type thing?
Scottdru
Frequent Poster
Scott --Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

Postby electrotimba » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:01 am

"Chinese" fancieness! I noticed that immediately thinking its like touch keyboard, no it is nothing "place for keeping your keyboard on the keyboard" The practical ideas come from the european prtners French and Germans who are well in the pro game ( distributors of some serious
audio) they were all doing one well known company that got swallowed by another and none wanted to deal with them ( good move I hate that company too) so they joined with the Chinese who as we know are ready and able to do anything. Prices there are so different, for example they may use real wood instead of the red sides, which I told them is a good idea, practically at no extra cost. Drawbars ? could be used for that, just nine assignable faders, they are similar to those of korgs Kontrol 49, I like that they are not sticking out like on Novation and every other controller. Well I didnt play it hooked up, but I like the feel a lot, please note I am not real pianist
electrotimba
Regular

Postby Scottdru » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:49 am

As to the computer keyboard thing, I was to thinking, rather, that it is there to show an option of installing a computer keyboard in that spot at a later time.

As to the drawbar thing, I wasn't referring to the faders, but rather the "bars of light" that start at about E-flat above middle C and go up almost and octave to D-flat. ;) What the hell is that? What does it do? 8-)

Scottdru
Frequent Poster
Scott --Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

Postby electrotimba » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:46 am

It is nothing, chinese fanciness, like the painted keyboard,absolutely useless. OK it is not Bauhaus or Pinifarina design, could be better but it is not uglier then the rest of industry
electrotimba
Regular

Postby leeturne » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:45 am

Aftertouch on a 88 note (!) , if it's poly aftertouch I'll beat their door down with my Fatar.
leeturne

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:45 pm

electrotimba - many, many thanks for committing my requirements to memory ;)

Yes, that does indeed look good - 88keys, aftertouch, sustain and volume pedal inputs, eight assignable knobs and nine assignable sliders, six sequencer transport controls, and even a breath controller input!!

It's a shame though that what looks like a joystick turns out to be a 'Data Dial' used to select controller or program numbers, transpose & octave values, MIDI channel, and so on, rather than an X/Y expression controller.

However, apart from that (and of course my dream controller would also have a ribbon controller along the top for adding 'real' vibrato, pitch bends, and hammer-ons to string parts), it looks wonderful for the price if the action's as good as you say.

I'll contact SOS immediately to see if I can review it when it's finally launched :bouncy:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:37 pm

Just spoken to the UK distributor, and heard the UK prices, and the range sounds even better value for money! (until this is official it might be unfair for me to publish details, but I will add a link to the UK details as soon as they are added to the existing web site.

They have even volunteered to pass on my request for joystick and ribbon controller module to the Chinese manufacturers for future consideration!

This might finally be the one that makes me blow the dust off my credit card ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby PWGLE » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:49 pm

Tempting I've been in the market for a decent weighted controller keyboard for years now....

They all feel a bit naff, just wonder what this will be like!
PWGLE
Regular

Postby trouty » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:29 am

They've got to sort out that colour scheme cos it blows.

It hurts my eyes & it's so loud I'll need to upgrade my active monitors to compete.
trouty
New here

Postby Gelled_Fringe » Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:47 pm

while they are calming down the paint job they can sort that website out and hire a professional copywriter...sheesh the damage these companies do with their "nickel and dime" approach

this would actually make me doubt their integrity as regards product reliability
Gelled_Fringe
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:21 pm

Why not reserve judgement until we've all managed to try the controller?

If I end up buying one I'll have to re-spray those end cheeks though :roll:

Martin
Martin Walker

New CME Keyboards

Postby Bubble » Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:04 pm

Hey Martin / chaps

Here's the info you have been waiting for regarding the CME keyboards:

There are 4 models available:
UF8 (88 note) - UK retail 429.99 inc VAT
UF7 (76 note) - UK retail 269.99 inc VAT
UF6 (61 note) - UK retail 229.99 inc VAT
UF5 (49 note) - UK retail 169.99 inc VAT

Stock should be with us in around 4 weeks.
More info will appear at www.arbitermt.co.uk shortly.

Bubble
New here

Next