You are here

Is there any budget friendly semi acoustic guitar on the market?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Is there any budget friendly semi acoustic guitar on the market?

Postby Mike L » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:36 pm

I am thinking of buying a semi-acoustic guitar. I don't want to spend a lot, say up to 250£ (however price tag below 200£ would be the perfect one). I have looked at Ibanez and Washburn guitars and they look quite appealing to me.

I need it for studio recording, I play wide range of styles depending on the client, in-built tuner is an advantage, I am used to play classical guitar so wider flat fret helps in my case (have big hands :) ).

With massive internet guitar market and no expereince I would be grateful for any advice in this matter.

Thanks in adavnce.
Mike L
Regular
Dance&Club Myspace Profile

Re: Is there any budget friendly semi acoustic guitar on the market?

Postby Steve Hill » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Where are you - how easy is it to get to a decent shop to try a few out?

There are loads of good guitars around for £250... probably 500 different models! But you won't thank me for saying "buy Brand X" if it does not suit you.

You can however be very confident that with modern manufacturing technology you'll get a very good, playable guitar for your budget. I'm not so sure about a wide fretboard on an electric though... like you, my preferred instrument is a classical guitar.

But I learned decades ago that electrics are different, and I was going to have to change my style because they were in no hurry to change theirs!

Having said I wouldn't recommend a single guitar, the Epiphone Dot is worth trying out...
Steve Hill
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Korff » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:09 pm

Limited experience of semi-acoustics notwithstanding...

We reviewed an Antoria Detroit 335 copy a few months ago in Performing Musician (I do like to try out the guitars that come to the office for review!), and I thought it was rather nice — only played it acoustically though, so can't vouch for its amped-up sound. Fairly chunky neck & fretboard as well, so you might want to put that one on your list of axes to try. It retails a bit over your budget (£349), but if you shop around you may be able to get it a bit cheaper...

HTH

Chris
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Bunk » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:23 pm

I've got a Yamaha APX7A and I can't recommend it highly enough. I don't think they make that model any more but I'd always recommend Yamaha's electro-acoustics and they'll certainly have one within your budget.
I can't comment on the wider necks I'm afraid - the beauty of the Yamaha I've got is that it's similar to an electric's neck, low action, and is very comfortable to play.
Also recommend Takamines, again should be some within your budget.
One point though - you say you're using it for studio work; does that mean you're recording direct in to whatever your recording medium is, or are you using a mic? If it's the latter, personally I'd go for a standard acoustic as electro's plugged in to record don't sound as good as they do "live"; my Yamaha put through a PA is beautiful. Plugged into my recording workstation just doesn't do it justice. My opinion, mind.
The Bunk
Frequent Poster
2 answers; 799 questions and about 58 "Mornington Crescent" posts.

Postby Parker Fly » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:35 pm

Lukianowicz wrote:I am thinking of buying a semi-acoustic guitar. I don't want to spend a lot, say up to 250£ (however price tag below 200£ would be the perfect one). I have looked at Ibanez and Washburn guitars and they look quite appealing to me.

The Yamaha and Takamine electro's (sub £500) sound very thin and bright to me, I'd never play one when you could buy a nice Simon & Patrick or Seagull and fit a decent pre-amp to it and have something that sounded good plugged/unplugged.

Don't forget, most people record an acoustic with an external/ambient mic too, so the unplugged sound is very important. You'd only real DI if you were playing live or you were trying to lay a demo track down, it'd never be good enough for a decent recorded track.

That's only my advice.
Parker Fly
Regular