You are here

Manufacturers offering Educational Discounts

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Manufacturers offering Educational Discounts

Postby Ken P » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:40 am

I study with the OU and lately I've been getting back in to my music after a break for family. As an OU student I qualify for educational pricing and have spotted some really good deals on Ableton and Sonnox for students. I was wondering if anyone else had come across particularly good discounts?

Ableton Live Suite - 40% off
Sonnox plug-ins - 50% off
Ken P
Regular

Re: Manufacturers offering Educational Discounts

Postby Neokoenig » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:42 am

Well, there's the magical 20% apple discount on iMacs/laptops etc, but you need to be on a actual university network to access it. I guess with the Open University you can't get that? (try accessing http://apple.procureweb.ac.uk)
Neokoenig
Regular

Postby molecular » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:18 am

Fabfilter offer a hefty educational discount.

Propellerheads also sell educational licenses to teach with - I'm not sure about students.

And Apple's has always been negotiable in my experience. I have bought two computers from them with an educational discount in the past, as much of my work is as a teacher. I am freelance though, so I went into the apple store with some purchase orders from schools as proof of work and I got 10% off the hardware, plus a full 30% off the (very useful in the end) applecare plan.

H.
molecular
Frequent Poster
Anto mo Ninja, Watashi mo Ninja http://www.hectormacinnes.com

Postby Tony O'Shea » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:06 pm

Not sure if they still do this but Flux used to offer upto 50% as their educational discount on some of their vsts.

Best,
Tony
Tony O'Shea
Regular
Senior mastering engineer - MiroMastering
www.miromastering.com

Postby Pete Kaine » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:26 pm

Steinberg (cubase) is 40% / 50% and I'm sure most of the software (DAW) guys have some kind of educational edition at a worthwhile discount and I wouldn't be suprised if a number of plug in firms do too. It makes sense for them to sell it through as a perceived loss leader as most people tend to stick with what they know well, so when better to get in there than when people are first learning it all.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby Bossman » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:48 pm

Cubase
Wavelab
Logic (pre App store, I'm not sure how it works now - ask at an apple store, or phone)
Pro Tools
Sibelius

..are all the ones I know of for software

as has been said already, Apple offer discount for education.. you can use your student/staff ID card in the shop - you only need to be on a university network to be able to use, and get university discount at, the online apple store.. I don't think you get discount on phones/ipads but most other Apple hardware gets discounted for education.

Apple are the only company I'm aware of that offer any education discount on hardware.. but a lot of software products are discounted for education.
Bossman
Frequent Poster

Postby Folderol » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:51 pm

Pete Kaine wrote:It makes sense for them to sell it through as a perceived loss leader as most people tend to stick with what they know well, so when better to get in there than when people are first learning it all.
It's this that leaves me somewhat conflicted.

While I want youngsters to be able to use as wide a range of musical instruments and tools as possible, if they can only afford to get the stuff that's being pushed the hardest - with the cynical intention of getting them hooked - that's quite wrong.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby DoItAgain » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:00 am

I don't recall the exact figures but the educational discount on Adobe products was pretty impressive when I bought my copy of Audition a few years ago. May have changed since then though..
DoItAgain
Regular

Postby Kevin Nolan » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:31 am

EastWest offer an educational discount on all of their sample libraries but you have to be studying music - being a student in general doesn't apply.

Cycling 74 also offer discounts on all of their products.
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster
Kevin Nolan,KNECT.
http://www.knect.ie

Postby SonarworksKat » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:41 pm

Sonarworks are offering up to 50% off to their products. More information can be found here https://www.sonarworks.com/education
SonarworksKat

Postby Zukan » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:41 am

I think most companies nowadays offer edu discounts. My students all get edu discounts from specific manufacturers that I deal with and they are always both accommodating and generous. It all helps.
Zukan

Postby ben_nugenaudio » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:21 pm

NUGEN Audio offers 50% discounts for education institutions, faculty members and students. Email support (at) nugenaudio.com for more info :D

Ben
ben_nugenaudio

Postby Zukan » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:27 pm

ben_nugenaudio wrote:NUGEN Audio offers 50% discounts for education institutions, faculty members and students. Email support (at) nugenaudio.com for more info :D

Ben

It's a shame you don't provide this for private tutors. I would love to send my students to your site to buy tons of goodies as I rate and use your products.
Zukan

Postby wireman » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:39 pm

Large institutions/companies with MIcrosoft licenses often have the right for their students or employees to use those products for free, in fact the download is directly available from O365.

I think the right to use the products (Destktop Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.) only lasts while you are a student/employee.
wireman
Frequent Poster

Postby ben_nugenaudio » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:23 am

Zukan wrote:
ben_nugenaudio wrote:NUGEN Audio offers 50% discounts for education institutions, faculty members and students. Email support (at) nugenaudio.com for more info :D

Ben

It's a shame you don't provide this for private tutors. I would love to send my students to your site to buy tons of goodies as I rate and use your products.

Feel free to email support (at) nugenaudio.com - they might be able to help you out!
ben_nugenaudio

Next