You are here

Sound Control + Turnkey go into administration...

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Sound Control + Turnkey go into administration...

Postby Seaforth » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:51 pm

Monobass wrote:
Seaforth wrote:... I get the impression their system just can't handle the amount of products they carry.

Oh, that's a shame. Perhaps I've just been lucky so far then. Sounds like they're already suffering from a touch of "aagghh - it's all going too fast" - itis then. Let's hope they manage to keep their feet on the ground through all this disruption.
Seaforth
Regular

Postby Tomadvent » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:53 pm

My keyboard playing accountant tells me that it wouldn't "necessarily" because with the same basic directors, and uncertainty what security has been offered to fund the huge Bank of Scotland loan - even apparently solvent sub=companies could be taken down.

So in a recent group of local building companies it was companies a and b which went into administration - and subsequently clear that the premises owned by company c had been used as bank security by the shared directors so company c went as well.

As it is according to the Company information it is the Holdings company (ie the group company) which has gone into liquidation.

In terms of purchases unless you are in the shop and get the product then I would be cautious about placing an order on line.
Tomadvent
Poster

Postby philetaylor » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:11 pm

As I have a companies house direct account I just had a look and their latest filed accounts are only up to April 2006 and show a 2M loss for that year and 1.1M the year before.

As of then, the group comprised of:

Sound Control Modern Music Stores Limited
Media Tools Holding Limited
Greenwood Leisure Limited (formerlly Academy of Sound and Carlsbro Sound Centres (Derby/Leicester) Ltd.

As their accounts are overdue there isn't much newer information, one interesting thing is that 3 directors resigned on 09/02/08, Raymond Miller and Alan Gavin who both held 45000 shares. Also Grahame Burgess who was their chartered management accountant and holder of 22143 shares resigned.

Cheers

Phil
philetaylor

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:17 pm

A bit sad but I had mixed experiences with them. One time they advertised a piece of software, took money from me and then failed to inform me it was discontinued.

Another time (I reported on this board) they told me the Rode NTK was in stock, my brother went to collect it, when he arrived they told him it was discontinued (incorrectly as it turns out).

Another recent experience - phoned up about the Line 6 Gearbox Silver, they said it was in stock, I asked them to double check (knowing what they're like) and lo and behold it wasn't. Phoned up Digital Village and it was in my hands the next day.

On the other hand some staff have gone out of their way to be really helpful and given some great advice.

The last time I went in there was to get a Rode NT2000 - I noticed the back area where all the synths and monitors were was all ripped out and I thought it was to refurbish the place.

I'd say overall due to their bad service they've probably lost about £500 of my business over the years - not a massively efficient operation in my experience.

Postby desmond » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:30 pm

It's a shame - every time I went into Sound Control in London the people I dealt with were helpful, intelligent, fairly clued up, and nice chaps.

As for Turnkey, they never lived up to the service they gave when they were Soho Soundhouse in Soho Square (they were excellent back then) and I always found going into Turnkey a rather depressing experience...

But it's bad news for the industry as a whole.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Brian Moynihan » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:35 pm

Its a shame I know a few guys who work there. I'm not surprised though, you can only go so long selling nothing but Behringer and Roland before people stop shopping there.
Brian Moynihan
Regular

Postby hogberto » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:40 pm

the last time i tried ordering something online it turned out of course that the item wasn't in stock. this was a few months ago.

the guy on the phone apologetically explained that the website couldn't display what was in stock but that they were working on a new one which would.

in the meantime i guess the world simply went off to use websites elsewhere...
hogberto
Regular

Postby Tímo » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:41 pm

Must have a knock-on effect on SOS somewhat, due to the hole created regard advertising revenue? Turnkey were always big (literally) on many-multiple-page-pullouts and stuff. =/
Tímo
Regular
http://Infekted.org ~ Access Virus news & community

Postby SecretSam » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:34 pm

Steve

"There's no way a company like Deloitte wants to be accused of defrauding customers in these situations. They've spent 200 years building up a reputation for honesty and trustworthiness, and they only need to trash it once."

I have two words for you:

"Arthur"

and

"Andersen"

:-)
SecretSam
Frequent Poster
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Postby nathanscribe » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:37 pm

oggyb wrote:Are we certain the Leeds branches are closing? That will be a shame, if so.

I'm over there tomorrow so I can find out. I think the only other place round here is Dolphin's Huddersfield shop, but it's a bit far out. Other than that it's what, Sheffield? I hope they can sort this out, retain a core of usefully spread retail outlets and improve their ordering system.

Seems odd they'd remove the online ordering though, I'd have though that would a cheap way of selling.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby Wonks » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:45 pm

Where would they get their stock from? As previously mentioned in this thread, they have no way of displaying on-line stock levels and their system has previously seemed geared up to just taking all orders and either supplyng from stock or getting a supplier to deliver it at some later date.

With no means of getting stock from suppliers (unless they paid cash up front - and if they had the cash they wouldn't be broke), they would be trading illegally if they sold something they didn't have or couldn't get. So the only choice they have is to keep selling what they physicaly have in stock in the shops and their warehouses. They had to shut the website down.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby mcguirk » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:04 pm

Funny... I emailed their sales people today to get a contact for their education sales people. They replied promptly, with the contact details.
mcguirk
Regular

Postby Armadillo » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:08 pm

Turnkey AND Sound control. That leaves just about no electonic music instrument stores in London. Rose morris are not clued up on DAW stuff at all and the Digital village shop in Acton is so tiny; they never have the goods I want.
Yes, Turnkey staff is also not clued up and are very disorganized but at least they have a shed load of hardware and software synths. I mean, does any other shop in London even know who Native instruments are :headbang:
Armadillo
Poster

Postby comradec » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:10 pm

I guess there will be ramifications for some UK-based music industry manufacturers too. Carillon seem the most obvious example. They produce music computer systems and a range of MIDI controllers, and Sound Control and associates appeared to be their main retail outlet in this country.

I notice that their website appears to be down tonight. A coincidence, I hope.
comradec
Frequent Poster
Steve Cooke http://soundcloud.com/stevecooke

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:15 pm

I doubt it, they were AFAIK owned by Turnkey....

Bye bye Carillion as well I'd imagine.
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby comradec » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:19 pm

That would explain it then.

I wondered why they were so tied into Turnkey and Sound Control.
comradec
Frequent Poster
Steve Cooke http://soundcloud.com/stevecooke

Postby Tomadvent » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:55 pm

Carillon are part of the same group of companies. There are reports around on the MI site that a Norwegian buyer was in place for Sound Control Holdings, but pulled out because of the unprofitability of some of the stores.

There would be nothing to stop them know negotiating with the Administrators for the bits they do want - including Carillon, the profitable stores etc. With the level of debt that SC were carrying and no published accounts since 2006 the whole group would have been a huge risk for any investor - now there is the prospect of something rising from the collapse.

Then they need to sort out the staff knowledge ( sadly often poor), stock control, and customer care which has been of the pace for ages and left them competing with Thomann etc, rather than the better retail stores such as Andertons and Coda.

There were staff around in Sound Control and Turnkey who knew what was happening and what needed doing, but the Directors just kept on growing the company.

There is a moral here for the other growing companies such as Dolphin. Informed service which convinces professional customers is the key - and critically how do you react when things go wrong for a customer - do you make excuses or do you sort it. Studiospares and Andertons etc don't often make mistakes - and when they do they are small enough care and offer personal service to get it sorted.
Tomadvent
Poster

Postby RegressiveRock » Thu May 01, 2008 12:04 am

Well I probably should have guessed when I walked in there around a month ago and found precious little stock on offer and mostly low end stuff at that!

Turnkey, despite their detractors, had some pretty high standards in staff training. I did a secret shopper gig there for mikes and had some great fun popping in with a lavalier and a minidisc hidden about my person testing the level of knowledge of the staffers on some Neumann products. The people on test, whilst they didn't get everything right straight away, checked out well on the whole and had specs up online, discussed ordering information and offered to set up a test session (when you could easily do that for mikes) very quickly.

It's a shame.

Reg
RegressiveRock
Frequent Poster
Smoking Goats
https://www.facebook.com/SmokingGoats

Postby Monobass » Thu May 01, 2008 12:08 am

desmond wrote:But it's bad news for the industry as a whole.

Why? Sure it might be a signifier of the recession but I don't think anyone didn't see that coming of late.

They were a lousy company who did nothing to maintain any kind of good relationship with their customers.

To just assume it's specifically bad news for the industry rather than the economy as a whole is the same as the major record labels crying 'told you so' when some old Dinosaur like EMI goes down.

People with enough money aren't going to stop wanting Moogs and Prophets anymore than they are going to stop wanting Radiohead CDs. There'll be a few months of hard times ahead for those directly involved but it's hardly going to bring the industry down. The sub-prime and buy-to-let mortgages will see to that!
Monobass
Poster

Postby Seye » Thu May 01, 2008 12:16 am

I was until this morning an employee of Sound Control in Salford.

I can probably fill in some details for people and will be happy to provide any info that I know.

So far...

This morning 14 (or possibly 12 - its been a long day!) of the 26 Sound Control stores were closed and the permanently locked. The stock from these stores is apparently being moved to the remaining stores for sorting.

ALL of the staff at these stores were made redundant.

Then at the remaining stores (I'll try to get a list for everyone tomorrow) the staff were randomly selected for redundancy or to stay (I was one of the unlucky ones). Everyone at head office has been made redundant. This apparently totalled 166 staff laid off at the last count.

Before there are any more posts bad mouthing the stores / staff please think about the fact that we're not getting paid the money that we are owed, and as was quoted by a colleague of mine "we're just as pissed off as you are!".
This is not the fault of the shop staff, please dont take any of it out on them. They didnt know this was coming.

Anyway, we were informed that the remaining stores will be open for the next 12 weeks. During this time the administrators will try to find a buyer for the company. If this does not happen the remaining stores will cease trading at the end of this period.

For now the remaining stores will continue to trade existing stock as normally as they can. Feel free to go in if you are concerned. As far as I am aware warranties are with the manufacturer not the shop so they will still be valid (though I'm not entirely sure how)

The main remaining stores (that I can remember) are...

Manchester Salford 0161 877 6262
Leeds East 0113 245 6415
London Oxford Rd (0207) 631 4200
Turnkey (see website)
Birmingham (0121) 248 5868
Southampton (02380) 829 189

Please spare a thought for the people that have lost their jobs and for those who still face losing theirs. If staff dont seem receptive please understand why.
Seye
New here

PreviousNext