You are here

Compressor before ADC

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Compressor before ADC

Postby My Own Silence » Fri May 09, 2008 8:08 am

I am worried about the old purchase bug again (Irecently bought the Duende for a good set of EQ and Buss compressor)

I am using an RME fireface 400 to record into and was wondering about the need for an external compressor. One engineer recently explained how he would record vocals through a limiter and compressor before entering the desk.

I appreciate this helps with peaks in the digital world but is there any point.

Whenever I record bass guitar I end up with quite a jumpy signal, however I am concerned that even the duende cannot compress the bass smoothly, the bass ends up sounding like a cello being bowed almost by the end of it. Some might say I am using too much compression,, but without it the track is not tight and bounces and sound crap.
My Own Silence
Regular

Re: Compressor before ADC

Postby Zukan » Fri May 09, 2008 9:09 am

So, this engineer reckons that you should throw a limiter across the vocals and then follow it up with compression, all at input and in series?

:roll:

Anyways, if you are using a compressor for taming the peaks then you should get to grips with the parameters that control the compressor.

If you can get these right then you won't be suffering from the anomalies that you are.

Good use of a compressor can make a bass sit nicely in a mix with no side effects of pumping, or bowing or anything else.
Even at tracking.
Zukan

Postby Stoney » Fri May 09, 2008 11:30 am

Not really an answer to your original q, but re sounding "bowed": do you mean the initial transients are getting smoothed out too much? If so, can't you just increase the attack?
Stoney
Regular

Postby Tímo » Fri May 09, 2008 1:19 pm

The Fireface also has a (soft) limiter that creates harmonic distortion, and prevents overloading the A/D converters?
Tímo
Regular
http://Infekted.org ~ Access Virus news & community