You are here

Roland vt3 through computer?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Roland vt3 through computer?

Postby Torvalds » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:02 pm

I got myself a Roland vt3 to record synth effects on my computer. However I am having some problems setting it working with my computer and my daw.

How can I get it working so it will record audio clips through my audio interface and into my daw?

At the back of the unit there is a usb connection and two 3/4" jacks. I'm not even sure if these are stereo or mono. I've looked in the manual but it's a bit useless to someone like me.

I'm using:
Windows 7 pc
Ableton 9
Komplete audio 6

Hopefully someone who has some experience in hardware synths and such can help. Thanks.
Torvalds
New here

Re: Roland vt3 through computer?

Postby BJG145 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:47 pm

Looks like the two main outputs can be configured as a stereo pair via a selector switch. So you could record directly into it and plug the VT3's outputs into the inputs on your KA6. Or, you could play a DAW track out through the KA6, into the VT3, and then back into the KA6 again. If you're not sure how to set that up, you could start by looking through a tutorial on using hardware effects in Live, like this one.

(You could also ignore the KA6 and record directly from the VT3 via USB, though I'm not sure how fiddly it might be to get them both connected and configured at the same time.)
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Torvalds » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:53 pm

Thanks for posting. I'll have to get a couple of 3/4" cables then. Should I get stereo or mono cables, or does it even matter?

Roland just give you the power cable in the box which is a bit disappointing especially as you really need a usb cable to update the unit. Oh well I'm sure I'll get there in the end.
Torvalds
New here

Postby BJG145 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:29 pm

You'd want mono cables if you're going that route.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Torvalds » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:05 pm

Sent away for a couple of cables today. I'll hopefully be sorted out on Monday. Thanks.
Torvalds
New here

Postby Torvalds » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:58 pm

Got the cables today but am still unable to set it up in any way that works. I have tried various things and have ableton set up correctly (I think).

I put the mono cables from the vt3 to the inputs on my ka6, switched the selector switch to mono and set up the vt3 to output through the ka6. Am I still doing something wrong?
Torvalds
New here

Postby Richie Royale » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:11 pm

Plug output 3 from the KA into the jack input at the rear of the VT3. In Ableton Live make sure the outputs are set up in the configuration box and send the track you wish to process to output 3. The output of the VT3 should go into the KA.

I expect you will have to trigger the VT3 via the USB MIDI to hear anything on the vocoder settings.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby Torvalds » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:51 am

Okay ive tried that too but still have no input to Ableton or sound. Ableton is receiving something through the mic because the bar is going up and down.

Ive tried going back a few steps and starting again because surely this is an everyday thing to do and cant be so complicated. But it was in vain lol :headbang:

I dont have much experience with these things and no doubt if I was used to hardware other than a mic and a guitar I would probably be ok.

Also I cant contact Roland for help because they dont have a phone number for tech support and their website is from the early 90's and the support form gives a repeating error.

This is what it says in the manual:
Recording
The mic sound processed by the VT-3 can be recorded on your computer.
The VT-3 will output the effect-processed sound and the unprocessed sound (bypass).
Torvalds
New here

Postby ef37a » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:08 am

Do you have the Roland plugged into inputs 3/4 on the KA6?
If so do you light the LEDs for 3/4 when you hit a key? If not the Roland is not sending.

I have a Ka6 so any test you want done just ask.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Postby Torvalds » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:37 am

Hi. Yes the lights are lighting up.
Torvalds
New here

Postby ef37a » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:49 am

Torvalds wrote:Hi. Yes the lights are lighting up.

Ok, so if it is blinking the Ableton track 3/4 meters and you still can't hear it I would think it must be something awry in the output routing but I am not at all familiar with Ableton.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Torvalds » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:23 pm

Ive got it now. I done a last "bugger it" attempt and got it going. What I was doing wrong was making it too complicated and doing too much in the way of routing and config.

Basically what you need to do is:
1. Plug in your usb and the two mono cables to your 3/4 jacks.
2. Open daw and select VT3 as your audio interface.
3. This step will vary with different daws. In ableton load the external instrument plugin and change the midi output to VT3 and the input to 3/4.
4. Arm an audio track to record and start recording.

Also you need headphones on to hear what you're doing :)

Im not sure im keen on Ableton now after all this. It seems to be too technical and hinders creativity with fiddling around. I might try demo a few other daws in hope of finding one that flows more smoothly.

Thanks everyone for posting and helping :)
Torvalds
New here

Postby ef37a » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:17 pm

"Im not sure im keen on Ableton now after all this. It seems to be too technical and hinders creativity with fiddling around. I might try demo a few other daws in hope of finding one that flows more smoothly."

Heh! Give Reaper a try. I find Samplitude to be very straightforward for signal routing (Sam 8se is brilliant but gone. Samplitude Silver Pro is nearly as good).

But then most DAWs are "easy" when you know them. I "can" set up Cubase but only if I have to!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Torvalds » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:59 pm

Hi Dave. I will check those out. Ive never heard of Samplitude but ive heard of Reaper. Ableton is probably good for live stuff if you're into that side of things but I feel it tries to be fancy and cool rather than fluent and productive. The more ive used it the more faults ive encountered. I know its very popular and each to their own.
Torvalds
New here

Postby ef37a » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:34 pm

Torvalds wrote:Hi Dave. I will check those out. Ive never heard of Samplitude but ive heard of Reaper. Ableton is probably good for live stuff if you're into that side of things but I feel it tries to be fancy and cool rather than fluent and productive. The more ive used it the more faults ive encountered. I know its very popular and each to their own.

Yes, Samplitude (MAGIX)is rarther less well know. The top line and expensive "Pro X" got a really good review here and you can download a fully functioning demo. I would love it but jusT cannot justify the cost.
It seems that MAGIX do not have a "lite" version at £50-80 to compete with the likes of Steinberg, Sonar etc and there is to my knowledge no hardware that gives you a do with Samplitude.
I got my copy of Sam SE8 from Computer Music Magazine some time ago. I have bought Reaper, Cubase le6 and Sonar X1 ess' (hate that!) but for knockabout recording I always just load up SE8.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Next