You are here

A few ADAT questions......

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

A few ADAT questions......

Postby roses2at » Thu May 08, 2008 6:16 pm

I recently bought a couple of s/h ADAT LX20's (don't laugh, but they were cheap and in good condition with low hours) and I have few questions about them. If anyone can help or shed any light, I'd be very grateful.

1) Can the Digital IN read a standard stereo signal via optical cable from a MD or DAT? Or is it only for 8 channel ADAT signals?
The reason I ask is that I want to transfer a few songs from my Korg D12, which I will obviously have to do two tracks at a time using MIDI sync. Would prefer not to have to do this via analogue.

2) Talking of MIDI sync, is it better to use the ADAT as a master or slave? (I have a BRC by the way.) Can someone point me in the right direction in the manual how to set this up?

3)I've seen a ADAT Remote Meter Bridge for sale but I'm not sure if it's compatible with the LX20. I see nowhere on its back panel to connect the RMB to. Someone told me they're only compatible with Blackface machines which strikes me as ridiculous. Why on earth did they phase out such a useful function on the later and more upmarket 20-bit ADATs??

Okay, plenty more questions still to come, but that's all for now.

Thanks.
roses2at
Poster

Re: A few ADAT questions......

Postby cfb4 » Thu May 08, 2008 7:23 pm

Not sure about the litepipe question - never tried my blackface ADAT with anything other than an 8 channel ADAT to my MOTU. I would not laugh at ADATs - I recently bought one to transfer some masters and the track quality was stunning. And that was after the delivery guy dropped the box 5 feet onto stone floor :headbang:
If you have a BRC - then by all means use it. It's been a long time but if memory serves your top ADAT is the master and you daisychain down to the others from that one. BRC then connects to the top one. I'd slave the sequencer from the BRC too - if you are using one.

Apart from that - ADAT life is much easier if you follow the
'ADAT rules': FF/REW each tape before formatting so that the
tape is wound correctly on the spools. Once a tape is associated with a machine - preserve this relationship as the transports behave differently (in a subtle way). Use approved tape stock and do a 1-for-1 safety bounce of important projects. Clean, but do not overclean the heads with an approved cleaning tape.

Hope this helps, Rich
cfb4
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Fri May 09, 2008 9:17 am

roses2at wrote:

1) Can the Digital IN read a standard stereo signal via optical cable from a MD or DAT? Or is it only for 8 channel ADAT signals?

As far as I know it only works with ADAT format signals. However, I guess you could always try feeding it an spdif signal and see what happens. I suspect that it won't lock onto the signal.

Cheers

James.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby roses2at » Sat May 10, 2008 9:49 am

[quote="James Perrett
As far as I know it only works with ADAT format signals. However, I guess you could always try feeding it an spdif signal and see what happens. [/quote]

Hmm, you're right. It doesn't see the SPDIF stereo signal from my MD or DAT. Which is annoying cos I want to transfer to ADAT from my other digital multitrack, a Korg D12.

Anyone know a workaround t"]this??
roses2at
Poster

Postby andy cross » Sat May 10, 2008 10:24 am

1) The ADAT lightpipe in is definitely ADAT format only, so won't accept S/PDIF.

2) Generally I found it easier to use the ADAT (the BRC in fact) as the master.

3) From what I remember, the meter bridge attaches to the BRC, so should work with the LX20s.

(I've still got a couple of black face ADATs and a BRC which I use for taking up space and putting things on top of, respectively, so I'm relying on distant memories here. I do have the BRC manual, though, so I'm happy to check if the meter bridge is referred to there.)
andy cross
Regular

Postby roses2at » Sun May 11, 2008 11:40 am

andy cross wrote:

From what I remember, the meter bridge attaches to the BRC, so should work with the LX20s.

No, there's definitely no connection on the back of the BRC. (THat's what i hoped for originally, but logically, that couldn't work because there's no audio signal going from any type of ADAT to the BRC, only sync and track arm signals.)

Ah well, I'll be selling my two RMBs on Ebay soon (they each come with the 30 foot 4 way D-plug loom, mains cable and manual) so if anyone's interested, send me a PM. Would be prepared to split them.
roses2at
Poster

Postby roses2at » Sun May 11, 2008 6:53 pm

andy cross wrote:The ADAT lightpipe in is definitely ADAT format only, so won't accept S/PDIF.

Is there some kind of device (simple and cheap if possible)that can covert SPDIF into ADAT format??
roses2at
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Sun May 11, 2008 9:49 pm

I think that Alesis made a box to do this - the AI1 if I remember correctly.

Cheers

James.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Sun May 11, 2008 11:04 pm

roses2at wrote:
Why on earth did they phase out such a useful function on the later and more upmarket 20-bit ADATs??
Because the LX20 is the budget 20 bit machine. The XT20 was the upmarket 20 bit model. MIDIman/ Flying Cow made a little box to allow ADAT to S/Pdif routing.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Postby roses2at » Mon May 12, 2008 1:32 pm

James Perrett wrote:I think that Alesis made a box to do this - the AI1 if I remember correctly.

I've just downloaded the manual for it and it seems to do what I want.

Anyone got one kicking around which they might be prepared to sell to save me trawling through Ebay?

What sort of price should I expect to pay??
roses2at
Poster

Postby roses2at » Mon May 12, 2008 1:35 pm

Tomás Mulcahy wrote:

MIDIman/ Flying Cow made a little box to allow ADAT to S/Pdif routing.

What was it called? Or are you referring to the M-Audio SAM??

Again, anyone got one of them for sale for a reasonable and fair price?
roses2at
Poster

Postby roses2at » Mon May 12, 2008 6:55 pm

Does anyone out there have a service (not operating) manual for the ADAT (any model would do, but LX-20 specifically)?
roses2at
Poster