You are here

Kenton Spin doctor

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Kenton Spin doctor

Postby Scouser » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:34 pm

Just wondered if anyone has had one of these relics from the past ?

It is exactly what I want as a midi controller, as many vsti etc have the learn function this could be so useful.

Only problem is no drivers for modern os. Is there any way I could get this working or a work around of some kind ?
Scouser
Frequent Poster

Re: Kenton Spin doctor

Postby BJG145 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:24 pm

Do you have one, or are you thinking of getting one...?

Personally I'm done with faffing around trying to get unsupported hardware to work. It's not worth the aggro when there are relatively inexpensive modern equivalents like Novation Launchcontrol.

ImageImage
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby The Korff » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:36 pm

No drivers necessary! It's just a standard MIDI controller, so you just need a 5-pin DIN MIDI input somewhere and you'll be good to go.

There are some more modern alternatives that work over USB though, which might suit your setup better? Can't go too far wrong with a Behringer BCR2000, which has endless rotaries and a ring of LEDs so the knobs don't need to be 'manually' set to the real position of whatever parameter you're controlling.

Or there's the Korg Nano range?
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Scouser » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:34 pm

Hey I didn't realise I could use it ! That's great news, thought it may need drivers. Best I dig it out and connect it up ;)
Scouser
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:48 am

Those Kenton controllers are also built like tanks, and should therefore last for years and years and...

8-)

Martin
Martin Walker