You are here

Windows 10 for musicians SOS article

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: Windows 10 for musicians SOS article

Postby ezza » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:47 am

ef37a wrote:The Post Ghost has struck again!
I was sure I asked if the factory recovery partition on my HP laptop would allow a return to W7 at any time if I went ahead and installed the free W10?

Dave.

The Windows 10 installer will back up your Win 7 install and revert back to it (with all your settings and programs intact) whether you have a recovery partition or not.
ezza
Regular
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:00 am

Re: Windows 10 for musicians SOS article

Postby ef37a » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:56 am

ezza wrote:
ef37a wrote:The Post Ghost has struck again!
I was sure I asked if the factory recovery partition on my HP laptop would allow a return to W7 at any time if I went ahead and installed the free W10?

Dave.

The Windows 10 installer will back up your Win 7 install and revert back to it (with all your settings and programs intact) whether you have a recovery partition or not.

Really? Not the impressive I have got. So, I have ABSOLUTLY NOTHING TO FEAR INSTALLING W10 ON THIS LAPPY?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12298
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk
#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Re: Windows 10 for musicians SOS article

Postby alexis » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:00 pm

ef37a wrote:
ezza wrote:
ef37a wrote:The Post Ghost has struck again!
I was sure I asked if the factory recovery partition on my HP laptop would allow a return to W7 at any time if I went ahead and installed the free W10?

Dave.

The Windows 10 installer will back up your Win 7 install and revert back to it (with all your settings and programs intact) whether you have a recovery partition or not.

Really? Not the impressive I have got. So, I have ABSOLUTLY NOTHING TO FEAR INSTALLING W10 ON THIS LAPPY?

Dave.

Image first!
User avatar
alexis
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3688
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2003 1:00 am
Location: San Antonio, TX USA
Cubase 9.0.1; i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W10 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro3.2

Re: Windows 10 for musicians SOS article

Postby The Elf » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:09 pm

alexis wrote:
ef37a wrote:
ezza wrote:
ef37a wrote:The Post Ghost has struck again!
I was sure I asked if the factory recovery partition on my HP laptop would allow a return to W7 at any time if I went ahead and installed the free W10?

Dave.

The Windows 10 installer will back up your Win 7 install and revert back to it (with all your settings and programs intact) whether you have a recovery partition or not.

Really? Not the impressive I have got. So, I have ABSOLUTLY NOTHING TO FEAR INSTALLING W10 ON THIS LAPPY?

Dave.

Image first!
+99!
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 15397
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Windows 10 for musicians SOS article

Postby ezza » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:10 pm

After the upgrade your old Win 7 install is backed up in a folder on your C drive. You can revert back to it if you don't want to stay on Win 10. (I think it's an option if you boot into the advanced options with F8 on start-up).

However, I have not done it myself so I can't vouch for how well it works. As ever, in these situations, Google is your friend!
ezza
Regular
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:00 am

Re: Windows 10 for musicians SOS article

Postby ezza » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:13 pm

Or, indeed... and better still... image you drive and restore from that.
ezza
Regular
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:00 am

Re: Windows 10 for musicians SOS article

Postby t_track » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:34 am

Logged in after many years of just browsing this forum to +1.
Most definitely IMAGE FIRST.

Tony
t_track
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:00 am

Re: Windows 10 for musicians SOS article

Postby ramthelinefeed » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:23 am

ef37a wrote:

Really? Not the impressive I have got. So, I have ABSOLUTLY NOTHING TO FEAR INSTALLING W10 ON THIS LAPPY?

Dave.

Nothing to fear except fear itself... :angel:
ramthelinefeed
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2624
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:00 am
Location: UK
A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with!
 

Re: Windows 10 for musicians SOS article

Postby The Elf » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:37 am

feline1 wrote:
ef37a wrote:

Really? Not the impressive I have got. So, I have ABSOLUTLY NOTHING TO FEAR INSTALLING W10 ON THIS LAPPY?

Dave.

Nothing to fear except fear itself... :angel:
...and tigers, obviously... :D
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 15397
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Windows 10 for musicians SOS article

Postby ef37a » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:49 am

The Elf wrote:
feline1 wrote:
ef37a wrote:

Really? Not the impressive I have got. So, I have ABSOLUTLY NOTHING TO FEAR INSTALLING W10 ON THIS LAPPY?

Dave.

Nothing to fear except fear itself... :angel:
...and tigers, obviously... :D

Well, thank you for those well reasoned, well presented replies!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12298
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk
#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Re: Windows 10 for musicians SOS article

Postby zenguitar » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:34 pm

The Elf wrote:
feline1 wrote:
ef37a wrote:

Really? Not the impressive I have got. So, I have ABSOLUTLY NOTHING TO FEAR INSTALLING W10 ON THIS LAPPY?

Dave.

Nothing to fear except fear itself... :angel:
...and tigers, obviously... :D
... sharks too :D

Andy :beamup:
User avatar
zenguitar
Moderator
Posts: 10833
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Devon
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Re: Windows 10 for musicians SOS article

Postby alexis » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:16 pm

Dear Mods/Masters of the Universe :) ... wondering if a link to Robin Vincent's excellent article (referenced in the OP) might be well-placed as a sticky at least for a while?
User avatar
alexis
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3688
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2003 1:00 am
Location: San Antonio, TX USA
Cubase 9.0.1; i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W10 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro3.2

Re: Windows 10 for musicians SOS article

Postby zenguitar » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:32 pm

As the first post contains the link, easier to make this thread sticky.

Andy :beamup:
User avatar
zenguitar
Moderator
Posts: 10833
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Devon
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Re: Windows 10 for musicians SOS article

Postby Wonks » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:59 pm

Everyone's forgetting large hairy spiders that are running towards you...
User avatar
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 10913
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Reading, UK
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Re: Windows 10 for musicians SOS article

Postby OneWorld » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:03 pm

The Elf wrote:
feline1 wrote:
ef37a wrote:

Really? Not the impressive I have got. So, I have ABSOLUTLY NOTHING TO FEAR INSTALLING W10 ON THIS LAPPY?

Dave.

Nothing to fear except fear itself... :angel:
...and tigers, obviously... :D

Is this why Apple names its OSs after big cats, to imbue us with fear!
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2795
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:00 am

PreviousNext