You are here

Midifile players on the Ipad for Live use

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

Re: Midifile players on the Ipad for Live use

Postby bluessinger45 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:51 pm

Mick.N
Thanks for the heads up. I thought that would be the case.
Just thought I would confirm it.
So the iPad plays the wavs not MP3's?
bluessinger45
Regular

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:55 pm

The iPad can play WAV or MP3. The delivery format of the audio file is not really so important. I would mix to a WAV and convert to MP3 (if required) before sending it to the iPad. If you have a WAV file tucked away you can always go back and re-convert it to any format you like later.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Music Wolf » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:21 pm

[quote="bluessinger45]
Bands have inherent problems so you are doing well if you can keep it together and fun with the three of you. [/quote]

We're heading the other way. On Sunday we are having a trial with a real drummer and, whilst we're looking forward to it, I have real reservations about whether it will work. I've met the guy and he's a nice bloke and a good drummer but it's a question of probabilities. If each band member is available 3 weekends out of every 4 then you can get together as a 3 piece every other weekend. 4 people and you are down to one week in every three which is the point where people start to lose i"]erest.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby bluessinger45 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:03 am

Hello again,
feel zonked today - had mid week gig last night!
and we managed to pipe into the in-house PA.
As for your reservations, I agree that you need to find out what peoples objectives are when you join or form a band.
In my experience, unless you establish this before recruitment then you will always be chasing your tail.
Although it's mercenary , the most successful acts I have been in has been where the "driver" has been money. When band members need the money they turn up , suppress "egos" , and seem to work as a team much better to solve logistics issues.
Just my experience over the last 20 odd years on the pubs and clubs..
Before that , I was in original bands trying to "make it" and that brought a completely different set of problems which I spent years solving before one day having the "eureka" moment that I was being played like a cello by some band members ( a most valuable experience)
bluessinger45
Regular

Postby OneWorld » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:02 pm

We have a chap on the MIR Space Station at the moment. There was another some years ago, who before his space career was something to do with music and he spoke of the difficulties of trying to manage one - all in the same place at the same time doing the same thing, without falling out, getting out their heads, having tantrums etc etc etc

During the interview, when they were talking about getting into space, all the difficulties and such. The interviewer mentioned all the seemingly unsurmontable challenges. The spaceman said yes, it is incredibly difficult but then went on to say "Not half as bad as running a pop group though, and the classical musicians were even worse!"

But anyway, back to the midi file player. I have used tech as opposed to a live player in the past, and used an iPad (but playing mp3) it always turns up on time, doesn't run off with the backing singer, never gets intoxicated by whatever infusion is going about at the time etc etc etc, however, you guessed it, there's a 'but' about to ride into town - it doesn't know decent jokes! Yes I suppose I am preaching to the converted here, you cannot beat live, and best of luck in your venture, after all, it's all about the music, not the personalities - if a chimp could play bass, drums, guitar, keys etc I'd watch it
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby bluessinger45 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:53 pm

Great post OneWorld - couldn't agree more. I'm just moving back from live band to backing trax and appreciate that each has it's pro's and con's .
This thread has drifted somewhat "off topic" but has been highly entertaining nevertheless !
bluessinger45
Regular

Postby IvanSC » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:27 pm

I am currently trying to streamline my old MIDI file player/module-based solo act to make life a little easier. I already use a 64gb iPad air for lyrics, setlists, etc and am now starting to convert all my self-sequenced MIDI tracks to audio tracks. I find the iPad and Ios in general to be utterly confusing and limiting. Reinstated Garage Band & its like some nasty little K-Tel toy from the 70s. What I cant seem to figure out is how you can get an iOS device lik the iPad air to play wav files, or for that matter get the wav files themselves into the bloody iPad in the first place. Everything online seems to be wanting me to put everything in an iTunes account but also says that iTunes doesnt like wav format OR mp3.

Humbly begging some guru assistance before I just say bugger it and see if its do-able on my Anfroid tablet. Hate the thought of 2 tablets though....
IvanSC
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Two bottles of Corona lemon and lime,  please!

Postby The Elf » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:01 pm

To get audio into and played from a iPad I use CloudBeats. I can put my audio in any cloud storage (Box, Dropbox, Mediafire, my own NAS, etc) and either stream it from there, or download it to CloudBeats so it is available when not online.

It's all very simple, and CloudBeats plays any file format I throw at it.

There are other players that work in a similar manner (I also use Evermusic, for example), but I find CB simple and straightforward.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Previous