You are here

Solo-ing suggestions for ...

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Solo-ing suggestions for ...

Postby jellyjim » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:00 pm

[ G --- C --- ] [ C / D# / G / C# / ] [ C --- Cm --- ] [ G / C# / ] [ C --- Cm --- ] [ G / G - C / C - ] [ C / D# / ] ||: [ G / C# / C /// C /// D# /// D# /// ] :||

- hold chord
/ strum
[] sections
:|| coda thingy, can't remember proper notation :)

I'm getting some ideas noodling around but the C to Cm is throwing me, other than simply holding the Eb on the Cm and there is a descending chromatic vocal line on the G C# C C D# which is well, very chromatic!

Thoughts?
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Re: Solo-ing suggestions for ...

Postby blinddrew » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:31 pm

any chance of linking a recording?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby jellyjim » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:27 pm

blinddrew wrote:any chance of linking a recording?

Well ... Ok, but don't tell 'Tim', though why he'd by shy I don't know because I think the song's lovely!

https://soundcloud.com/timharbridge/nothing-no-one

This has a glockenspiel part on it. I have picked that out by ear and can play it but it doesn't really feel like guitar soloing

https://soundcloud.com/timharbridge/nothing-no-one
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Postby blinddrew » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:31 pm

Hmmm. Did you have a sound or style in mind?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby jellyjim » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:37 am

blinddrew wrote:Hmmm. Did you have a sound or style in mind?

Not sure, perhaps that's the problem

I partly meant what scales or modes might fit but as for actual implementation I'd be interested to hear anything really

I'm fairly inexperienced with soloing, only just starting to break out of blues/pentatonic box patterns into modes etc

I guess something with a light touch, not blistering rock solos! Melodic too
jellyjim
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:20 pm

Hmmm, it's tricky. To me it seems that the space in the song is all in the bass register. With all the oohs and the glockenspiel it's hard to avoid treading on anything else. I messed around with some double stopping on an acoustic but I couldn't find anything beneficial there really. I'd be more tempted to have a play on my double bass really :¬)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby jellyjim » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:59 am

blinddrew wrote:Hmmm, it's tricky. To me it seems that the space in the song is all in the bass register. With all the oohs and the glockenspiel it's hard to avoid treading on anything else. I messed around with some double stopping on an acoustic but I couldn't find anything beneficial there really. I'd be more tempted to have a play on my double bass really :¬)

ok cool that's helpful, so given that inexperienced soloist ...

good to know it's tricky
sometimes there just ain't room?
jellyjim
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:06 am

Personally I'd either ditch the glockenspiel or pull it well back. It's too forward. It's an 'ear candy' sound so unless you are recording the Glockenspiel Orchestra of Great Britain, it should be used sparingly. It really makes it hard to think of anything else - especially adding guitar lines.

There could be space for some solo guitar, but just in the gaps between the singing.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Exalted Wombat » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:30 pm

The glock is quite effective in the couple of places where it fills a gap. Otherwise, I'd ditch it.

The vocal section is good. Then there's a long stretch of musical background. Why not write another verse? The world doesn't need any more guitar solos.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby Random Guitarist » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:10 pm

Exalted Wombat wrote:The world doesn't need any more guitar solos.

< Erases forty gigabytes of wav files, whilst sobbing gently >
Random Guitarist
Frequent Poster
I've never liked a solo violin, you need at least five for a proper fire.

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:05 pm

Random Guitarist wrote:
Exalted Wombat wrote:The world doesn't need any more guitar solos.

< Erases forty gigabytes of wav files, whilst sobbing gently >
:bouncy:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby tacitus » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:18 pm

Glock, guitar solos? All we need is a harp and I can really hate it!

More seriously, use glock extremely sparingly. It's a bit like frosting the rim on a cocktail glass, so go easy on it. Generally, there are two choices - make something more complicated, or less complicated. I like to think I do the latter more often, but I've been doing that in the past and suddenly realised it's getting more complicated again!

Relentless self-criticism - it's so important, you should outsource it.
tacitus
Frequent Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:54 pm

Can't hear the accordion (hint).

By the way, Glocks are out, Uzis are in.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Apple Watch - the slowest of all the nature programmes.

Postby CS70 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:21 pm

Er.. not my genre at all, but jamming 10 secs over it (and ignoring the bloody pling pling which I suppose it's the glockspiel the others are talking about) - it's perfectly possible to make up some simple Beatles-like lines which actually make the thing move a little. I liked the chromatic movement somewhere in the ooohhhs which is easily followed on the guitar and gives a little hint of "I'm actually listening and not just noodiling".

Where to put said lines, however, I wouldn't have a clue - you need to open a few bars in the arrangement.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby DC-Choppah » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:59 pm

The song is in the key of G. Based on the notes in the melody line, when you move from the C to the Cm chord you are actually moving the tonal center from G to Bflat.

So try switching to a Bflat major scale for the Cm chord. That worked for me and how I would analyze your song for a solo.

Regarding the chromatic stuff, that is harder, and just following the chromatic lines sound clunky. so instead I tried to find something common that didn't move so much, an underlying harmony that fits the melody and the chords. I haven't found anything.

There is a trick to writing songs that are good for soloing on.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby Exalted Wombat » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:23 pm

DC-Choppah wrote:The song is in the key of G. Based on the notes in the melody line, when you move from the C to the Cm chord you are actually moving the tonal center from G to Bflat.

The heck you are! A bog-standard chromatic chord like IVm doesn't take us out of G one little bit. If you must think scalic rather than melodic improvisation, play the scale you would have chosen for a C chord, when you get to E make it Eb.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby DC-Choppah » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:53 am

Exalted Wombat wrote:
DC-Choppah wrote:The song is in the key of G. Based on the notes in the melody line, when you move from the C to the Cm chord you are actually moving the tonal center from G to Bflat.

The heck you are! A bog-standard chromatic chord like IVm doesn't take us out of G one little bit. If you must think scalic rather than melodic improvisation, play the scale you would have chosen for a C chord, when you get to E make it Eb.

You have to look at he harmony implied by the melody too, not just the chords. The melody has a Bflat and Eflat during the Cm chord and these are very deliberate sounding so the tonal center has shifted. It's the melody that indicates the tonal center shift. The chord symbol is just what the guitar play is strumming.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster