You are here

Looking for feedback and criticism

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Looking for feedback and criticism

Postby Adam G » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:43 pm

Hi all, I'm hoping to get some feedback on a song we recorded pretty recently. It's pretty representative of what we do, and I think shows both the good and the bad. I won't say what I think (or even what I play and what I wrote from this song) cos I really am after honest feedback on what needs improving. I will say that I think we can do a lot to make our stuff better, and that means I really do want to know what's not working and what is.

I suppose I'm after feedback mainly for the arrangement and the details of the parts and performances, so I like the basic song and that's what we do.

It's available on soundcloud: Studio 13 - Faker

Many thanks in advance!
Adam G
New here

Re: Looking for feedback and criticism

Postby The Bunk » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:25 pm

As a "spare bedroom" type producer here, I like the tune, and she's got a good voice. I'd just bring the vocal up more, it's just a bit too low and sometimes gets lost a bit in the mix. Same with the backing/chorus vox that seem to be on the right channel; you kind of only realise they're there a little while after they've come in which is a shame because they're really nice and deserve being heard more. The track that seems to follow automatically after it has got the vox higher in the mix and sounds a lot better as a result.
Nice though, I like it.
The Bunk
Frequent Poster
2 answers; 799 questions and about 58 "Mornington Crescent" posts.

Postby joejohnstun » Mon May 16, 2016 10:59 pm

Yeah! I loved this sound right away!

+1 on upping the vocals and giving them a more prominent part in the mix. They are way waayy too low. It's almost like their fighting with that lead guitar for my attention.

This sounds like a great song with a catchy chorus and solid verses... SOUNDS like it, but I can't really tell because I have no idea what she's(?) saying.

I love your key changes, very original.

Joe.
joejohnstun
Poster
My happy, beachy melodies - SoundCloud.com/JoeJohnstun
My sex opinion/advice column - SexyLittleIdeas.com

Postby blinddrew » Tue May 17, 2016 8:56 pm

Just a couple of things from me from an arrangement perspective (ignore them as you see fit).
The backing vox seems a little bit wishy-washy for the song. They should be building impact but they're just softening the chorus.
And the guitar solo seems a bit plonked in the middle, it's there because the song should have one rather than because it's adding anything to the ebb and flow of the song. I think it needs some work on coming in and out of the solo as well as giving it some dramatic life of its own.
Mind you, I've never managed to get a CD run to break even so feel free to spit on my critique and carry on as you were ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...