You are here

Expensive studio on a budget suggestion

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Expensive studio on a budget suggestion

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:02 pm

Greetings,
A friend built one of the HairBall Audio 1176 kits and I was so impressed I have been exploring this brave new world, for me, of clones (knock offs? Inspired bys? Etc). Even though you guys have reviewed kits in the past I thought it might be interesting to have a series about building a high end studio on a budget.
Hackintoshes are becoming popular as Mac has released a pro machine useful to musicians in what? 3 years? PCs have had an edge for a custom machine for years. IOS can do rather surprising things.
The DIY world has numerous hardware emulations of high end gear for those who like to solder, or you can pay somebody to solder for you.
Low end plugin companies have their take on high end gear.
There are online build a mic for you companies.
For the new generations this may all be old hat as they grew up these options.
Anyway just a thought.
A crazier thought might be to have four different musicians/composer/engineers assemble their take on a clone studio.
cheers
Eric
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Expensive studio on a budget suggestion

Postby awjoe » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:00 pm

ManFromGlass wrote: Even though you guys have reviewed kits in the past I thought it might be interesting to have a series about building a high end studio on a budget.

Aside from kits, the 'how to assemble a studio for the price of a good bicycle' idea is fun to play with. On another site, I said something like 'if you already have a computer, you can get a decent bedroom studio together for $1000, including room treatment' and I got told I didn't know what I was talking about. But they were wrong. :lol:
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Fringe member of the Party Pooper People's Party