You are here

Early Sound On Sound Issues...

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Re: Early Sound On Sound Issues...

Postby desmond » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:38 am

:thumbup: 8-)
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:35 pm

It is indeed a superb resource and we are all indebted to you for taking it on and delivering such excellent resources.

Having just had another rummage around the site, I particularly liked the timeline chart which is very helpful indeed. However, could I suggest some small tweaks?

A minor graphical thing is that a couple of the blobs are cut-off for some reason (for One Two Testing and Music UK).

More importantly, you list Studio Sound as running from 1959, which isn't strictly true.

The magazine was called 'Tape Recorder' from Feb 1959 up until the start of 1970, and it was only fully badged as Studio Sound from October 1970.

In fact there was a cross-over period during 1970, when the Studio SOund title was first tentatively introduced in February 1970. So the magazine went from being titled just 'Tape Recorder', to 'Studio Sound and Tape Recorder', but with the emphasis still very much on on 'Tape Recorder'.

The Studio Sound part became the more dominant partner in May 1970, and then the title changed to 'Studio Sound Incorporating Tape Recorder' for a few months (July, Aug, Sept) before evolving finally, into just Studio Sound in October 1970.

As you know, Studio Sound was closed with the December 2001 issue, but for completeness I think you should also include on your chart Resolution Magazine as this is the direct descendent of Studio Sound.

Resolution is an independent publication but it was started by the former editor of Studio Sound with the specific aim of maintaining the same kind of editorial content and standards of that magazine in its heyday. Resolution started in May 2002 and is still being published today.

You might also want to incorporate Audio Media, and Sound On Sound's other sister titles such as Sound On Stage, Sound Pro, Performing Musician...

Hope that helps.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby desmond » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:04 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Having just had another rummage around the site, I particularly liked the timeline chart which is very helpful indeed. However, could I suggest some small tweaks?

Sure!

BTW More publishing info is *always* welcome, particularly from people with expert knowledge - I have done a lot of research (heck, I even read Richard Desmond's biography!), but things develop over time as more info comes in, so it gets refined along the way.

Hugh Robjohns wrote:A minor graphical thing is that a couple of the blobs are cut-off for some reason (for One Two Testing and Music UK).

These are publications where I have not officially confirmed the last issue (this is also indicated in the text popup when you hover over it) - in these cases, the last issue I know about or have seen is plotted. When I'm confident the official last issue is known, they will become round blobs. So there *is* a reason! :)

Hugh Robjohns wrote:More importantly, you list Studio Sound as running from 1959, which isn't strictly true.

The magazine was called 'Tape Recorder' from Feb 1959 up until the start of 1970, and it was only fully badged as Studio Sound from October 1970.

In fact there was a cross-over period during 1970, when the Studio SOund title was first tentatively introduced in February 1970. So the magazine went from being titled just 'Tape Recorder', to 'Studio Sound and Tape Recorder', but with the emphasis still very much on on 'Tape Recorder'.

The Studio Sound part became the more dominant partner in May 1970, and then the title changed to 'Studio Sound Incorporating Tape Recorder' for a few months (July, Aug, Sept) before evolving finally, into just Studio Sound in October 1970.

Good to know. Will update my notes accordingly :)

Hugh Robjohns wrote:As you know, Studio Sound was closed with the December 2001 issue, but for completeness I think you should also include on your chart Resolution Magazine as this is the direct descendent of Studio Sound.

Resolution is an independent publication but it was started by the former editor of Studio Sound with the specific aim of maintaining the same kind of editorial content and standards of that magazine in its heyday. Resolution started in May 2002 and is still being published today.

Thanks - I knew about the existence of Resolution, but didn't know much more about it.

In fact, there are a good few other "audio production" (as opposed to "music production") magazines, including SOS-founded AudioMedia and others - I tend to regard these more as trade/professional magazines and are outside the initial, fairly defined scope of what I'm trying to do - so I haven't researched into these too much, and nor do I plan on trying to archive them at this time (my current scope is wide enough for now! This may change in the future - maybe when we have done the bulk of the work with the current publication scope we might think about widening it to include some of these others.)

But, as far as the publishing timeline goes, I agree it would be useful to lock down dates for some of those publications, and to at least include them on the publishing timeline, so I'll add it to my list of things to look at.

Hugh Robjohns wrote:You might also want to incorporate Audio Media, and Sound On Sound's other sister titles such as Sound On Stage, Sound Pro, Performing Musician...

Yes, some of those are in my database but aren't visible on the public site - Sound On Stage & Performing Musician I think are valid for inclusion and have always being in the system (and I'm sure the SOS powers-that-be would likely be fine with including them) but at this time I don't have any issues, and they don't turn up much. I think also some of these issues are off the table to archive with me as they already exist in SOS's online archive. But they are on my radar, and agree they should really be in the publishing timeline (which would need to be upgraded a bit to highlight what we are archiving and what we are not etc).

For things like Audio Media, which I have some issues of (I actually did have the editor of Audio Media contact me who has a full collection of these and other things), but I think if I included all the audio mags, I would be OCR'ing magazines for the rest of my life!!

There might be some other solution for these (there are several viable options for this), as it would be good to have this content online of course - it's just not my personal project as the music stuff has more of a value to me.

*If* I can build up a community of people willing to help, and build out the toolset into a more collaborative process, then it might be more feasible to include this stuff without me having to be a bottleneck for everything - and this kind of thing is on my radar, but doing that work to extend the CMS is a significant effort and for where we are now, that effort is best spent elsewhere...

Thanks Hugh - all feedback or extra info is always welcomed!
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:28 pm

desmond wrote: These are publications where I have not officially confirmed the last issue (this is also indicated in the text popup when you hover over it)

Ah -- apologies -- I hadn't realised it was an interactive chart! Makes perfect sense now, thanks. ;)

Thanks - I knew about the existence of Resolution, but didn't know much more about it.

Fair enough. As you say, the waters start to get muddied when trying to differentiate between music production and audio production, but if you're going to include Studio Sound -- and I agree that you should -- Resolution needs to be there too as it really is its natural heir. ;)

But, as far as the publishing timeline goes, I agree it would be useful to lock down dates for some of those publications, and to at least include them on the publishing timeline, so I'll add it to my list of things to look at.

Thanks -- I do think that would be a helpful and worthwhile addition to the timeline chart as time and research allows, but I'm certainly not suggesting you should add the actual content to your archives. That really would be a step beyond!
Hugh Robjohns

Postby desmond » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:34 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Fair enough. As you say, the waters start to get muddied when trying to differentiate between music production and audio production, but if you're going to include Studio Sound -- and I agree that you should -- Resolution needs to be there too as it really is its natural heir. ;)

Yes, completely agree... I'll have a look at improving this. :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:34 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:You might also want to incorporate Audio Media, and Sound On Sound's other sister titles such as Sound On Stage, Sound Pro, Performing Musician...

Hugh - do you know offhand what date AudioMedia started? Best I have at the moment is the early nineties.

Also, can't find much info on "Sound Pro" that you mentioned, if you can help, that would be great also... thanks!
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:53 pm

I'll need to consult my archive, but I can let you have all the details tomorrow...

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby desmond » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:54 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I'll need to consult my archive, but I can let you have all the details tomorrow...

Thanks! :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:47 pm

My sources say AudioMedia's first issue was June 1990...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:48 am

desmond wrote:My sources say AudioMedia's first issue was June 1990...

That sounds about right - I seem to remember the first issue came out at the same time as that years APRS show and featured a Yamaha? digital mixing desk on the cover.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:01 am

The first edition of SoundPro had an October 1997 cover date and was launched at the IBC show in September. There were five issues...

I'll be able to confirm the first AM edition this afternoon, but June 90 sounds about right to me too...

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby desmond » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:08 am

Thanks chaps! :thumbup:

Managed to verify all the details with the British Library and also suncat.ac.uk is a nice search for this kind of stuff.. 8-)

http://www.muzines.co.uk/timeline
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:20 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:The first edition of SoundPro had an October 1997 cover date and was launched at the IBC show in September. There were five issues...

I'll be able to confirm the first AM edition this afternoon, but June 90 sounds about right to me too...

H

The first edition of Audio Media was launched in June 1990 at the annual APRS exhibition at Olympia, Kensington, London.

Being the founding Editor I should know this, but I can't lay my hands on my copies of AM... think it was a "June" cover date, and it featured a world-exclusive review of the Yamaha DMR8 digital recorder/mixer on the cover (reviewed by SOS Editorial Director Dave Lockwood).
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 11,258 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:37 am

Now that you have a dedicated Pro/Broadcast section you might consider adding 'LineUp' which was the journal of the Institute of Broadcast Sound (IBS) -- now renamed the Institute of Professional Sound (IPS) and was considered one of the best industry trade magazines for broadcast sound. It ran from February 1988 to July 2009. I presided over that magazines closure, too... :-(

There was also another short-lived broadcast-oriented sister magazine to Studio Sound in the late 80s called Broadcast Engineering (I think) -- I'll confirm the dates and title of that this afternoon too (I need to go down to my archives in my remote man-cave to check!)

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby desmond » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:48 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Now that you have a dedicated Pro/Broadcast section you might consider adding 'LineUp' which was the journal of the Institute of Broadcast Sound (IBS) -- now renamed the Institute of Professional Sound (IPS) and was considered one of the best industry trade magazines for broadcast sound.

Added, thanks!

Hugh Robjohns wrote:There was also another short-lived broadcast-oriented sister magazine to Studio Sound in the late 80s called Broadcast Engineering (I think) -- I'll confirm the dates and title of that this afternoon too (I need to go down to my archives in my remote man-cave to check!)

Yes, I was aware of this one - info would be most useful, thanks Hugh.
desmond
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext